What was your best upgrade?

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
Who would have thought that a pair of Bontrager Race wheels and Race Lite tires would add 5 MPH to my average speed on my lowly 2003 Raleigh Competition? The weight is close to the Alex wheels that I had with the Conti tires, and both sets use aero rims. The only major difference is that the Bontragers have flat spokes. Is it the flat spokes, or is it purely phsycological?

What upgrades have you made to your bikes that have greatly, or not so greatly, improved your performance?

I had some really shitty mitts. Last week, I bought some new ones from PBK. Now my hand numbness has disappeared.

A while back I had a very bad saddle as well - it actually made my genitals numb. Needless to say that went into the bin.

I am torn between the look clipless pedals or the shimano STI levers.

The best two inventions on the cycling world, IMHO!

Beyond buying my first road bike, I have never made any kind of upgrade that I can notice when riding. Other than training. You can spend thousands buying stuff that'll make no perceptible difference to your rides.

Upgrading to the Platinum membership at the Catholic Schoolgirls Who Dig Other Catholic Schoolgirls website. The video and picture selection is much better.

As for other upgrades.......wheels and the power meter.

alienator said:
Upgrading to the Platinum membership at the Catholic Schoolgirls Who Dig Other Catholic Schoolgirls website. The video and picture selection is much better.

QUOTE]

You're too picky, limiting yourself to one particular religion
rolleyes.gif
. When I was in school (university), and older guy tried giving me advice to enjoy my youth. He looked to the left, then to the right, saw that no one was listening, and said, "Just remember, there is no such thing as an ugly 18 year-old". Wisdom I only appreciated after the fact.

#1 Fizik Adilante seat
#2 Cannondale Six13 Pro frame ($400 ebay) from Roubaix comp
#3 Mavic SL wheels from Shimano 540's
#4 switching back to Shimano pedals from speedplay

alienator said:
Upgrading to the Platinum membership at the Catholic Schoolgirls Who Dig Other Catholic Schoolgirls website.
Hey have you got a link? If it will improve my cycling, I'll take a look at it. I suppose that like Artemidorus and Rudycyclist have suggested, the best upgrade is to upgrade ones fitness level and time in the saddle.

Mine was buying a road bike (I used to ride my MTB on the road - now I keep my MTB purely for off-road)

garagedog said:
#1 Fizik Adilante seat
#2 Cannondale Six13 Pro frame ($400 ebay) from Roubaix comp
#3 Mavic SL wheels from Shimano 540's
#4 switching back to Shimano pedals from speedplay

not recomending speedplays? ive got a friend who is looking at getting some, they seem alright?

~MoDCoN~ said:
not recomending speedplays? ive got a friend who is looking at getting some, they seem alright?

Speedplays are great, but like saddles, shorts, and fetishes, not everyone likes the same ones.

Complete Phonak team gear. I'll have one **** day in it, then the next day I'll feel invincible. Seriously though, it looks great, the Craft EIT pro 4 whatever chamois is amazing, and Jason McCarty, turns out, is just about the exact same size as me. Nothing like self confidence inspiring kit. Plus the catlike helmet is great.

Oh yeah, LG enze ergo air gloves are great too.

moving to road... then buying a decent road bike (trek 1400) and going clipless... massive difference in power/endurance/top speed

:D

Good set of tires (high TPI count) and latex tubes, make a big difference.

kdelong said:
Who would have thought that a pair of Bontrager Race wheels and Race Lite tires would add 5 MPH to my average speed on my lowly 2003 Raleigh Competition? The weight is close to the Alex wheels that I had with the Conti tires, and both sets use aero rims. The only major difference is that the Bontragers have flat spokes. Is it the flat spokes, or is it purely phsycological?

What upgrades have you made to your bikes that have greatly, or not so greatly, improved your performance?
1.)From crappy old Araya touring wheels to Mavic Cosmos with 130psi Contis.. rolls much nicer, climbs a little better, even with my 200lb load.
2.) Wider handlebars - opens up chest for better breathing
3.) Went to Ultegra derailleurs - they seem to index more accurately and more positively, I used to have to play with the 105 front triple more.
4.) From crappy Bike Nashbar to SRAM force chain. Huge difference in shifting smoothness and rust resistance.
5.) Seat ! From hard as a rock C'dale stocker to something more anatomically designed and comfortable (WTB Race or something)

That's it.

Geo