What was your longest ride?

artyarson

Nov 28, 2015
I can't remember exactly but as I kid I could spend the entire day riding my bike. And what is your story?

Longest in distance is 126 with 7,000 ft of climbing.

Longest in time was 114 miles with 12,000 ft of climbing in 8 hours.

I'm not 100% sure what the question is asking, but I've rode the Lands end to John O'groats here in the UK for charity and that's around 870 miles I think. It was obviously done over a few days if that's what the OP means.

And here I was, feeling all great 'cause I rode 80km recently :( It was a group ride to a nearby fishing village.

Where I live there aren't much destinations that are nearby, the closest city is 200kms away and I'm not sure I'd survive that trip yet, lol.

My longest ride was about 100 miles and it took me around 7-8 hours to complete. Very nice scenery and met a couple of friendly bikers in which we shared some of the road together with.

I think on most long journeys, especially ones that are out in the country rather than built up areas, you do usually get to meet and share the company of a lot of other cyclists.

Everyone in their lifetime who enjoys cycling (and if they're healthy enough) should try and complete at least one or two long road trips, as you do get a sense of satisfaction knowing what you've achieved.

That's kind of impressive! Good on you. Btw, did you actually mean "from Brest to Paris and back to Brest again"? Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Sorry, my brain was scrambled after a long ride. It should have read Paris to Brest and back to Paris (PBP). Lots of riders have done these 1200Km "Grand Randonnees" but usually they stop and sleep a few times. I did it nonstop excepting getting my control card stamped..

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?cat=accueil&lang=en&page=edito

Sorry, my brain was scrambled after a long ride. It should have read Paris to Brest and back to Paris (PBP). Lots of riders have done these 1200Km "Grand Randonnees" but usually they stop and sleep a few times. I did it nonstop excepting getting my control card stamped..

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?cat=accueil&lang=en&page=edito

Sorry what? You rode 1200KM without stopping? Is that even physically possible?

Either way I think we all need to realise just what our limits are when undergoing long rides such as this, and while we might want to be able to cover certain distances, sometimes we have to air on the side of caution and accept the fact that our bodies can't handle it, and that's especially the case as we get older.

Hmmm! I can't remember but I think it must be when I ride with my girlfriend because I feel much energy when she is with me.We just talk a lot and keep cycling to be fit.
Keep cycling and be fit.

Hmmm! I can't remember but I think it must be when I ride with my girlfriend because I feel much energy when she is with me.We just talk a lot and keep cycling to be fit.
Keep cycling and be fit.

How far your able to ride does depend a lot on who your riding with. I've had a few long journeys in the past and the people I've rode with have been that miserable and depressing I've seriously thought about turning back.

The company you ride with certainly makes a big difference anyway.

I had several rides of 100 kilometres. I don't think I went over that point but I will surely. I was afraid to go because I never had full equipment and I wouldn't like to find myself far away from home with some issues that I cannot handle easily. I will have my bike tighten up in few days and I hope I will go at least a bit longer this time. It is not a road bike and that is a small problem. The tyres are broad and it is not high as well so it is hard to pedal but I have strength and stamina so it wouldn't be a problem.

If your wanting to cycle that kind of distances then it sounds like your bike could be the major problem that's stopping you, and you may want to consider changing it?

I haven't got a road bike either, but it's still comfortable enough to be able to ride on the road, and I'd have no hesitation in riding that kind of distance.

Sorry what? You rode 1200KM without stopping? Is that even physically possible?

Either way I think we all need to realise just what our limits are when undergoing long rides such as this, and while we might want to be able to cover certain distances, sometimes we have to air on the side of caution and accept the fact that our bodies can't handle it, and that's especially the case as we get older.

I think I explained it. No sleep. Stop only to pee or get the card stamped.

I've had several multi-day rides, considering that I am a tourist. I generally build my bikes for distances. For the first time since I was a teenager, I have more than one bike at my disposal (or will shortly. Just a chainset and rear mech away from that). Mondtänzerin is a general purpose road bike, and thebike I'm building ( Shattentänzerin) will be a full up touring rig. 60 and 80kms a day are what I usually pull when touring, and if you string enough of those together, you can go quite a distance indeed.

Sometimes I get rides that last all day. I once rode a cruiser bike when I was around my teenage years, and I remember riding 30 miles from home to a point of interest. The wheels were riding perfectly on the roads and went as fast as about 30 mph on a steep downhill.

Now that I'm trying to bring my mountain bike out, I will need to add a rack, a saddlebag, and the bottle cage to the 6-year-old bike if I want to commute on the roads all day.

With a mountain biike, if youmwant to go any extended distance on paved roads, you should consider getting tires designed for that kind of use. Usin dirtmspecific tires on the road causes a loss of traction that makes cornering particularly dangerous.

So far 80 miles was my longest rides, I'm impressed with these guys doing big distances in the 100-200's. I will try my hand at doing my first century distance pretty soon. I've been riding for a little under a year and a century is one of the next phases I want to see in my progression.