What type of bike do you commute to work on

My commuter right now is a a signet centrurion road bike i found at a thrift shop, fixed up and absolutely love.
Right now I'm fixing up an old Katakura 3 speed to make into a shopping bike to tide me over until I can get an xtracycle - if i could just get the $%$#%&*( chain guard off to change the rear tire :confused:

I ride my old late 80’s Schwinn Kom7 mountain bike. It’s an old race frame and fork with no rack braze-ons so I have to use a backpack. I put some mtb slicks on it last year and they work great. The city roads in my area are thrashed so I like having the mtb rims beefier tires.

I ride a Bridgestone RB-1. Has a double and I am either going up hill or down hill. Seattle is great for that. Commute year round. In the rain I use a rain jacket and rain pants. Sometimes I start out and it is in the mid 20's. Layers work well and just accept the fact that it's cold.

I commute from Fremantle to the University of WA (Perth) - about 16 km one way and reasonably hilly. I've just bought a beautiful silver 2004 Specialized Sirrus Sport flatbar with Tioga panniers and Niteflux Visionstick 20 lights for the dark sections in Mosman Park and North Freo.

After one week with the new bike, I'm pretty happy, and my legs are really hardening up on those climbs.
:p

I still commute on my 15 year old Bridgestone CB Zip, my steel pony. I can't even imagine how many miles this bike has accumulated. Seven out of the last 15 years it was my only transportation. I take good care of my bike and it has never let me down and is just FUN to ride!

I use my "slightly upgraded" Univega Gran Primo. Used to be red, now a little faded. Nothing like riding classic triple-butted steel!!!

On an off-topic, anyone know anything about this road frame? It was donated to me by a doc in San Diego, and it has followed me through California, Arizona, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and France. I want to find out more about this bike.

Lucky Max said:
I commute from Fremantle to the University of WA (Perth) - about 16 km one way and reasonably hilly. I've just bought a beautiful silver 2004 Specialized Sirrus Sport flatbar with Tioga panniers and Niteflux Visionstick 20 lights for the dark sections in Mosman Park and North Freo.

After one week with the new bike, I'm pretty happy, and my legs are really hardening up on those climbs.
:p
Hi Max,
I commute from Bassendean to UWA. I just bought the Felt Trevisa for winter commuting. Fitted it out with black guards, carrier, michelin panniers. It is a bit heavier (slower) than the FB road bike, but in winter who cares.. picnics in Kings Pk on the way home... :D

gclark8 said:
Hi Max,
I commute from Bassendean to UWA. I just bought the Felt Trevisa for winter commuting. Fitted it out with black guards, carrier, michelin panniers. It is a bit heavier (slower) than the FB road bike, but in winter who cares.. picnics in Kings Pk on the way home... :D

Hi George
I lived in East Perth till recently so I might know some of your route - do you use the bikepaths (Mts Bay Rd, along the river E Perth-Maylands etc.) or is there a decent road route?

I haven't had to deal with a really wet day yet - we must get the best winter for cycling anywhere in the world! How do you dress for a rainy day on the bike? I don't want to lose a day's riding, but I'm nervous being new on slicks and having to negotiate a lot of very dozey parents driving huge 4WDs through Mos Pk - Peppermint Grove.

Good to hear from you.

L Max (Martin really)

Hi Martin, (aka Max),

Thanks for the reply.

I ride down the cycleway from Bayswater Station to Barrack Street, "bell it" through the CBD to Riverside Drive, then round the bike path to Hacket gate 3, through the AG Dept to Human Movement, then into the pool. :)

As I am commuting for swimming, getting wet on the way there is OK, I just try to have dry clothes for the return journey and the train from Perth Station often the better option. I use a double layer nylon spray jacket but take shelter through the heavy stuff.

I got really good guards from TBE, they are a bit wide for a road bike, however the bike shop in Maylands has SKS guards in road sizes. I find the Conti tyres on the Trevisa good too, not throwing the wet sand like the road tyres do on the other bike.

Call in to the pool deck around 8:30-8:55 one Tuesday or Thursday morning and I can show you the setup.

Azulene said:
During the winter I started to ride my fixed gear bike to work. With the shorter days my fixed gear gives me a better work out.
I have a Trek 7300 that I ride all over and 2 miles to work. I'm a spring, summer and fall commuter as riding in the cold really sucks.

I have been commuting on my nice circa 1980 Raleigh road bike around UWA, it has a 5 speed Sturmy Archer rear end, guards, racks etc. The hub is in for a service, and TBE (the only ones in perth who will touch it) have warned it might not go back together eek! So on the lookout for a new bike - thinking I might go the flat bar road style, but still want an internal gear hub, just cos they are different and you can run full length chain guards, therefore no greasey bits.

My bike lives at UWA, and I commute from home (Craige) by train/bus. 30km each way was a bit much, tho maybe with the new one... use the bike to get to work in Nedlands, and to Perth train when I leave late.

As for wet weather, got stuck at uwa at 8pm on a Sunday in the middle of the first big rain for winter. Not Happy (though I am a paddler, so in a way is good). Put the books in a plastic bag and got wet.

Great to see another UWA commuter. I saw a girl on a Raleigh at UWA today, quite old too, the bike...

On internal hubs, have a look at: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs-internal.html he has many options.

I know of a company in Os Pk making bikes with Rohloff hubs, flat bar too. E-mail me on that one.

Also, try the Quokka, on line, search "Nexus".

On the weather, I left the bike at home this week, did it by train/bus... home and dry... :)

exoteric said:
I have been commuting on my nice circa 1980 Raleigh road bike around UWA, it has a 5 speed Sturmy Archer rear end, guards, racks etc. The hub is in for a service, and TBE (the only ones in perth who will touch it) have warned it might not go back together eek! So on the lookout for a new bike - thinking I might go the flat bar road style, but still want an internal gear hub, just cos they are different and you can run full length chain guards, therefore no greasey bits.

My bike lives at UWA, and I commute from home (Craige) by train/bus. 30km each way was a bit much, tho maybe with the new one... use the bike to get to work in Nedlands, and to Perth train when I leave late.

As for wet weather, got stuck at uwa at 8pm on a Sunday in the middle of the first big rain for winter. Not Happy (though I am a paddler, so in a way is good). Put the books in a plastic bag and got wet.
I'm seriously considering saving up a bundle for a vacation to London. While there I would go check out SJScycles and pick up a Thorn Raven Tour that has a 14 speed internal hub. Of course I could just have them send it to me and go to Mexico instead, but everyone I know goes someplace in Mexico for vacations, London would definitly be differint and I'd get to test ride what I'm buying.Either way it'll be a couple of years. Anyone know what a plane ticket from Denver to London costs?

Good news - the hub has ben saved! so no need for a new bike just yet...
Hats off to Andrew @ TBE for the service - just a little rough in 1st gear, but 5 gears good!

Personally, I would order my bike from england (I have friends there, maybe get them to pass it on) and not go on the holiday. but thats just me, I'm cheap.

Well done TBE!!

They (Ben) did a good job on my Merida last year, a major upgrade of group, sadly sold now, replaced by the Felt Trevisa.

Give me a yell if you see me around UWA, Tues/Thurs AM, the pool, the old fart on the black felt...

exoteric said:
United Airlines can get you there (and back) from just $1689.52 return...
That's about how much the bike costs. But hey, it'll be fun. If things do get tight I understand about 350 dollars will have it ups'd over here. I really want to do some travelling though, so I hope to make the trip accross the pond in about a year and a half or two years.

An old Ross 10 speed is my weapon of choice, however, I am looking for a mountain bike for winter- I live in Buffalo, NY, so I will need something to get through the snow.

Airborne Ti Carpe Diem 'cross frame, Kinesis Al fork, Dura Ace parts, 9spd, 39-48 front rings with a 12-25 cassette, pulling a BOB Yak trailer. I am a school teacher and have 6 1/2 to 7 mile commute each way. I have it decked out with fenders and a rear brake lever on the top of the bars.