What trailer will take a kayak?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Keating, May 24, 2003.

  1. Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
    trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else. I've had a look at
    Orbit's offerings http://www.orbit-cycles.com

    Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.net

    Tags:

  2. >I've had a look at Orbit's offerings http://www.orbit-cycles.com

    That comes up as false URL

    Should be http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/ ??

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 24 May, Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits.

    I've seen a photo somehwere of a side-car sort of assembly for transporting a kayak by
    bicycle. Kayak was on edge, alongside rider, centred longitudinally at some point along the
    chainstays, I think.

    I have no idea where I saw it, whether it was home-made, or whether it was any use for anything
    other than kayaks, so I'm not sure my observation is of any use.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  4. John J

    John J Guest

    Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

    Peter Addie can be seen towing a kayak on a homebuilt trailer in Velovision magazine issue 5. I have
    just checked Velovision's website but they only have a small photo - not much use. I have heard of
    someone strapping pram wheels and axle to a kayak, fitting a drawbar to the front and towing it that
    way! I have built an adaptable trailer for my Pedalmouse boat, (and just about anything else I need
    to tow). It's on the trailer page of my website: http://xntrick.co.uk/ . I am thinking of doing a
    'How to build a trailer' page soon. In the meantime, if you decide to build one yourself, email me
    if you want more advice.

    John J

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Richard Keatinge wrote:
    > Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
    > trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else.

    I knew I'd seen this asked and answered before, so I did a quick Google search (there was a thread
    in June 2001 headed "trailer for a kayak").

    From there, I found these 2 links: http://www.efn.org/~equinox/canoe.html http://www.portagepal.com/

    I didn't see any trailers at the second site designed to be towed by a bike, but then I didn't look
    very thoroughly.

    Thomas Paine

  6. Sat, 24 May 2003 13:56:43 +0100, Richard Keatinge:

    >Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
    >trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else.

    Look at the Vitelli Camping: A nice, light trailer for touring or shopping. You can add a piece of
    tube to allow transport of a canoe. See the last page of:

    http://www.vitelli.ch/pdf/montage/Camp2000.pdf

    Made for years by a small swiss company and distributed in the UK by 2+2:

    http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/gtrailers/vitelli.html

    Andreas

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
    > trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else. I've had a look at
    > Orbit's offerings http://www.orbit-cycles.com
    >
    > Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

    There is a copy of Velo Vision which has picture of a kayak trailer. Not sure what issue, I'll check
    tonight if no-one knows before then.

    Colin