What was the last thing you've bought for your bike?

Well, ordered a pair of black bibs shorts. Don't care for bibs so I went with the shorts. $67 after shipping and tax. Supposed to be inexpensive good quality stuff, hope so.

Then today, figured I'd treat myself. Been thinking about a new Terry fly. Used to get these things back in 2006 for $60. Now they're $180 Wtf!

But new shorts on the way, why not a new saddle?

20230314_191444.jpg

I bought a new saddle too! It's called 'Ventilator Shenanigans'' I'm not sure. I bought it for $4 new at the LBS. Rockbros have the exact same saddle at $8 in the LBS. It's the casual/commuter type saddle that is extra wide, lots of cushion, and even had rubber shock absorbers at the rails. I went for the cheaper knock off because I'm not sure it's going to work out.

It looks totally out of place on a bike with drop bar.... But my butt is getting mighty tired of our 'cheese grater' quality roads here in the Philippines that is even way bumpier than the gravel roads in USA. It can get awful towards the end of long rides. I don't care if it's ugly as long as it can isolate my butt from the bumps! I've tested it in two short rides so far. And so far, it's massive improvement over traditional road saddles in comfort. I felt way more confident with bike handling because I'm no longer bouncing all over the bike over the bumps. I even got faster which is a welcome improvement. It feels literally like sitting in a sofa!

I probably won't recommend it to heavier riders. The foam/cushion used is pretty soft. The plastic structure also flexes easily. It feels just right to me but I only weigh 115 lbs. It will probably be too soft for heavier riders. It looks real big too. If a traditional road saddle is a fighter plane, this saddle is a mothership! It looks very odd on a drop bar bike. But one great thing going for it, damping is impeccable for such cheap suspended product. No bouncing at all!

20230316_111922sss.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Another pair of cycling shorts from Aerotech. $90. Trying out another budget pair hoping for the best. Chamois looks far better than the more expensive pearl Izumi shorts. But I'll find out on Saturday.

And a tube of Blue Steel anti chaffing cream, $15 to put me over the free shipping minimum.

Well not for my bike, a friend's bike I guess.

I had posted my gloves on my strava ride so a buddy saw them and asked for a link.

I told him I'd get him a pair so I ordered them tonight on ebay. Really well fitting imo.
Screenshot_20230409_204918_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230409_204850_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
More hydration. 30 and 24 packets for $28 at Costco. One hydration and one hydration immune system support containing more vita c and zinc.View attachment 5767

I suppose this counts because this is what I use for ride electrolyte and the last thing I bought that I use in rides. The 140 gram product only cost 50 cents and I only add 1/6th teaspoon per bottle of water.

I think many don't like the taste of salted water but I do because I love drinking milk and salted water kinda taste like milk to me!

main-iodized-salt-20200406011357.jpg

I suppose this counts because this is what I use for ride electrolyte and the last thing I bought that I use in rides. The 140 gram product only cost 50 cents and I only add 1/6th teaspoon per bottle of water.

I think many don't like the taste of salted water but I do because I love drinking milk and salted water kinda taste like milk to me!

main-iodized-salt-20200406011357.jpg

The Pedialyte Sport packets are very salty. I got used to it for a bit but found Liquid IV that's a little cheaper so I switched.

I'd reviewed the liquid IV just now online , not knowing anything about it. Read a few reviews . There is a caffeinated version.
That is screaming "try me".

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The Pedialyte Sport packets are very salty. I got used to it for a bit but found Liquid IV that's a little cheaper so I switched.

I like even saltier for the taste. But I avoid putting to much salt in my water because that will cause me to pee more frequently and over-drink.

For some strange reason I seem to do better on Himalayan pink salt. I stopped using it because it's way more expensive and I've read the extra minerals isn't enough to make it any better than iodized salt. Maybe I'm simply not getting enough sleep these past few weeks

Actually, skewers for my bike rack. Truck bed bar type. Old ones just about toast so I found these on ebay for $6 per set.

Don't need the rear skewers but always good to have spare parts, springs, caps etc.

20230412_164837.jpg

I post pics of my nutrition, liquid iv so hey, why not! :D

I never eat before and during rides no matter how long and how hard the ride and my ride drink is simply home-made mineral water + iodized salt so my nutritional concerns are mostly with recovery. My foundational recovery food is cacao and coconut (all edible stuff inside a coconut) and to a lesser amount, full cream fortified milk and I can eat anything else. They are produced locally so I can get them very cheaply in large quantities. Eliminates the need for expensive food supplements which doesn't work as well as advertised.

And I just bought $2 worth of raw coconut edibles to last me a few weeks!

I never eat before and during rides no matter how long and how hard the ride and my ride drink is simply home-made mineral water + iodized salt so my nutritional concerns are mostly with recovery. My foundational recovery food is cacao and coconut (all edible stuff inside a coconut) and to a lesser amount, full cream fortified milk and I can eat anything else. They are produced locally so I can get them very cheaply in large quantities. Eliminates the need for expensive food supplements which doesn't work as well as advertised.

And I just bought $2 worth of raw coconut edibles to last me a few weeks!

I believe I have read more than one post of yours mentioning bonking. Maybe you ought to consider taking in some nutrition on your rides. Bonking etc can be dangerous to one's health.

I believe I have read more than one post of yours mentioning bonking. Maybe you ought to consider taking in some nutrition on your rides. Bonking etc can be dangerous to one's health.

That's true! I did write about my experiences on bonking a few months ago and later on found my problem was far more serious than just poor ride fueling. I was prediabetic!

A good friend diagnosed the problem and also advised me to try a diet that improved Insulin sensitivity and also do intermittent fasting. He did it all for free and even the diet plan is simple, the foods I needed to get are cheap. Two of those are cacao and coconut which became my staple food for training recovery.

At first I did intermittent fasting during weekdays and ate normally during weekends when I did long rides and made my own rice crackers to eat during rides. After only 1 month, I'm no longer bonking on rides! Then I also eliminated pre-ride meals but still ate during rides.

Eventually, my body had adapted so well at metabolizing body fat I can now do my long rides well within my 'fasting window' without eating and without bonking.

I'm not on keto diet btw. My diet is still high carb diet. But intermittent fasting does get me into 'ketosis' a few hours a day and sooner during a long ride. I know when it does. My sweat literally starts smelling like acetone or gasoline.

I would have listed rice as one of my cycling purchases since I make my own salted rice crackers from white rice that I cooked but since I don't eat on rides anymore, I'm not going to write about them. They make incredibly good ride fueling though. I love the taste of rice crackers, they don't cause indigestion and how quickly they are absorbed into the bloodstream would depend on how much you toasted them. Like for long, moderate intensity rides, I'll toast them pretty good so the carbs is absorbed more slowly and more efficiently. Less toast on short, punchy rides.

Last edited: