What type of bike do you commute to work on

JTE83 said:
If I biked to work ...

I am amazed at how some people (on this thread) are biking far distances with crappy bikes.
Says it all. If...

Riding, to work, or anywhere else for that matter is what makes the difference. Doesn't matter what I ride, I just enjoy the experience. Equipment is only part of the equation. It also is intensely personal, and we each choose appropriate to our budget, our tastes, and how we intend to use the bike. If it feels good...

Just picked up a 2003 Bianchi Avenue at my local swapmeet to replace my old Mongoose XR-100 for the commute to work. Quite a change of bike. I'm looking at changing both derailleurs and the shifters soon. Anyone have suggestions on decent gear that won't dent my pocketbook too much?

I usually ride my Rivendell Quickbeam Single Speed but occasionally I'll take the Rivendell Atlantis if I feel like a change (gears primarily). I try to ride as much as possible but it's somewhat weatehr dependent for me. For instance, when the temperatures get down below zero Fahrenheit in the winter, that's just too damn cold for me!

Picked up the cannondale bad boy ultra. Rode a bunch of other bikes before I came home with the bb. What a huge difference from my mtb. The Novarra Buzz was also a good choice too. (REI $800)

My trip is 32 miles each way in the Maryland/DC suburban area. I ride downtown. Try to get in 2 trips each week. I used to ride an old Cannondale frame that I had rigged up into a light touring outfit. But, after the frame starting creeking like a tin can, I upgraded to a steel Bianchi Castro Valley. I've ridden it approximately 1,000 miles to date. I ride it stock, and so far I am liking it very much. See link:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/607.html

I ride a brand new giant boulder se with a seat bag, night hawk riding light, $5 rear light and 2 bottle cages(1 for batterie that is needed for bike light.)My old bike was a raleigh that my grandpa bought as a commuter when he was youngish :eek: (big improvent) My ride is about 4.5 miles but has 2 hills one short but the other about a half mile long. and pretty steep. the 1rst sprocket which is big is and a huge help on that hill but pretty useless on anything else.:eek:

I ride an REI Buzz.(hybrid?) Flat black, 9 speeds, "campus pedals"- clipless one side/bear trap other, 26" wheels with heavy duty Michelin tires I bought from a dealer who provides the same tire for police bike patrols. With the front light, rear light, bell, rack, lock w/cable, red milk crate (way better than panniers and great for grocery bags) and fenders the bike weighs in at around 36 lbs. I have a 22 mile (R.T.) commute from Newton, MA to downtown Boston. In addition to my daily commutes I use this bike to go everywhere from grocery shopping to visiting friends. I have commuted in the past on everything from folders to fixed gears on old steel framed racing bikes and this is by far the perfect commuter for me. I ride in all weather but loathe it when it gets icy. I usually ride into the winter until I have a good fall on the ice or snow and then hold off until it melts for good. In inclement weather and cold I outfit myself in all REI raingear, relective vest at night, cycling booties, tight fitting balaclava, gloves and sometimes Gore-Tex mitten covers when needed. This bike has paid for itself over and over again in money saved on gas, parking, parking tickets and auto maintenance.

Azulene said:
During the winter I started to ride my fixed gear bike to work. With the shorter days my fixed gear gives me a better work out.
The gang at our office use both fixed gear (when someone has to stop for coffee they need the basket on the front to carry the goods) and hybrid's. It's wet in seattle area and the hybrid offers the best combination of safety (brakes) and speed...forget the knobbies on the pavement!

pspurr said:
Says it all. If...

Riding, to work, or anywhere else for that matter is what makes the difference. Doesn't matter what I ride, I just enjoy the experience. Equipment is only part of the equation. It also is intensely personal, and we each choose appropriate to our budget, our tastes, and how we intend to use the bike. If it feels good...
I ride a specialized sirrus do about 20 miles a day a 110 a week. I have to ride through a noreaster tomorrow and they really suck cold, wind, rain, and sleet. I want to upgrade to the badboy i want a front shock has anyone experienced the sirrus and the badboy?

I have several road bikes that I alternate through the year. I currently use a Perfomance SL-1 aluminum road bike with a double. I commute just over 9 miles each way to work, so it's a perfect distance for doing it everyday. Last year I stopped in Mid December because of the cold (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). This year I was determined to get in as many days thru winter as possible. So far so good, theres been a couple of snowy and icy mornings that have been a little nerver racking, but the biggest challenge has been the cold temps. Most of December has been in the teens in the morning lowest has been about 5 degrees. I find that a double set of tights keeps me the warmest, full face ski mask, long sleeve wool cycing shirt (Panasonic shirt from the 80's) and a nice 10 year old Gortex jacket. I find the warmest gloves to be a cheap pair of ski type loves from walmart.

For lighting I use a single 15 watt front light from performance and a red flasher for the back.

What I love the most is riding past those people waiting for a crowded bus on a morning when it's 5 degrees outside and seeing there expressions (whether it be good or "your a freakin idiot").

Last year I did 4036 miles, this year I aiming for at least 4500. I guess I'll have to do some more rides on the weekends.

cdat said:
An old Ross 10 speed is my weapon of choice, however, I am looking for a mountain bike for winter- I live in Buffalo, NY, so I will need something to get through the snow.
Hey, fellow Buffalonian!

I ride year-round on my Trek hybrid, and I write about my rides on my web site:
http://www.bikeblog.us

Shasta Kiliminjaro. It's about 17 years old. Almost every part has been replaced at least once. 50,000+ miles.

I used to commute on a MTB until I got a hybrid. Now its so much better - get to work earlier, better fitness and better satisfaction. :D

I agree with you. I switched to a Karate Monkey by Surley and it is a great bike. The 29 inch wheels really help cover some real estate quickly. Can't say enough about disc brakes and how great they are. For the money nowdays everyone should be using disc brakes.

Thoughts?

I can't really commute to uni due to a motorway being the only way across Auckland harbour, but I bicycle to shopping, libariries, church, friends, etc.

I was using a Healing 10 Speed Skylark, and have recently upgraded to a Morrison Pursuit 12 speed. Both are road bikes from the early 80s. On average I commute 6-7km daily to the shops and back. Some days I do up to 30km.

I don't do wet weather riding, the rims get wet (from car spray and rain) and I lose all braking power.

Am thinking of getting an Avanti Sprint.

I use a Marin Mill Valley too like one of the other posters. Its a road bike for sure in my opinion just has a very relaxed geometery. Feels like you're on a mountain bike but lets me keep up with most road bikes. I like it except it feels fragile to me cause its lighter than most of the other commuter bikes I've had. Still it's a nice bike for someone that wants a commuter for something under a 20k ride a day, there are no brazeons so a messenger bag is a must.

I use a Scott 7005 mnt. bike for my daily commute. It has shimano xt shifting. I replaced my off-road tires for a pair of Armadillo street tires filled to 80 psi. my trip is only 4 miles each way but it all up hill getting there. Getting home is much more fun. I have had my bike up to 50.6 miles per hour.:eek: