What Tubs For Racing??

Mlimacher

Jan 17, 2007
Has anyone out there got any good recomedations for tubs for racing. Last year was my first year on tubs and I used Tufo S3 lite tubs. Very light at 215g. But I suffered from a few punctures through the year. I know oter people have used these and never had a puncture on them so it might be just poor luck.

But if any one has some good recomedations for tubs I woul dbe very reagfull.:) :cool: :) :cool:

Mlimacher said:
Has anyone out there got any good recomedations for tubs for racing. Last year was my first year on tubs and I used Tufo S3 lite tubs. Very light at 215g. But I suffered from a few punctures through the year. I know oter people have used these and never had a puncture on them so it might be just poor luck.

But if any one has some good recomedations for tubs I woul dbe very reagfull.:) :cool: :) :cool:

For the most suppleness, Challenge, Vittoria or Veloflex. For less so but more durability, Conti Sprinter.

From a guy that rides tubies everyday he rides.

Peter@vecchios said:
Guy needs to learn how to glue tubies.
I believe that was his point in updating this doc. He discovered that he wasn't gluing the tire on to the rim appropriately thus giving inaccurate Crr values to tubies vs. Clinchers.

Dave

dkrenik said:
I believe that was his point in updating this doc. He discovered that he wasn't gluing the tire on to the rim appropriately thus giving inaccurate Crr values to tubies vs. Clinchers.

Dave

Even when updated, 2 tubes per tire is a lot of glue.

AND the Crr differences are so tiny, considering Crr overshadows the real reasons tubies are a good idea. BUT the advantages are tough to measure.

Peter@vecchios said:

AND the Crr differences are so tiny, considering Crr overshadows the real reasons tubies are a good idea. BUT the advantages are tough to measure.

Two tubes per tire? Christ, that's a lot of glue.

Peter@vecchios said:

Agreed on amount of glue and that there may be other reasons for using sew-ups. Whether or not the "other reasons" are truly beneficial would depend upon the use-case.

What I've found interesting is the difference between using a latex and a butyl tubes in a clincher tire. Also how generally poor Continental clinchers are wrt rolling resistance.

Dave

Confidence in a tire definitely trumps Crr. For example, having skated in the rain on Michelin tires, I've got zero confidence in them, so it's unlikely my clinchers will ever sprout PR3's. I've got zero faith that Conti clinchers won't puncture, but my favorite tubbies are Sprinter Gatorskins. Go figure. They're tough, and inflated to identical pressures, they feel no different than Vittoria Corsa EVO CX's, KX's, CS's....

It all definitely comes down to user preference and proclivities. Some folks will claim with FMB tubies, they can feel a gnat when they run over one. Other folks? Eh, not so much.

alienator said:
Confidence in a tire definitely trumps Crr. For example, having skated in the rain on Michelin tires, I've got zero confidence in them, so it's unlikely my clinchers will ever sprout PR3's. I've got zero faith that Conti clinchers won't puncture, but my favorite tubbies are Sprinter Gatorskins. Go figure. They're tough, and inflated to identical pressures, they feel no different than Vittoria Corsa EVO CX's, KX's, CS's....

It all definitely comes down to user preference and proclivities. Some folks will claim with FMB tubies, they can feel a gnat when they run over one. Other folks? Eh, not so much.

I ride on Vittorias, they are great and supple. Ride is, in my opinion, completely different and great. I have also clincher rims which I use less. Clinchers are earsier to find, cheaper, more easy and quicker to repair. But did I say that tubulars feel great :cool:

After a race I'd suggest gettin in a Hot Tub with some Victoria's Secret Models.
During the race, the anticipation of this should give you enough motivation to smash your opposition in the mad sprint finish...:D

Apart from Vittoria and Veloflex, consider also Conty GP4000 (it's not in latex, though its rubber compound is innovative and very performant) or Gommitalia Espresso (it's a tyre done with natural rubber, similar to the vittoria open-evo cx or the veloflex criterium)

Sikhandar said:
Apart from Vittoria and Veloflex, consider also Conty GP4000 (it's not in latex, though its rubber compound is innovative and very performant) or Gommitalia Espresso (it's a tyre done with natural rubber, similar to the vittoria open-evo cx or the veloflex criterium)

Lacing is on the tread side rather than the base tape side on these tires PLUS VERY expensive for what they are. Cannot repair, why I don't use 'em.