What vehicles will bike(s) fit in?

pem

Jan 14, 2007
What vehicles will a bike (or hopefully 2 bikes) fit inside of, either in trunk or backseat or trunk pass-through, without taking off the wheels?

I don't have any kids at home and although they have that soccer mom look, Im going for a Chrysler minivan, he most useful vehicle on the market.

My cycle hauler is a 2001 Mercury Sable wagon. Worked out very nicely. Mileage in the mid to high 20's, not bad for a car that size.

And with the seat down, my bike goes in the back wheels on. That was my test for buying another car - I had to be able to get my bike in the back without taking the wheels off.

pem said:
What vehicles will a bike (or hopefully 2 bikes) fit inside of, either in trunk or backseat or trunk pass-through, without taking off the wheels?
I own a Honda Odyssey minivan and with the back seat (third row seat) folded down, I can fit 4 bikes - my road and mountain bike, and two bmx bikes. Plus, there is still room in between for a few things, and then four people can still ride comfortably. I put my two bikes on the outside and turn the front wheel inwards and then use bungie cords to hold the bikes upright and sturdy by wrapping around the frame and attaching the end of the chords to the metal hooks that the seat would latch to when not folded down. It works great and I have been across the country twice with my two bikes in the back.

You can more or less give up on midsize SUV's. It is just possible to lay one bike flat inside but not two. Olds bravada, Ford Explorer, etc. Probably about the same as JohnO's wagon.

My requirement is to fit one bike inside the vehicle. I happily discovered that you can just squeeze in one bike (with the front wheel off) into an Audi A4/S4.

The dealer was none too happy about me trying to fit my bike in his new car but I told him that I would not buy it until I could prove to myself that the bike fit.

Grand Jeep Cherokee(2005) - I can fit my bike in laying it on its side with the back seat down.

I think as long as its hatch back... and you have the necessary will power to make it happen.. the 2 will go in.

willocrew said:
I think as long as its hatch back... and you have the necessary will power to make it happen.. the 2 will go in.
Should have mentioned that in the past I had an Acura Integra that my bike fit in when I folded the seat down. Just lifted it up sideways and slid it in without having to take the front wheel off. Did this for many years. Probably could have fit two bikes in there but would not want to lay one on top of the other.

Many years ago a friend had a huge gas guzzling sedan from the 70's (this was around 1990) and three of us went to do a time trial - we fit all three bikes in the back seat with the front wheels off (they went on the floor behind the seat or in the trunk) and all three of us rode in the front - had to look pretty stupid but anything to get to that ride!

Theres always a way lol..

If i can fit my Dawes gyro road bike in a SMART car.... you can fit it in your car ;).

Granted i did have to take the wheels off.. lol