What USA city has the best bicycle trails?

>I consider Chicago to be the bike friendliest large city in North
> America. Probably not up there when it comes to total dedicated trail
> mileage, but except for the heart of downtown, it's excellent--and
> flat. :D

I have started thinking about coming to Chicago for a weekend some nice day
and riding around--say the lake path and something else, maybe? Does this
sound like a reasonable idea? I could catch a plane from DFW and just unfold
my Bike Friday and ride around the town.

Pat in TX

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>I consider Chicago to be the bike friendliest large city in North
>> America. Probably not up there when it comes to total dedicated trail
>> mileage, but except for the heart of downtown, it's excellent--and
>> flat. :D

> I have started thinking about coming to Chicago for a weekend some nice
> day and riding around--say the lake path and something else, maybe? Does
> this sound like a reasonable idea? I could catch a plane from DFW and just
> unfold my Bike Friday and ride around the town.

Yes, this is a reasonable idea. The lakefront path shows off the ctiy well.
You get a great view of the skyline, there are museums (MSI, Field Museum,
Planetarium, Aquarium) and entertainment spots (Navy Pier) along the way.

The Chicago bike map is online here:
http://www.chicagocarto.com/bikemap/keymap.html
where there's also info about bikes on transit.

If you want to ride with a group, there's the Evanston Bicycling Club just
north of the city
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ where I know we'd welcome you for the day.
(There's links to other clubs at the EBC site)

> The Chicago bike map is online here:
> http://www.chicagocarto.com/bikemap/keymap.html
> where there's also info about bikes on transit.
>
> If you want to ride with a group, there's the Evanston Bicycling Club just
> north of the city
> http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ where I know we'd welcome you for the day.
> (There's links to other clubs at the EBC site)

Hey, thanks a bunch! I am formulating a plan, now and it all started with
this thread on cities and their bicycle trails. If I could just get Amtrak
to run on MY schedule, everything would be perfect!

Pat in TX

Pat in TX wrote:
> >I consider Chicago to be the bike friendliest large city in North
> > America. Probably not up there when it comes to total dedicated trail
> > mileage, but except for the heart of downtown, it's excellent--and
> > flat. :D

> I have started thinking about coming to Chicago for a weekend some nice day
> and riding around--say the lake path and something else, maybe? Does this
> sound like a reasonable idea? I could catch a plane from DFW and just unfold
> my Bike Friday and ride around the town.
>
> Pat in TX

Hi Pat,

It would be cool if you could come to Chicago for Bike the Drive, the
annual bike ride sponsored by the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation.
That's where Lake Shore Drive is closed off to cars in the morning and
about 20,000 cyclists ride it from one end to the other and back again.
Afterwards there is a big outdoor festival with live music in the park
for participants. Lots of fun and you will meet lots of cyclists and
see all kinds of cool bikes. I met lots of people from out of town with
folders last year. Even a couple ladies from Texas. I had a table set
up at the festival for the Chicagoland Folding Bike Society which I am
the founder of.

This year Bike the Drive is on Sunday May 28. See
http://www.bikethedrive.org/ for more info. Arrive on Friday May 26 and
make a weekend of it by riding in the mighty Chicago Critical Mass. We
meet at Daley Plaza in the Loop at 5:30 p.m. the last Friday of every
month. See http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org for more info.

-Bob Matter
-----------------
Cyclists and pedestrians fare best when accommodated with exclusive
space free of dangerous automobile traffic.

> Hi Pat,
>
> It would be cool if you could come to Chicago for Bike the Drive, the
> annual bike ride sponsored by the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation.
> That's where Lake Shore Drive is closed off to cars in the morning and
> about 20,000 cyclists ride it from one end to the other and back again.
> Afterwards there is a big outdoor festival with live music in the park
> for participants. Lots of fun and you will meet lots of cyclists and
> see all kinds of cool bikes. I met lots of people from out of town with
> folders last year. Even a couple ladies from Texas. I had a table set
> up at the festival for the Chicagoland Folding Bike Society which I am
> the founder of.
>
> This year Bike the Drive is on Sunday May 28. See
> http://www.bikethedrive.org/ for more info. Arrive on Friday May 26 and
> make a weekend of it by riding in the mighty Chicago Critical Mass. We
> meet at Daley Plaza in the Loop at 5:30 p.m. the last Friday of every
> month. See http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org for more info.
>
> -Bob Matter

Hey, that's great! Thanks, Bob! I am getting stoked for this already....

Pat