What Training Do I need to be doing to Make the Athens Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD-CYCLIST

Jan 16, 2003
Dear Fello Cyclists

I am New Member to this Forum and from what I can see its a pretty Informative Forum, I am a Lebanese National Living in London, I also Have the British Nationality as well as a host of others.
I am writing here to ask for your help, I am a Athlete who does Long Distance Running Mainly the 5000Meters But I have been Recently Told that My body is Kinda Big for a Long Distance Runner and I look more of a Cyclist, I would Like to know if someone Out there can Help me By telling me How mucg Cycling and what Type of training do I need to be Doing a week for me to Make the Athens Olympics, As you may think i Am a Little Crazy that It takes Years of training in cycling to make the Olympic Games But I am Sure I can Make it as there are No International Lebanese Cyclist and I believe as long as I can Clock a Reasonable time I might be able to make the Olympics, but what I dont know is what Training do I need to be doing if I have just started out, I am looking Mainly on Road Cycling But maybe interested in mountain Biking but anyways I hope some one Can help me and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Hi

Ok, I can't quit make up my mind to believe you or not(sorry), but either way seing people replies should be good fun. If your for real you can be "our own" prodigy and it will be very interresting to see how you get on with it it.
My advice:
1. Stick to the road! Mtb as alot about technic aswell(more than the road anyway) and you have plenty do with just pumping the pedals for the moment.
2. Ride, ride and then ride somemore! I'll leave the more specific plan for someone with more experience than me.

I think there is more to making the olympics than being able to ride a bike faster than anyone in your country. I recall rules regarding this were put in place at the commonwealth games a few(?) years ago after a couple of blokes from an island nation made the sport look like abit of a joke.

I could be wrong though, you have nothing to lose either way, the only way to fail forsure is not to try :)

cheers!

Dear Admin and Jalabert

I can Assure you that I am Being for Real I am very determind to make the Athens Olympics if not as a runner becouse of the Size of my body then Definetly as a Cyclist, I have represented my Borough at the Heathrow youth games which are the Biggest Youth Sports Events in Europe I did Cycling and the Triathlon I have also cycled in the London Bikethon which was a 26.2 Miles Charity Cycling Event.
I would really want advice on how to train for a major championships I am willing to train 7 days a week and willing to do the hard work it will take but all I need is advice on training and guidense so please if you think you can help me then please do well I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Hi,

Have you tried doing any U23, or senior road races, to get a feel for your fitness level. They're likely to be very different to the Youth Games, and Charity bike events.

Also, it'd give the people here, including myself an idea of where your fitness is and then we might be able to give you some training ideas.

If you're serious (which i'm not doubting) then it'd be very worthwhile checking out a coach, so that you can progress as quickly as possible.

A list of online coaches is here http://www.abcc.freeserve.co.uk/coachweb.html

and a list of ABCC coaches is here
http://www.abcc.freeserve.co.uk/coachreg.html

Or please feel free to contact me,
Ric

Dear Ricstern

My Fitness Level is around the 60to70 Per cent Having Just come back from a Injury but I believe I will be at 150 per cent fitness by the Biggining of March, I would Like to say again and again I will do what ever it takes to make the Olympic Games I am determind and I am a hard working athlete Off course I have University and other Commitments along the way but one thing is I am different than every other athlete on this planet, I am Psycologically better and fitter than every athlete on this planet I might be racing againt neil amstrong or some other top class Cyclict but I beleive on the I can be a Match to them as Long as I am fully Fit so Please Some one help me andsome one give me advice so I can make the Athens Olympics,well I hope to hear from any one And I mean every One whether you charge for your services or wether you want to train a Olympic Athlete so you can Put it on your C.V I want to hear from you please, I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Do a senior road race in uk, you probally wont be able to get into the big races i.e. e/1/2 cause you will be a cat4.You may get into them if there is a not so full field of elites/1st and 2nds, then the 3rds and 4th get chosen.

The difference from even 2cat to elite is huge and in the Olympics games then it is the same again.If you cannot gain over 100 points this season in road racing in the uk, when it comes to the games(assuming you got selected on Country only), you would be blown out the back in 5 minutes.

But I suppose you are willing to train 7 days a week, so you will have an advantage over everybody else this season, as all the Elites, 1st and 2nd Cats here only train 1 or 2 days a week and go to the pub, and eat burgers the rest of the week.

How fast do you run? Cooper test, marathon or the time for some other distance that might tell a bit about your form?

Dear Jalabert

I clocked a 21.52 5K Time on Wensday but that is only after One training session as I have just come Back from an injury and I am sure I can Run a 5k in sub 17 Minutes with all the correct training and My fitness Level Being 100 per cent, but I really am starting to think that my Career in sports really is with cycling and I am defently Sure I want to Do the transition from Running to Cycling hence why I am willing to train 7 days a week, I do not really Eat greasy food becouse of my athletics and I take a lot of Vitamines and drink and eat a lot of fruits juices and fruits.

Dear Bikerjoe

Where do I get my Catigory Lisence or Permit so I can race in these Events you are talking about and also where can I get information regarding races in the United Kingdom and Europe, well I hope to hear from you both very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

http://www.bcf.uk.com/

Has all the info about getting race licence etc, dont know if they have the 2003 calendar yet,but has all the info about racing on it.What is your time for a 10mile,25mile TT?

Dear Bikerjoe

Sinse I have not done any Competiteve Cycling Before It would be very hard for me to give a Time for a 10 mile or a 25 mile time trial as I have not Taken part in one But if you have any information regarding any up coming time trials then please forward me the information, also regarding the lisences I went to that very helpfull website you provided me with and They said I must be a member of an affiliated Cycling Club so I am looking for some clubs near where I live which is West London ealing to Be more accurate well I hope to hear from you again very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

one of these two regions should cover the area where you live, and these are all the BC registered clubs in those regions

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubsasp/south_east.asp
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubsasp/central.asp

Your best bet would be to find a suitable club nearby, and start going out on club runs with them. Generally, club runs are 2+ hours in duration, and this should give you a vague idea of how you stack up against the regular club rider. Some of the riders will also have some good advice to pass on.

Once you have an idea for the sport, where the duration of the RR could be ~5+ hours in duration at the Olympics, and have decided whether you like it, it'd be worth getting in touch with a coach, who would be able to 'fastrack' you, as you appear to have quite a lot of time to train to.

Feel free to give me a shout at [email protected], or one of the other coaches on the lists.

keep the rubber side down,
Ric

Dear Ricstern

Thank you very much for them Links I found 6 clubs which are very near to me and I am going to contact them on Monday so I should hopefully get a reply from them very soon, I will also need to buy my self a racing Bike and also racing equipments I have defently Decided to move onto Cycling and I am getting more motivated by the day regarding the prospect of making the Athens Olympics, well I hope you will carry on helping me and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

If i remember correctly from the Sydney Olympics there are a number of wild card entries available for most sports which require no qualifying. These generally go to countries with no strong history in a sport.

Now i'm not suggesting that you won't be up to the required standard in time but you don't have much time to qualify in the usual manner.

So i'd suggest that you contact your countries Olympic organisation and see if they are willing to put your name forward for one of these spots.

Good luck and when training and racing remember "the mind always fails first, not the body"

Originally posted by Duckwah

So i'd suggest that you contact your countries Olympic organisation and see if they are willing to put your name forward for one of these spots.

This is important. It's not enough beiing the best cyclist of your country. But you have to be selected by your country upon quality. So idd ask both your OC and the UCI regsitered cycling union of your country if its possible to represent your country for cycling and what results tehy require from you.

If you wanna do the road race it will be hard to reach a level to be able to follow the bunch a reasonable amount of time when you still have to learn the basics. It might be better to go for TT Recquires less technique, less experience and you can do the full distance whatever your level of cyclng.

Dear Maarten

sorry for the delay in my reply but those last words of yours are very true and very wise I like them and They have motivated me even more, well I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Originally posted by MD-CYCLIST
Dear Maarten

sorry for the delay in my reply but those last words of yours are very true and very wise I like them and They have motivated me even more, well I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Don't know why you want to hear from me but you can ask/tell me what you want.
I just wanted to give a realistic vieuw. Riding 50km/u in a Pack in a flat stage isn't that big deal. But when having crosswinds or a nice hill it gets different if some of the guys then put the hammer down it can be over quite fast.

Also really make sure you check your olympic comite in my country for example standards are high if you have no big chance in finishing top 10(for most events) you just stay at home, being our best or willing to pay it yourself doesn't matter.

To be clear,I don't want to demotivate you, I just want to give a fairly realistic vieuw and some remarks to prevent disappointment afterwards.

I'd be interested in how much running you have done and what you consider to be your best time. Only I've been running for a year, I'm 34, I was never considered athletic at school and my best 10k is 37 minutes - in fact it's the only 10k I have ever run. In other words even a 17 minute 5k would not be considered exceptional - especially on a track. Having recently started to get into cycling I reckon that to reach a decent standard requires more time on the bike than most runners are typically able to put in. Even top marathoners top out at about 120 miles a week (except for a few freaks who do up to about 200 during certain phases of training) which they are probably covering at an average of well under 6 minute miles - race pace being under 5 minute miles for men. In other words if you haven't been able to achieve a sub 17 minute 5k you will either have to up your effort substantially or you better hope you have a lot more natural ability on a bike than of foot.

Having said that you never know until you try. I would devote the first year at least to putting in mileage - not junk miles but not flat out efforts either. I'm not an experienced rider but I'd have thought that if you are full time then at least 400 miles a week should be achievable? I'd probably supplement that with some short fast efforts maybe on a turbo trainer - in running it is important not to turn into a plodder from too many long runs - again a cyclist can advise if the thinking is the same in this sport.
Finally I would joing a club and enter occasional time trials of various distances. THe club members will be able to advise you on technique etc and riding with them will provide a target to aim at.

Hey,

I have got a way for you to Qualify.....every pre Olympic year the UCI hold the 'B' World Championships. This year i have heard for the men the top 15 earn a qualifying slot to the games. I may be wrong on that number though. Here is the rule off the UCI web site to state who can race the 'B' World champs. I am sure from Lebanon you will be OK.

"Men’s road events:
National federations ranked below 30th place in the UCI nations ranking on 1 January of the current
year. However, neither riders classified in the first 500 of the UCI individual rankings on 1 January
of the current year nor any rider belonging to a trade team may take part."

This year the championships will be held in July at the World Cycling Centre in Switzerland. Try speak to your National Federation about it.

If you do go let me know, cause i will be racing them for sure!

Dear Dianne

I thank you very very Much for the Information Its Sounds Like a Great Idea for me I just want to know do these Championships Have a Website and are this Championships Time Trials Only or Both road race and Time trials, well By the way you have a Picture of Shakira did you know she is Half Lebanese Her Father is from a Suburb of Beirut which is Not far from My Late Aunties House He is a cool I only meet him Briefly and I did not realise he was her dad Until it was too late ah well I am going to Lebanon in August lets Hope I can meet him if I go to his Parents House and also I can celebrate if I make the Olympics, you said you where going to these Championships, You must be good How old are you and what Standard are you at, I am just about to Get out of Hybernation and get onto a full 8 weeks Training Routine that is going to Increase my Muscular ability as well as Increase my speed Endurance as well as my Stamina so I am just about to also join a Cycling Club So I will only be a catigory 4 rider down here in London But By May its sounds a little to ambitious but I want to move to Catigory 3 at least I am determind to make the Olympic Games and I am willing to Fight it out and train Hard for it, well Keep me in touch of your progress and if you can give me any training tips Please forward them to [email protected], I would very much appretiete and good Luck with your training and I hope to hear from you very very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Status
Not open for further replies.