What trailer will take a kayak?

Richard Keating

Guest
Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else. I've had a look at
Orbit's offerings http://www.orbit-cycles.com

Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.keatinge.net

On 24 May, Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote:

> Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits.

I've seen a photo somehwere of a side-car sort of assembly for transporting a kayak by
bicycle. Kayak was on edge, alongside rider, centred longitudinally at some point along the
chainstays, I think.

I have no idea where I saw it, whether it was home-made, or whether it was any use for anything
other than kayaks, so I'm not sure my observation is of any use.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Richard Keatinge <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

Peter Addie can be seen towing a kayak on a homebuilt trailer in Velovision magazine issue 5. I have
just checked Velovision's website but they only have a small photo - not much use. I have heard of
someone strapping pram wheels and axle to a kayak, fitting a drawbar to the front and towing it that
way! I have built an adaptable trailer for my Pedalmouse boat, (and just about anything else I need
to tow). It's on the trailer page of my website: http://xntrick.co.uk/ . I am thinking of doing a
'How to build a trailer' page soon. In the meantime, if you decide to build one yourself, email me
if you want more advice.

John J

Richard Keatinge wrote:
> Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
> trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else.

I knew I'd seen this asked and answered before, so I did a quick Google search (there was a thread
in June 2001 headed "trailer for a kayak").

From there, I found these 2 links: http://www.efn.org/~equinox/canoe.html http://www.portagepal.com/

I didn't see any trailers at the second site designed to be towed by a bike, but then I didn't look
very thoroughly.

Thomas Paine

Sat, 24 May 2003 13:56:43 +0100, Richard Keatinge:

>Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
>trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else.

Look at the Vitelli Camping: A nice, light trailer for touring or shopping. You can add a piece of
tube to allow transport of a canoe. See the last page of:

http://www.vitelli.ch/pdf/montage/Camp2000.pdf

Made for years by a small swiss company and distributed in the UK by 2+2:

http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/gtrailers/vitelli.html

Andreas

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Serious question, honest. I'm only a mile from the Menai Straits. But it also occurs to me that a
> trailer that will take a kayak should also cope with almost anything else. I've had a look at
> Orbit's offerings http://www.orbit-cycles.com
>
> Would they do the trick? Or has anyone built their own?

There is a copy of Velo Vision which has picture of a kayak trailer. Not sure what issue, I'll check
tonight if no-one knows before then.

Colin