What Type of Bottom Bracket?

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
I have a Cannondale Killer V900 mountain bike that I bought new in 1994. It came with 22x32x42 chainrings, which I have decided to change to a Sugino XD300, 26x36x46 crank. I do have a couple of questions.

a) The BB shell size on the Cannondale is 70mm. Is this a Cannondale proprietary size? Am I going to need a new BB to accomodate the Sugino? The Sugino specifies a spindle interface type that is Square Taper JIS (what does this mean?). If I do find out that I can use the stock BB, should I insist on it being repacked by the bicycle shop?

b) The Sugino XD300 comes with steel chainrings, cost 45 U.S. dollars and weighs 860g, while the XD600 is made of alloy chainrings, weighs 690g and cost 67 U.S. dollars.

I think I read somewhere that steel chainrings last longer. Is this not so?

Is the cost difference justified?

c) If I do need a new BB, what brand and model do you recommend? I treasure stiffness, strength, reliability in a bottom bracket. I am of the opinion that the newer type BBs like Octalink etc would not work with the Sugino XD300 and the BB shell size of the Cannondale. Am I right? What kind of BB should I look for?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Lucas

SUPER RIDER said:
I have a Cannondale Killer V900 mountain bike that I bought new in 1994. It came with 22x32x42 chainrings, which I have decided to change to a Sugino XD300, 26x36x46 crank. I do have a couple of questions.

a) The BB shell size on the Cannondale is 70mm. Is this a Cannondale proprietary size? Am I going to need a new BB to accomodate the Sugino? The Sugino specifies a spindle interface type that is Square Taper JIS (what does this mean?). If I do find out that I can use the stock BB, should I insist on it being repacked by the bicycle shop?

b) The Sugino XD300 comes with steel chainrings, cost 45 U.S. dollars and weighs 860g, while the XD600 is made of alloy chainrings, weighs 690g and cost 67 U.S. dollars.

I think I read somewhere that steel chainrings last longer. Is this not so?

Is the cost difference justified?

c) If I do need a new BB, what brand and model do you recommend? I treasure stiffness, strength, reliability in a bottom bracket. I am of the opinion that the newer type BBs like Octalink etc would not work with the Sugino XD300 and the BB shell size of the Cannondale. Am I right? What kind of BB should I look for?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Lucas

I think you will be ok with a 73mm and just make sure the spindle length is the same.

Just run a standard shimano square taper. There is 2 versions of the shim. sq. taper a V1 and V2. If its a new crankset, its probably a V2.

I don't think that the BB can be overhauled. They are cartrages so you will need a new one.

With chain rings, will not notice the wear difference between steel and alluminum. If you can afford the lighter alum. then go with that.

As far as a BB goes, most brands offer good/to great ones. The more you spend the better the bearing quality and seals are etc. Go with the best you can afford. The only caveat of that would be that the very best BB's tend you use less seals, for less friction. The best in your case might be an XT level square taper: 73x???

Octalink is a different standard. If your BB says square taper, then octalink, ISIS etc, will not fit.

PSUcycling said:
I think you will be ok with a 73mm and just make sure the spindle length is the same.

Just run a standard shimano square taper. There is 2 versions of the shim. sq. taper a V1 and V2. If its a new crankset, its probably a V2.

I don't think that the BB can be overhauled. They are cartrages so you will need a new one.

With chain rings, will not notice the wear difference between steel and alluminum. If you can afford the lighter alum. then go with that.

As far as a BB goes, most brands offer good/to great ones. The more you spend the better the bearing quality and seals are etc. Go with the best you can afford. The only caveat of that would be that the very best BB's tend you use less seals, for less friction. The best in your case might be an XT level square taper: 73x???

Octalink is a different standard. If your BB says square taper, then octalink, ISIS etc, will not fit.

V1 and V2 refer to OCTALINK, not square taper. JIS is the Japanese standard (as opposed to ISO which is Campagnolo compatible) square taper.

John M said:
V1 and V2 refer to OCTALINK, not square taper. JIS is the Japanese standard (as opposed to ISO which is Campagnolo compatible) square taper.

thats right, i get those mixed up sometimes....