WHat type of wheels?

ChrisC

Jan 18, 2004
I am trying to finalize buying a new bike for this season and need some help with wheels. I have budgeted for a shiny new pair of Zipp 404's to race in but my bike shop guy has talked me out of them, saying that in the end, I will be dissatisfied because of the expense and how I ride. I like long training rides and live in a failry flat part of the US. This summer I will be racing sprint tri to half distances. He suggested the Ksyrium SL or the Bontrager Aeros. My pocket book agrees as both are around half the price of the 404's. Does anyone have any thoughts? My race weight hovers between 170 and 180 and I am 6'1". My personal choice is to ride 700 clinchers. Is there a resource that can help with what wheel benefits how an athlete rides?

Thanks
Chris

give the american classic 420's a look they're alot cheaper then the 404's and they weigh in under 1500g everything ive read about them says they are worth it.

I own a pair of American Classic 420 and I don't race. If you can stay under 180 lbs you might want to check out these. How stiff must they be? The American Classic 420 are stiff but not necessarily the stiffest out there. I like them though because I do go on long rides of 50 miles or longer, so the stiffest wheels coupled with my stiff carbon bike may not be desireable.

The Bontrager aero would also be a fine choice. The Ksyrium SL IMO are heavy (compare to thers at this price) and hard to maintain because they use their proprietary spokes, I believe. But they do look nice!!
If you look hard enough, you can probably get the AR 420 for around $500, half what it would cost to get the 404.

For that kind of cash, look at something custom. Contact Eric at Brazen CycleWerks... he is maddening with the stupid light and durable stuff he comes up with, and for reasonable prices. Tell him your specs and I would be willing to bet you he has something laced up already that will work, that will allow you to afford a second set of ultegra to cxp33s for a backup pair. Just a thought. Give him a try, he is really reasonable, and the first person Im going to when I get my tax refund check.

Chris

Ack, never mind... just went to his site and he says he no longer does custom wheelbuilding...

whoops, sorry.

Originally posted by ChrisC
I am trying to finalize buying a new bike for this season and need some help with wheels. I have budgeted for a shiny new pair of Zipp 404's to race in but my bike shop guy has talked me out of them, saying that in the end, I will be dissatisfied because of the expense and how I ride. I like long training rides and live in a failry flat part of the US. This summer I will be racing sprint tri to half distances. He suggested the Ksyrium SL or the Bontrager Aeros. My pocket book agrees as both are around half the price of the 404's. Does anyone have any thoughts? My race weight hovers between 170 and 180 and I am 6'1". My personal choice is to ride 700 clinchers. Is there a resource that can help with what wheel benefits how an athlete rides?

Thanks
Chris

Your thoughts about aerodynamics in the wheel have some merit.
Your weight and training will significantly contribute to how long your wheels last.
You can see some data and details about the measured effects of aerodynamics in various wheels here:
http://www.bsn.com/cycling/WheelAerodynamics.html
Note that measurements are made at 29 MPH and are in grams.
Consider a set of hand made wheels with Velocity Aerohead rims.
Consider DT Revolution spokes, and 28 for front and 32 for rear.
I like the OCR (Off Center Rim) in the Velocity Aerohead for more durability in the rear wheel. These wheels are are durable, light, and serviceable, while maintaining a reasonable price. Choose Campy or Shimano hubs to match the remainder of your drive train, budget, and keep things simple.
Consider getting a biodynamic fitting as part of your budget expenditure. To see a sample of what I mean look here:
http://www.cronometro.com/
and click on the Biodynamic Fitting link

What is your experience in riding in strong crosswinds?
What does you bicycle shop say about building you a set of Velocity Aeroheads with DT Revolution Spokes?

Originally posted by daveornee
Your thoughts about aerodynamics in the wheel have some merit.
Your weight and training will significantly contribute to how long your wheels last.
You can see some data and details about the measured effects of aerodynamics in various wheels here:
http://www.bsn.com/cycling/WheelAerodynamics.html
Note that measurements are made at 29 MPH and are in grams.
Consider a set of hand made wheels with Velocity Aerohead rims.
Consider DT Revolution spokes, and 28 for front and 32 for rear.
I like the OCR (Off Center Rim) in the Velocity Aerohead for more durability in the rear wheel. These wheels are are durable, light, and serviceable, while maintaining a reasonable price. Choose Campy or Shimano hubs to match the remainder of your drive train, budget, and keep things simple.
Consider getting a biodynamic fitting as part of your budget expenditure. To see a sample of what I mean look here:
http://www.cronometro.com/
and click on the Biodynamic Fitting link

What is your experience in riding in strong crosswinds?
What does you bicycle shop say about building you a set of Velocity Aeroheads with DT Revolution Spokes?

There are not strong crosswinds here in Memphis. There is about a two mile stretch of road where I ride that parallels the river - this brings head/tail winds. That's really it. I will check out the sites that you listed and ask the bike shop about building wheels.

I have my bike choices down to a Cannondale 2000 or a QR Caliente. I think both come with the Ksyrium SLs. If my wife lets me splurge, I will get the QR Tiphoon and just build it with the Ksyrium SLs. I think it is built with 404s usually.

Thank you all so much for weighing in here! I really appreciate it!