What type of bike do you commute to work on

I use my old 85 miyata steel. Ambrosio wheelset and old suntour group. This thing has gone through the war for me and keeps tickin'.. The route to work is not very forgiving. Remeber, I live in Buffalo,NY man...The pothole capital of the world. My road bike is a lightspeed with Ksyrium sl's and ultegra 10... I'm not sure it would make one trip to work without me having a heart attack dodging the Tank Traps (pot holes, in buffalo slang).

I ride a 1999-2000 Trek 820 mtn bike that I have modified into a commuter with the help of a local bike shop. :) it's nice. I like it.

My Marin Mill Valley is stock you can see it on www.marinbikes.com they make some commuters specific bikes that I hear good things about for anyone looking for a stock bike.

My marin hill is nice cause I can keep up with other road bikes on the bike trail and it irks the guys with the tt's off.

I was using a Trek 7.3 FX with drop bars, now I'm riding a Specialized Allez. I like the speed of the Allez, but miss the comfort of the 7.3

man i ride a really fly

wheeler
has anybody ridden any of tehre bikes

heres a quickexample of min the PRO39
Copy%20of%20pro39.JPG
pro39.JPG

Hi,

Haven't posted in over a year and have just started commuting on my 2005 Specialized Sirrus. In addition to the 10 mile roundtrip I am managing to put another 60-70 on it during the weekends. Having a blast!

More out of happenstance than loyalty:

Trek820 got me faithfully over 3 years to and from high school (12-mile commute on asphalt; friendly bike-enthusiast principal took pity on me and gave me hybrid tires in 11th grade)

Trek8000 with hybrid tires and unnecessary front suspension; for about a year; 5-mile commute (also used for touring, prior to adding suspension)

Trek520 with road tires and front-and-back panniers for groceries (and eventually more touring); distance varies on mood

The stats on the type of bike being commuted on are pretty close to what I see on Sydney roads. Perhaps we are similar in first world countries.

For the record Giant OCR2 road bike and a 1980's steel frame road bike with modern 700c wheels, tyres, breaks, cleated pedals. Looks like a piece of s**t but actually goes quite well. In fact I rode it on a training ride yesterday as my OCR was in the shop getting a new cluster.

After commuting on an MTB, then a road bike, then an MTB set up for pavement, I finally settled on a cyclocross bike as the base for building what I think to be the perfect commuter... well, if it had a front disc brake it'd be perfect, but close enough is good enough!

I like drop bars in and around traffic.. I find the lesser width, and having your hands at the extremities of the bike make it easier to judge which nooks and crannies you can and can't fit into.

Although the spec is rather modest (compared to my 'real' road bike and MTB) I love riding this thing. Which I think is important, if you don't like riding your commuter bike, you won't commute as often with it.

cross.jpg

Cannondale Cyclocross frame with Ultra X front fork (25mm suspension with lockout)
Tiagra groupset (9 speed, 12-26T cassette) and cheapy compact crank (34/50)
Maxxis Overdrive 700x38c tyres, with a set of Mr Tuffys installed
SKS fenders, and Topeak rack and quick-release bag with expanding panniers
Light & Motion Commuter 10W halogen light

Singlespeed full fender cruiser, very reliable.

I bought a bunch of foul weather gear prior to last winter and wound up using it very little because it was such a mild winter, but one piece of gear that enabled comfortable biking during a zero degree cold spell was a breath warming face mask. I actually had to ride with it halfway off because I got sick of breathing very warm, very humid air. (There was no snow during that particular cold snap.)

In the summer I am still riding the same bike along with an assortment of old 3 and 10 speeds. My 2001 Raleigh trail bike works great too, because you can climb hills without perspiring.

garage sale GT said:
one piece of gear that enabled comfortable biking during a zero degree cold spell was a breath warming face mask.
Hey, that's a great idea for winter - I spent 6 weeks last winter off the road with colds and chest infections from being a bit too enthusiastic when it was cold. That's definitely something to try.

I do a 20 mile round trip on a Ridgeback Genesis - Hybrid with racing-weight frame and flat handlebars. The Shimano wheels it came with were rubbish, I had to change the back one for a handbuilt one after a few months (and it's much better now)

Loving it this summer - I started cycling 2 years ago fater a 12-year break (!) and my life is transformed. I'm under 200 pounds for the first time in living memory for a start...!

Steel 10 speed, then Shogun Metro (hybrid) then LOGO 'bent now Greenspeed GTR 20/20 with Rohloff..........

I responded once to this thread, but things have changed. I now have a Bike E recumbent. I've been riding it through the Summer, and prefer it. In slick conditions, I'll go back to my old mountain bike though.

jcafcw said:
I ride 22 miles a day and I am using the same cheap mountain bike that I bought when I was first looking to see if I would stick at it. I am looking into getting a lighter hybrid for the new year though
Can I ask what brand/model of bike? (not a snob, just curious...)

Trek Madone 5.9 SL. 30 miles each way 3 x a week plus Centuries and Double Centuries. The commute is 14.5 miles of rolling hills and 15.5 miles of mostly flat riding. The 5.9 is not about racing, but about long distance.

Specialized crossroads (entry level) with full mudguards, rack and clipless spd pedals. A joy to ride, reliable, quick and no annoying rattles/noises yet. The wide 700*38c tyres are comfortable and good for canal tow paths. Only done a few hundred miles over the past month, no regrets on choice.

The '06 Novara Fusion, that's currently in the shop because it has a issue with it's generator lights.