What USA city has the best bicycle trails?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Bruce W.1, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > Of course, the map shows only the longer lousy major trails.
    > Fortunately, it doesn't show the shorter trails, as that would make it
    > too cluttered and would bore one even more.

    Dear Brer Rabbit, err CB I mean. Thanks for the warning.

    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

    > Please don't ride them as we don't want visitors to be disappointed.
    > Just drive right your car right through Denver to the mountains where
    > you can ride on several hundreds of miles of paved bike paths and mtn
    > bike trails.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/9qcue

  2. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    dgk wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:36:21 GMT, "Bruce W.1"
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    > >work and recreation? I might move there.

    > >Thanks for your help.

    > It isn't NYC.

    Not Boston either. It's not an ant-bike thing, just that commuting in
    Boston (I've used bike, car, train, subway, waking, and bus) all suck.
    Commuter train only sucked a little.

    Austin (Now in Twin Cities of Minnesota where the winters are usually
    colder but the cycling is better)

  3. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    dgk wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:36:21 GMT, "Bruce W.1"
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    > >work and recreation? I might move there.

    > >Thanks for your help.

    > It isn't NYC.

    Not Boston either. It's not an ant-bike thing, just that commuting in
    Boston (I've used bike, car, train, subway, waking, and bus) all suck.
    Commuter train only sucked a little.

    Austin (Now in Twin Cities of Minnesota where the winters are usually
    colder but the cycling is better)

  4. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There are just a very fw, and they are not interconnected at all. Here
    > is a map showing the measly, segmented, puny little things. You
    > definitely would NOT want to ride them, since they are covered with
    > cement, kept up well, and have almost none of those exciting street
    > interesections. Very boring as you ride along rivers and streams with
    > noisy birds and lousy trees.
    >
    > www.sandcreekgreenway.org/assets/maps/Postmaplarge.jpg )

    Thanks for all the links :) I'm always looking for trails to visit on
    vacation.

    We have several good trails in our area, Southwest Ohio, and they continue
    to grow each year.
    http://www.miamivalleytrails.org/swot-map.htm

    Beverly

  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I picked a nice day last summer to ride around Boulder, since it is
    considered so bike friendly. The trails were very nice, but I found it
    much easier to get around on the roads. There was much less traffic
    than on the trials, and the cars tended to follow the rules of the
    road. That being said, there was a lot of nice scenery on the trails...

    I think I'll stick to the trails in Denver, and the forest service
    roads in Grand County!

  6. Bill H.

    Bill H. Guest

    Mountain View isn't too shabby, either.

  7. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    > work and recreation? I might move there.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Isn't it obvious that NYC is #1 here? 'Cause there are lots in the
    surrounding areas, too!

    Think about it...where else can you host 30K+ cyclists every year for a
    whole day decade after decade?

  8. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    dgk wrote:

    > It isn't NYC.

    Well, we don't have mountains in the background, unfortunately, and
    this ain't Holland here (damned redcoats), but it's got to be the best,
    all things considered: lots of variety, lots of places; miles and miles
    in the City alone, not to mention just outside; rivers and oceans and
    you're never too far from help if you break down or catch a flat!

    And of course, we have jobs here.

  9. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

  10. "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bruce W.1 wrote:
    >> What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    >> work and recreation? I might move there.

    > Isn't it obvious that NYC is #1 here? 'Cause there are lots in the
    > surrounding areas, too!

    I thought to ride in NYC you had to ride like this:
    http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at:

  11. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > I thought to ride in NYC you had to ride like this:
    > http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg

    Only if you're being chased -- by a camera.

    That was AWESOME!!! Brings back some good memories (though I'm a full
    15% less gutsy than those guys, even when I was a messenger myself!
    And I always respected pedestrians...).

    > --
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky

    THANKS FOR SHARING. You're my kinda gal! This inspires me to do a
    video of the Greenways in NYC and around...hmm....

  12. landotter wrote:
    > I consider Chicago to be the bike friendliest large city in North
    > America. Probably not up there when it comes to total dedicated trail
    > mileage, but except for the heart of downtown, it's excellent--and
    > flat. :D

    The suburbs are a different matter, since the subdivisions channel
    traffic onto relatively high speed arterials. Traditional grid-pattern
    street neighborhoods are much better for cycling.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  13. Bruce W.1 wrote:

    >What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    >work and recreation? I might move there.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    I'm still getting my free editions of Bicycling Magazine (they must be
    on a serious subscription drive). They have an article on the 21 best
    cities for bicycling in the US. Not sure how valuable it is, though.
    They naturally list Boulder, but then say the *must ride* for Boulder is
    the Boulder Creek Path, so they have clearly not done any research.
    There are a lot of great - even must rides in Boulder, but the creek
    path is certainly not one of them. It's for walking your dog, riding
    with your kids in tow, taking the baby out in a stroller, jogging,
    blading, and walking in circles while talking on your cell phone. It's a
    must ride if you like running over dogs and shouting "on your left"
    every five seconds. They then list the best bicycle hang out as some
    coffee shop (are cyclists supposed to be Starbuck's junkies?). I would
    disregard anything they claim to know about Boulder - so the same may be
    true about the other places they mention as well.

    Once again Bicycling Magazine proves itself to be worthless, unless you
    like window shopping.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    > cities for bicycling in the US. Not sure how valuable it is, though.
    > They naturally list Boulder, but then say the *must ride* for Boulder is
    > the Boulder Creek Path, so they have clearly not done any research.
    > There are a lot of great - even must rides in Boulder, but the creek
    > path is certainly not one of them. It's for walking your dog, riding
    > with your kids in tow, taking the baby out in a stroller, jogging,
    > blading, and walking in circles while talking on your cell phone. It's a
    > must ride if you like running over dogs and shouting "on your left"
    > every five seconds.

    True but IMO one of the must-rides uses a portion
    of the Boulder Creek Path as it leaves town up
    Boulder Canyon, on the way to the Four Mile
    turnoff. The Boulder Creek Path itself is not a
    must-ride, that's for sure, although the scenery
    as they say is outstanding.

    Robert

  15. Robert Uhl

    Robert Uhl Guest

    Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> writes:

    > I'm still getting my free editions of Bicycling Magazine (they must be
    > on a serious subscription drive). They have an article on the 21 best
    > cities for bicycling in the US. Not sure how valuable it is,
    > though. They naturally list Boulder, but then say the *must ride* for
    > Boulder is the Boulder Creek Path, so they have clearly not done any
    > research. There are a lot of great - even must rides in Boulder, but
    > the creek path is certainly not one of them. It's for walking your
    > dog, riding with your kids in tow, taking the baby out in a stroller,
    > jogging, blading, and walking in circles while talking on your cell
    > phone. It's a must ride if you like running over dogs and shouting "on
    > your left" every five seconds.

    I dunno--I love the Boulder Creek trail. Whenever my company sends me
    up to Boulder, I strap my bike on the back of the car and take it for a
    spin after my workday's done, then go to the Walnut Brewery and hang out
    for a bit, maybe get in a few more miles on my bikes and then crash at a
    buddy's place.

    The trail is nice, with wonderful eyecandy and near-constant shade. The
    creek babbling alongside the trail sounds beautiful and all-in-all it's
    an excellent ride with a nice natural feel. Sure, there are other folks
    on it--one just rides around 'em. No, it's not for someone doing race
    training, but it's superb for a nice pleasant ride.

    Contrasted with the Denver trails, it's superb. I've yet to find a
    better one in Boulder, either. Which do you prefer?

    It was an indescribably beautiful thing, with the perfection of line and form
    that only something designed to be functional can have, lean and graceful and
    infinitely menacing, like a man-eating swan.
    --Tom Holt, Who's Afraid of Beowulf?

  16. I like the direction Bicycling Magazine has been going in lately.

    I think the diversity of the stories and articles has greatly
    increased.

    I like what they have done in organizing and getting manufacturers to
    gift significant numbers of bicycles to a variety of cities, then
    following up on what ahs happened to individuals and communities as a
    result of those gifts.
    >Once again Bicycling Magazine proves itself to be worthless, unless you

    like window shopping.

    They have had an extensive article about a guy in his 90's who bicycles
    regularly.

    And a bunch of other, to me, interesting stuff.

    I don't really like the "27 steps to [whatever - fitness or a better
    bike - you name it] but that seems to be the mode in all sorts of
    magazines. I.e., 8 steps to a better sex life or 15 foods that improve
    your skin.

    I think it is most difficult to have a mag that appeals to a wide
    variety of interests, levels and abilities.

    But, I think they have really improved the past 3-4 years.

  17. Personally, I find the Suncoast area to be very bicycle friendly thanks to a
    wonderful climate, affordable housing, beautiful beaches, picturesque parks,
    as well as a developing network of bicycle routes, lanes, trails and other
    ammenities. In fact, our over 40 mile long Pinellas Trail has such a
    diversity of sights, shops, restaurants, and wildlife watching to enjoy.
    With so many businesses located near the trail, I have been able to commute
    by bicycle to work and to run errands for the last 10 years with great ease.
    And the local communities are committed to further expanding their bicycle
    infrastructure. For more information about the local area, try
    www.pinellascounty.org

    Best Regards,
    Kurt Polakoff
    Clearwater, Florida

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What city in the USA has the best set of bicycle trails for commuting to
    > work and recreation? I might move there.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

  18. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:20:53 -0500, "Kurt Polakoff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Personally, I find the Suncoast area to be very bicycle friendly thanks to a
    >wonderful climate, affordable housing, beautiful beaches, picturesque parks,
    >as well as a developing network of bicycle routes, lanes, trails and other
    >ammenities. In fact, our over 40 mile long Pinellas Trail has such a
    >diversity of sights, shops, restaurants, and wildlife watching to enjoy.
    >With so many businesses located near the trail, I have been able to commute
    >by bicycle to work and to run errands for the last 10 years with great ease.
    >And the local communities are committed to further expanding their bicycle
    >infrastructure. For more information about the local area, try
    >www.pinellascounty.org
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >Kurt Polakoff
    >Clearwater, Florida

    Actually, I think we've got it even better on the other side of the bay in
    Tampa. Many, many miles of bike friendly trails paved and off-road.

    But, please, let's not tell 'em about it. More will move down here.

    Ron

  19. I spent 9 months in Tampa, and commuted to work the entire time.
    Overall it was a nice experience, but I did have my worst wreck of my
    career there. I was chugging down a main artery, when a woman pulled
    right out in front of me. I had no choice but to ram right into the
    side of her car. I was lying on the road, with my totaled bike, when
    she opened the door looked right at me, closed the door, and drove off
    without saying a word.
    But I still like Tampa!
    Jim Gagnepain
    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

    Ron Sonic wrote:
    >Actually, I think we've got it even better on the other side of the bay in

    Tampa. Many, many miles of bike friendly trails paved and off-road.

  20. How many cities do you have to know well to be qualified to answer? I've
    biked through many of them, but can hardly say I know the best bike riding
    routes in them. Still, I've welcomed the comments on this thread, mindful
    that comparisons are difficult.

    The Milwaukee area I know best isn't famous for biking, but it isn't bad -
    good paths along Lake Michigan and several rivers, and the nearby rural
    roads are better than in most areas; many of them have extra width, with or
    without a formal bike lane. Madison has more bikers, but no better a road
    and path system.