what tools do I need?

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
Hi everyone!

I own a Cannondale R600, and have been thinking of buying some basic (cost friendly, hopefully :) tools so that i can do basic tune up procedures. I am mostly concerned about adjusting the derailer (front and back) and adjusting brake and shift line tension.

I have a ultegra rear deraler, tiagra on the front, and 105's for the brakes.

Thanks everyone! -

P.S. if i could buy a small kit that would do all of this, and be compact enough to be pact away into a sadle pouch, or better yet come in its own case that would be wonderfull

Thanks again
cam

foild1 said:
Hi everyone!

I own a Cannondale R600, and have been thinking of buying some basic (cost friendly, hopefully :) tools so that i can do basic tune up procedures. I am mostly concerned about adjusting the derailer (front and back) and adjusting brake and shift line tension.

I have a ultegra rear deraler, tiagra on the front, and 105's for the brakes.

Thanks everyone! -

P.S. if i could buy a small kit that would do all of this, and be compact enough to be pact away into a sadle pouch, or better yet come in its own case that would be wonderfull

Thanks again
cam
An allen wrench and small screwdriver.

I carry three Allen keys, a small adjustable, one tyre lever and a spare tube. And a pump.

At home I keep rather more.

My kit has a tube/pump and patch kit with tyre levers (metal). Allen Key bits and screwdriver bits and 1 driver to put them in. This is probably all that you really need
I also carry a chain tool, spoke tool, Touring cassette remover (small), a spare chain link, a small piece of flat rubber in case of a larger hole in the tyre causing 'pinch' punctures, and also a small led headlamp for fixups in the dark. It all fits into a not very large seatbag. I also have a spare spoke taped to a chain stay for the back wheel for if it breaks on the way to work. If you have room and don't mind the weight these are all handy to have and didn't add too much.

You need to carry a few basic tools and tyre levers that's all - get you home tools and something to make adjustments with.

As well as Allen keys / hex wrenches, screwdrivers and spanners, a chain link tool can be essential at times

Something that fits in your pocket with all these thins is the M-IGHTY tool

Nice and compact and in a case to keep your pockets clean!