What was your first bike?, how'd you get the money for it?, etc. etc.

mrchainsaw

Aug 7, 2005
I'm desperate, I really want to get a bike because cycling sounds SO fun to me, but I have zero money and no way to earn any. I'm 15 and I have a lawnmower but, no money to buy gas. I do have a birthday coming up, but my family isn't exactly loaded probably under $100 if they teamed up. I did find an old road bike for sale near me for only $60, but that's $60 too much, plus it sold. So, how'd you make money to buy your first road bike?

My first road bike had actually been my brother's, and I ended up with it at about 12 years old (I was always taller than him). Same with my second road bike. Both were Nishikis. I gave one to a buddy of mine, and I forget now what happened to the other. Wish I still had at least one, for nostalgia's sake. The first bike I went and bought on my own was my FSR, when I was already 24. The money came from 40 hour weeks in a warehouse job. :D At the time, at $1000, it was the priciest thing I'd ever bought. My next road bike didn't happen until 2003, when I bought my LeMond, but has since been supplanted by my new Roubaix, which, other than my car, is the priciest thing I've ever purchased. It was the fulfillment of a long-held dream to get something like that, and a reward to myself for overcoming some personal goals. Of course, 7 years after getting that FSR I worked so hard for, this one was actually easier to acquire, thanks to professional advancement. ;)

I'd gladly do 40 hours a week in a warehouse for a road bike. Actually, I can't really think of any job I wouldn't do.

I think at 15 you can get a waiver to work part-time. Get a part-time job, checking account, and don't spend any of your earnings... deposit your paychecks.

When I was 17 (five years ago), I got a summer job at a warehouse as a stocker. I worked 40 hours a week at $5.50/hour, and saved $1600 over a two month period. This was to help my parents pay for my college expenses though, but still, you can use it on a road bike.. and at your age, you don't have to worry about college for some time. Best to get a bike before college, because you won't have any time/money during that four years!

I wanted a road bike all throughout my senior year of college, but I couldn't afford one. So when I graduated, I used my second paycheck to go buy a trek 1000.

Yeah, it's possible for me to get hired, but very unlikely. I live in a small town with limited jobs and plenty of older high schoolers looking to fill them. Plus, no job experience other than a paper route doesn't help me.

Sounds like it's worth a shot.. put on a shirt and tie, and go try to get interviews, fill out applications, etc. A younger, enthusiastic applicant may come off more appealing than the average older high schooler. Good luck to you. :D

Get a job at your local bike shop... just go in and say you can do small jobs here and there such as help cleaning the service dept. Then work your way up into sales or service.
Basically what this will do is give you the chance to learn more about bikes, earn some money, and get the oh so great pro deal discounts on pretty much anything bicycle related. take about 70% off of anything in the store and thats what you would pay.

I part-time at a bike shop and have for the past three years, I started there on a bmx addiction, then transferred to road biking. I dont need to work there anymore but the discounts are too good to pass up. Also, we have about 3 to 4 14-15 year old that come in and work an hour or so after school and on weekends. so its possible.

we're talking ancient history here, but i started working part-time in a restaurant when i was 16. started as dishwasher, busting my butt. wanted to ride a bike from rhode island to mexico. finally got enough money and bought a bianchi. i'm still riding it 34 yars later. had the frame chromed and repainted (professionally for a change) a few years ago. it still has the oringinal brakes (universal) front and rear derailleur (campy nuovo record and grand tourismo), hubs and rims, stem, handle bars, seat post, rear rack and fenders.

this bike is my oldest and bestest friend (excuse the grammar).

for your birthday, maybe your folks could open up a savings account for you. that way you could get a bit more at christmas too.

try settling for a real beater for now, till you can save up for a nice bike. put an add in one of those free newspapers, put notices up at laundromats, supermarkets, church, etc. i'd bet there are enough people with their or their kids old bikes in the garage who wouldn't mind getting rid it. also, try the dump. see a bike at a garage sale but got no cash. how about doing their lawn "x" number of times instead?

also, don't give up on getting a job. i eventually worked my up in the restaurant business to head chef at a number of restaurants. believe me, i'd rather hire a 15 or 16 year old who shows some ***** over your average high school senior who's only interest is calling in sick so he can go out cruising and trying to score. apply and do the interview scene. expect "sorry" for an answer at first, but keep going back on a regular basis. determination will get you a job.

by the way, sounds like WP33 is doing fairly well in the bike department these days. maybe he'd let you have one of his bikes if you fronted the shipping. LOL;)

I had to totally scank around to get my first "proper" bike, buying each part bit by bit. There was no way I could afford a whole bike when I was 19.

I was young and stoopid, and bought a 2nd hand 59cm 531 frame off a guy that was 6'4" (I'm 6ft"). Most of the parts were very cheap (eg: SR bars and stem), and I turned up to my first race in 1987 with a 5-speed cluster, non-aero braker levers (the old style with the cable coming out the top of the hoods), and $20 cranks with ONE CHAIN RING!!!! :D

It took me 6 months to save for some $120 Shimano 600 cranks; I didn't even know what Dura-Ace was.

I saved for so long, and drooled over the parts in the cabinet at my LBS that I can still remember the price of most of the stuff -- the Shimano 600 rear derailleur was $30, and the front derailleur was $27...

mrchainsaw said:
I'm desperate, I really want to get a bike because cycling sounds SO fun to me, but I have zero money and no way to earn any. I'm 15 and I have a lawnmower but, no money to buy gas. I do have a birthday coming up, but my family isn't exactly loaded probably under $100 if they teamed up. I did find an old road bike for sale near me for only $60, but that's $60 too much, plus it sold. So, how'd you make money to buy your first road bike?
When I was 15, I got a job mowing grass for a real estate company. Just pushing the mower from job to job got me even more work as people would stop me and hire me to cut their yards. I was doing up to 15 yards a week. I also cleaned gutters, swept roofs, cleaned out garages, moved heavy stuff for old ladies, weeded gardens, walked dogs, whatever. It was hard work but the money was good. I bought my school clothes and did some upgrades on my drum set. The next year I started work at K-mart, then did construction jobs in the summers. Worked on campus in the chemistry labs and at McD's through college. Spent my money on my car instead of a bike.

My first true road bike I bought two months ago. Paid cash for an Orbea Dauphine. But I'm old, have a nice job, and no kids.

Rather than saving up for a very nice bike, I'd suggest a decent used bike with a more upright geometry. Not a hybrid but not something where the saddle is 5 inches above the handlebars, either. You can upgrade the components as the money allows.

philso said:
for your birthday, maybe your folks could open up a savings account for you. that way you could get a bit more at christmas too.
I already have an account. I do get some money for my b-day, but most my family likes giving gifts rather than money.

Get a job at your local bike shop... just go in and say you can do small jobs here and there such as help cleaning the service dept. Then work your way up into sales or service.
Basically what this will do is give you the chance to learn more about bikes, earn some money, and get the oh so great pro deal discounts on pretty much anything bicycle related. take about 70% off of anything in the store and thats what you would pay.

I part-time at a bike shop and have for the past three years, I started there on a bmx addiction, then transferred to road biking. I dont need to work there anymore but the discounts are too good to pass up. Also, we have about 3 to 4 14-15 year old that come in and work an hour or so after school and on weekends. so its possible.
That sounds like a good job to have, except the closest bike shop is in the next town over.

I asked around at school and a friend said I could come out and help at his Dad's, friends' business. I spent 40 hour weeks cutting this anti-termite mesh over the 6, 2 and other 2 week breaks to save up for my OCR3, which I waited for and got the 2006 model.