What type of Pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mcortazzo, Feb 18, 2005.

1. mcortazzo

mcortazzo New Member

Decided on a ride: Giant tcr c3. fell in love at the lbs(not so local)

What is the differences between the various types of pedals out there (other than weight) that would sway me to going with Look, SPD or Speedplay(which im currently leaning towards, for float and low cornering angle)?
    But what about ease of use, comfort, power transfer etc.

some backround
    4 years of mtb riding using various shimano pedals and the same pair of shoes (answer impact) and i love them despite the nasty looks i get from the GF when Im wearing them. But is seems there are alot more options for pedals and shoe combos for Road. Certain pedals for different shoes and what not. Reading reviews of the particular pedals-shimano 540- on the TCR it seems the clear majority swap them out(or atleast those that post) as I am thinking of doing. I can get a decent adidas shoe on sale (adistar) and would not like to expend too much on exchanging pedals as I am certainly overshooting my budget on the bike to begin with. But I am a person who would rather buy something right the first time and nto have to deal with the hassle and $$$ in changing and upgrading during the season. I have anted the crank brother for my Giant NRS for a while but theres no real justifications for the switch until my shimanos are destroyed(i happen to have two sets of shimanos in very good condition anyway)

thanks
    -Mike

Tags:

2. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

If it really comes with the R540s (the SPD-SL pedal), try it. Speedplays are good, however, the bearings do need to be serviced regularly. As for Looks, I don't know much about them.

3. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

I personally had bad issues with Speedplay pedals. I used the X-5's. My problem was, too much float! I am now using the TIME Impact Mag's and LOVE them. Pedals are an aquired taste. A lot of my friends love their Speedplay's. Just get something you are going to like, they will be on your bike!

4. lamazion

lamazion New Member

On the road I've ridden "look style" pedals since they were first introduced. Due to knee problems, I recently tried speedplay. They are now on all my bikes. Why? The float took care of my knees! The entry is a no brainer and fast.

They may not be for everyone, but I love mine!

5. birdman23

birdman23 New Member

I really like my DA SPD-SL's although I would probably love them more if they had just a tiny bit more float in them.

6. mcortazzo

mcortazzo New Member

they do seem to be an aquired taste, im just trying to get it right on my first shot
    thanks for the info.