What Training Do I need to be doing to Make the Athens Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Hadra!

I think this preparation is not very serious...

Personnaly, I made 2500 km in one month, with 180 friday in 6 hours, beacuse I couldn't have ride this winter. It's very important to make about 3000 kilometers of endurance training (max 80% of you heart level) before do any intensive training...

And then, it's very important to make preparation races because rythm is very difficult to have without races...

I think if you wants to progress, you must makes races and races...

For TT, the level is quite high as said Powermad...

I think it's possisbvle to prepare you for the future, but if you want to progress you must make races every weeks...

Good luck!

Sincerely

Sylvain;)

Dear Sylvain and Powermad

What you hav said is very true Yes My preparation is not the best it should be or could have been but My main aim for this Summer is to Win a Medal at the Pan Arab Games and I am going to the B World Championships for the experience and also to give me a taste of the standard out there.
I must correct you it is not a 25mile Time trial its a 25 Kilometer Time trial I am sure I can do very well at it, as for the 151kilometer road race I will finish it and My main aim is he top 30 to 50 riders I am sure I can do it I have trained my body and mind to do well so I am hoping to do well in both events Well I thank you very much for the good lucks and If you have any advice please e,mail it to me, I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Originally posted by MD-CYCLIST
Dear Powermad

No I have not done a Proper race as yet I am still conditioning my body to have a lot endurance in my legs, having said that I have been doing 54min 56min in training for 25km which I think is not that bad But I have Hooked up with a Coach who is going to help do a Sub 52min for the 25km I feel very confident I will Be able to come in the top 10 in the 25km time trials at the B World Championships Between me and you my Training in the time trial has been so effective I think i could sneek in with a top 3 time

A 52 minute time for a 25km time trial is only an average of about 27-28kph, you wouldn't get a top 3 with a time like that in any time trial anywhere, let alone a world title (unless is was a 25km climb) :rolleyes:

How about rocking up to a race next weekend and putting your 'big' talk into action, we wanna see results MD :)

cheers

Dear Steve

I just love people like you They try to indirectly Disregard other people's abilities and talents, But Ilove it man I use critism to my Advantage, have you not known athletes and cyclists saying tey think they are not up to the level they should be but then on race day they come out with a World record, well I am one f those I am going to the B World To cause a Upset and To give people a little Suprise and before anyone says I am not on Steriods The only sports suppliment I take is Creatine and I dont think that is Iligal, well I will Break 49min for the time Trail and I will be in the Leading to Chasing PACK in the road race so Keep on supporting me I am a sure Bet people,as for racing Next week its out of the Question, I am only racing 2 races and 2 time trials and all 4 are in june so I will wait till then and I wil start posting results in june of all my races, well Steve please keep on saying what you are I will use it to phyc my self up, well I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra.

P.S I talk the talk and I guarantee I will walk the walk, remember you cant walk with crawling first.

MD,

I think its time to wake up, if you are talking on training on indoor cycles in a gym this is not the same as riding for real.
And the times you mention are just very poor

52 minutes for 25k is less then 29km/h
I know 16 year olds who do this in 32 minutes or less.

29km/u is barely training its closer to warm up.

You can now write a reply about motivation and not enough respect from me. But this is just my sound advice with the times you mention and saying that you still have to start doing 3h sessions you are just making a fool of yourself.

Greetz

Maarten

MD,

i have to agree with Maarten, Steve, and others, at those speeds, you're producing about 150 W, which is way off the pace -- alot of (male) club cyclists could maintain that type of effort for about 12 hours, non stop.

Even at double that power output, for an average size male, that would only put you about second category ability.

Whilst i have no data from a 'B' world championships (i have from the 'A') i can't imagine that it is that dissimilar in terms of required fitness.

If your test is accurate (i.e., ~ 29 km/hr for 25 km) and that was truly your best effort, then your coach is doing you a major disservice by allowing you to think that you'll go top 10 at the B worlds TT (unless there's only 10 people taking part).

Continue to train and work hard, you will improve, but i feel you need to alter your goals accordingly.

I don't understand why you'd take creatine, it won't help you for your events or training (although there might be a *vague* possibility it would if you were a vegetarian).

Ric

I agree with the others with the time...I make 180 km in 6 hours and I'm just a little rider... In TT races the level is about 45 Km/h...

I don't agrre with your taking of cretin : in France it's forbidden vbecause it don't increase the level and it's very dangerous for the body...ther is secondary effects...

I advice you really to make races...

Good luck and good training!

Sylvain

Dear All

I am very greatfull for your advice and Concerns, I would like to this Chance to Thank you as its pretty sound advice and very much appreciated concerns about me, I would like to ask you many of you are saying, 52m for a 25km is a very bad time I am sure me and My coach Now that But like I told you this was on a Gym Bike I mean I can I can Run a 10k in 32 Minutes I did In march New Personal Best, I can run a Half Marathon in 75Min Flats, I am sure I noticed that 52min for cycling a 25km was very bad compared to the times I am running,I am sure I can cycle at 24-7mph for the road race as for the 25km I am sure I can this in a very very respectable time, I mean what time would you lot think is a good time for the top 10to15 places in The B World Championships and what do you think is the correct KM/H to acheive a top 10 to 15 Places, Trust me people I am not trying to make a fool of my self I know what my abilities are and I know what level I am now at, I was very horriefied when Maartan said what he said But its Understandable, There was a breakdown in communication, I was trying to say something But my expression was Put in the wrong way and It looked like I was doing very bad times and Distance, so I would like to take this moment and correct my self and some of you, My time for the 25km is only 52min in a gym bike because I want it to be Like I am able to go at least 60% per cent faster than what I am doing on the bike in the gym I am able to do a very good time in the 25km and I intend to finish in the top 10 to 15 People, as for the road race i will be happy with a top 30 to 50 Places, well I thank you again for your support and help and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

P.S Sylvain My second name is KHADRA not HADRA just I though I should mention it

Hadra, contrary to what you say, I think you will be well off the pace. Ability in one sports does not transfer to another. Training for a particular sport is all about specificity -- practising in training the aspects you will need in the race. For time trialling that means training to go fast at lactate threshold and that takes years to develop, not a few months on the gym bike.

Those gym bikes are not specific, making you use different muscles that riding a TT bike in an aero position. They are also often a lot easier to ride that a **real** bike. When you get into a lower aero position on a TT bike, it's going to hurt and your power will be much lower (since you haven't trained the same muscles on the gym bike).

As for the time/distance, I know the World B TT is 25km, but 52mins is a good time for 25miles. For 25km a top 5 time in the World B's would be 30-32minutes I guess, something around 48-50kph (30-31mph) on a flat course. To be able to race like this you need to be pushing 30miles per hour (48kph) for 12-15minute intervals in training. Since you have so little training on a real bike, in a time trial position, I doubt you could phsyically ride at 30mph at all, let alone for longer than 2 minutes before exhaustion.

Good luck, but I think you are setting your sights unrealistically high and this will harm your motivation when you don't realise these dreams. Bike racing is hard, as are the people who continue to do it despite the hard work required. Your determination to succeed is not enough... all bike racers have that same determination otherwise they would not be in this sport.

I find the title of this thread quite funny What Training Do I need to be doing to Make the Athens Olympics

As if anyone who's going to get a ride in the 2004 Olympic's doesn't already know what it takes for them to get there! :rolleyes:

MD nobody here will take you serious until they see your name on an entry list and more importantly in the results for an actual race!

cheers

Originally posted by steve
I find the title of this thread quite funny What Training Do I need to be doing to Make the Athens Olympics

As if anyone who's going to get a ride in the 2004 Olympic's doesn't already know what it takes for them to get there! :rolleyes:

Quite true Steve ... :D Originally I thought this thread was a troll as it seemed such a stupid question. Anyone with talent would be recognised by local talent spotters then the national cycling federations and wouldb be given all the support & coaching necessary. For someone to switch sports, train on a gym bike then go and ride the Olympics/World's is hilarious. Especially when they haven't raced & won against even local competition (which is much weaker than World B class). Hadra, you will be lucky to not finish last. If you can ride a 10mile TT in under 30minutes I would be suprised, nevermind riding it in 19-20minutes for World-B class level. roflmao.

Dear Steve/Powermad

Whats Up with the Gym Bike People I have actually got a road Racing Bike that I train On you are thinking and Putting all your efforts on this Gym Bike, Come on people There are time when you cannot use your Road Bike So I use a Gym bike Now to Loose anytime Training, as For the Name of this Post I choose it As it was the best Title that came to My head at that time, I am now well known by my national Federation, I am also known by Local sports Authority, I mean I have represented my Borough in Cycling and Triathlon in the 2000 London Heathrow Youth Games I have been cycling for more than you lot think I have, I just took my Athletics More seriously than I took My cycling at that time But now I am taking my Cycling more Seriously and I mean you lot can say what ever you want Its your opinion If you think I am a fool who set your sights up to high then thats you opinion, But Who's to say I am not able to acheive what I say I am going to acheive You lot are not god and you lot are not inside my mind or body, But Like I said I will do well at the B World Championships, Like I said I am looking long term As in long term to the 2004 Athens Olympics and I am using the B World as A experience and Also my short term for this season is to make the PAN ARAB Games in September which I know I can make All I need is even more practice, You mentioned You will not take me seriously till my name is on the start list well its going to be for the B WORLD championships and It will be for the 2004 Athens Olympics, well Keep on Going people I know me and you dont, I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H KHADRA not HADRA.

Dear Powermad

I forgot to mention to you my P.B for the 10mile TT is 22Min set on a Mountain Bike 2 Years ago.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

A long term goal is not training for next year Kadra. A long term goal would be the 2008 olympics. To think you can train from nothing to world-class level in 1-year is just silly.

I forgot to mention to you my P.B for the 10mile TT is 22Min set on a Mountain Bike 2 Years ago.

Really? Are you sure? In your first message you said you had just switched, or were considering switching from running, so how come you did a 22 for a 10 2 years ago??

What was the name of the event and the date... let me know and I will look-up the results. Riding a 22 for 10mile is quite good, depending on the course, but I doubt you could do that on a mountain bike! C'mon, now you're just been ridiculous. And if you can ride 22 for a 10 then you'd realise the 52mins for 25k (16mile) is not very good at all.

I think you're just making this all up now Kadra!

MD:

I have been reading your posts for some time now. I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to ride, be a runner, or triathlete???

I agree with Steve, Ric, Maarten, Powermad, and others. Talk is cheap. I'm not accusing you of "talking ****," and I realize there is a potential language barrier/variable that may be confusing things, but people want to see results.

You have asked for sponsorship for some time now. No sponsor would ever give you 2 seconds of their time without something solid to show them. And they want to see a lot more than one solid performance. They want to see consistent results, results that will give them maximum exposure on the podium, a maximum return on their investment.

Riding a road bike on a trainer is an excellent way to get fit, but I can't imagine a real cycling coach recommending/allowing you to "train" on a Lifecycle, or other gym "bike."

Cycling is the most humbling of all sports, much more so than in running. No matter how fast you think you are, there is always someone who can do something on the bike better than you.

My best time so far for a "10" is 22:03 on a regular road bike over rolling terrain. That's still 30-60 seconds off the typical 1-2-Pro times on the same course. A guy who could ride a 20:30 would have a hard time getting sponorship, let alone me. I can assure you, no sponsor would let me tell them my name before they hung up the phone on me!!! You won't be seeing me at the Olympics either!!!

I realize that cycling in your part of the world is not popular like it is elsewhere. Maybe you could get local sponsorship. Regardless, if you ever compete against riders in other countries, I think you would be amazed at how fast they are. If you want to be a good pro, you need to be able to crack 20 minutes for a "10" and 50 minutes for a "25." That's around 30 mph average speed. Top amateurs can do this.

Anyway man, understand that we have been hearing you talk about your abilities for a while now. Nobody would be questioning what you say if you didn't talk so much about what you can do.

Good luck to you, and hopefully you will meet your goals. We want to see what you can do!!!

Later!!!

well I will Break 49min for the time Trail and I will be in the Leading to Chasing PACK in the road race so Keep on supporting me

I missed this one. 49 minutes for the 25km TT is very slow MD. You will be a laughing stock at this speed. And if you think the same pace will get you in the leading/chasing group in the road race then you are just dreaming. The Pan Arab games might not be as well contested as the World B's but I think you'll find some very very experienced and talented riders there also. If you truly believe you can do well at these games you are either very naive or arrogant.

If I were you I would watch out for the local kids on mountain bikes as they will give more than enough racing competition for the moment. :D

Have you started racing yet MD? You said you would be racing 4 times in June, 2 road races and 2 time trials? I guess you are racing this weekend and the next four weekends??

Which events are you racing in?

Good luck!

Not sure why cycling is more humbling that running - I'd have thought they are both honest sports - try racing against someone that can bang out 5 minute miles for a half marathon when you are 90 seconds a mile behind and that is humbling.

But MD let me say I don't believe you can run 32 minute 10k and 75 minute half marathon. These are very good (though hardly international class) times - for example a decent provincial half marathon will be won in sub 1.10 - although you could pick small events and win them in 1.15. Running results are fairly well documented so could you tell me what races you set your pbs in - or in fact any race you have set a time in so i can check it out?

Also I am a much slower runner than you - 37 minute 10k off a years training - and I'm in my mid 30s - yet after 2 months cycling doing 50 miles a week I can already thrash the **** off your TT time on a 15 year old steel bike. Top cyclists - club cyclists not pros - are incredibly fast and to be honest my long term goal (as in years) is to be able to fit in with your average club cycle racer in terms of time. I'm not boasting - I am saying that if I can beat you you will be at the back of any TT you can find in the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.