What Type of Bike Do You Use for Commuting?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bengyap, Sep 10, 2004.

1. bengyap

bengyap New Member

Hi All:
    I had a friend who wanted to buy a new bike, primarily for commuting to work. Average distance is 25km one way, and four days a week. What would be the kind of bike you use or would use for this purpose?
    Thanks
    Ben

Tags:

2. bcwildthing

bcwildthing New Member

I'm commuting 24km each way, partly on hard dirt, partly on chipseal, and partly on pavement. I prefer the chrome-moly frame on my LeMond Zurich for the long commute since it is plenty stiff for full transmittal of power to the pedals when I need it. The Zurich, which has Reynolds 535 Pro tubing, is pretty responsive when I'm up on the pedals for getting up a little rise or doing a major uphill, and comfortably stable for the long straights. It is also plenty light, in the 18lb range depending on your pedals, and has a long top tube for it's size, which is 55 cm. All in all it is a sweet ride. The 105 gruppo may not be as impressive as Ultegra but it has cane headset, mavic rims and cost me only $1300US/$1900Can. For commuting, it is cheaper to replace back clusters, chainrings, and the occasional damaged STI shifter.

3. kf5nd

kf5nd New Member

I ride 28 km / 17.4 miles to work one-way on a Schwinn Frontier FS mountain bike with Specialized Armadillo tires. Bike cost me US$275 in 2001. NiteRider lights cost me about US$275 in 2004. Funny, huh?

4. rek

rek New Member

I ride 24km in and 27km home.. I ride a road bike on sunny days (because it's a bit faster and is easier effort wise), and a mountain bike on rainy days (because disc brakes actually work when you want them to in the wet)

5. wanderer390000

wanderer390000 New Member

Why 27 on the way home, is that how far the local pub is :confused:

6. rek

rek New Member

My place is close to the end of a kilometre-long 4% hill. I over-shoot home by another kilometre or so (the road climbs gently once past) and turn back through the side streets; that way I have a nice gentle descent for cooling down before finishing.

You don't want to know the route contortions to get at the "long way" of 36km in, 43km back! ;)

Plus, it pads out the daily ride total to just over 50km. I normally ride into work 4 times a week, so this way I'm always assured of having at least 200km of riding "in the bank" before the weekend. (Nothing is worse than a tripmeter that reads 199km :p )

7. wanderer390000

wanderer390000 New Member

OK thank mate :eek: i was wondering why it was longer on the way home, now i know i won't have to worry :D

8. John Picton

John Picton New Member

I commute into the city every day (20 mile round trip) on a hybrid with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I save the roadbike for the weekend when I can cycle on roads without potholes, glass and insane drivers.

9. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Help me out guys. I intend to start commuting with a bike trailer and my five year old daughter, over about 15 km one way moderately hilly terrain. Will either purchase a Burley Solo or Wicycle trailer for the daughter.

Can I safely attach it to my DeRosa (it is another 25 kg with the daughter, more or less what I carried on the DeRosa before I lost some weight), or do I need a mountain bike or something?

Thanks for the advice...