What was your best upgrade?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kdelong, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sogood

sogood New Member

My best upgrade... Getting back to cycling.

Hardware wise... Swapping out the flat bar with bull horns for a set of drop bar with Chorus shifters. Yep, full celeste coloured tape. :D

2. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

No, but the downtube mounted gear shifters are original. Only bit that is.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

OK. Just wanted to be sure it was original. I never heard of anyone upgrading around shifters though:rolleyes: .

4. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

The shifters are the only part that haven't worn out, or needed to be replaced to be compatible with another upgrade.

5. padawan

padawan New Member

Hands down the #1 upgrade is my Powertap. Best money one can spend if they're serious about their training and looking to improve performance.

I'd say 2nd place (although much further down) would be a compact crank for my Tri bike. Huge difference on long and hilly courses when you don't have the benefit of a pack to draft! I actually think a compact crank would improve the performance of a large percentage of riders out there (i.e. below say Cat 3) by giving them more/tighter gears they can actually use. When you think about the speed you have to be going to spin out a 50 x 11 or 50 x 12... But then maybe some people like attacking on the steep downhills. :D

6. Skoorb

Skoorb New Member

Agree, I think most bikes are over geared. I consider myself quite strong but rarely use the highest gear on the bike I'm using now, and it's a 53/39 front, 12/23 rear. I only use the 53/12 combo when going down some silly hill at 40-50 mph. I use the lowest gear quite a lot on climbs.

7. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I started cycling on a Grand Prix, back in the 70's. Simplex shifting, Stronglight crank (steel, strong but not light), Weinmann brakes. Dura-Ace barely existed back then. Price up Campy equipment from that era, it isn't all that expensive.

If you like the classic look and feel (and I do), check out what a Raleigh Professional sells for on ebay, in restored condition. Not too long ago, someone had a Team Pro model, the one that was red and yellow, new in box and never ridden. Wanted $1.5k for it, I think, whereas the last time I looked, a clean Professional was in the $700 range. Every so often, I get out my classic Falcon San Remo - 531 butted frame, still has the original 1970 dated Campy NR gear. And it rides soooo smooth and sweet.

One thing about the old Campy gear, it really doesn't wear out.

8. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Just saw another Team Pro go for $84.00. It had been ridden but not for 14 years or so. Looked immaculate. only problem was it was pick up only in Texas, and it was only posted for 1 day, not enough time to arrange a freight broker:mad: .

9. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Best upgrades;

1/ Helmet mirror - sense of security knowing what's coming behind me and knowing when I can pull out in traffic etc.

2/ Computer with Cadence - (Cateye Astrale8) - my riding is so much smoother now and endurance has increased.

3/ Building up a Single Speed bike(not fixed gear) with fixed mudguards. In the nearly 2 months I've been riding it its helped my hillclimbing and my spin on the flats too and so nice to not be covered in road grim at this time of the year(our winter).

4/ Lyrca skull cap - great for colder weather and night riding.

Good ideas people:)

10. J@co

[email protected] New Member

First pair of aero/tri bars (carbon so they dont add THAT much extra weight) they really do make a difference, cause you're more aero and stuff, too bad some road races ban them, but at least for medium sprints or long slow rides, they're great in training! Next upgrade is Zipp wheels, now if I can only save up my money for more than 3 months without spending it!

11. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

A light & Motion ARC front light....I can now ride my Bike at night too...any upgrade that allows one to ride more and indeed ride safer has to be in the top 3 :D