What were your best efforts on a bike?

Scarpelli

Aug 27, 2003
I think back at my best efforts in the saddle, and they don't all relate to wins, (although my '02 district TT win was satisfying.)

My most memorable effort was in the Huntsman World Senior Games road race a few years ago, in a six-man break. Another rider and I went off the back on "the wall" and the two of us had to make up a quarter mile gap, chasing a four-man group that included two national champions, and Race Across America winner Pete Penseyres. The two of us were maxed for about seven miles, doing a strict, tight, two-man time trial, and we caught the shocked group at the top of the descent to the finish. My front tire went soft on the downhill and I only got 5th, but the feeling of accomplishment was exhilarating, and I didn't care about my results.

What one moment sticks out as your best?

Reactions: haleylx4
I think back at my best efforts in the saddle, and they don't all relate to wins, (although my '02 district TT win was satisfying.)

My most memorable effort was in the Huntsman World Senior Games road race a few years ago, in a six-man break. Another rider and I went off the back on "the wall" and the two of us had to make up a quarter mile gap, chasing a four-man group that included two national champions, and Race Across America winner Pete Penseyres. The two of us were maxed for about seven miles, doing a strict, tight, two-man time trial, and we caught the shocked group at the top of the descent to the finish. My front tire went soft on the downhill and I only got 5th, but the feeling of accomplishment was exhilarating, and I didn't care about my results.

The first time I rode after I was hit by a car. It was more the meaning of the effort not the quality. I can't imagine how the cyclists from Rhyl CC will feel. A day like that would never leave you.

The first time I rode after I was hit by a car. It was more the meaning of the effort not the quality. I can't imagine how the cyclists from Rhyl CC will feel. A day like that would never leave you.

My first "real" tour. In all the years I rode a bicycle I never participated in organized cycling. Not for any reason, I just did'nt.

In 2001 I had a really bad year. I ended up "resting" for a time. In March of that year My dad came to visit and gave me a gift from my brother. His 1994 Nishiki Optima hybrid. I said thanks man but whats this for? he said just ride it paul. Ride it every day and you'll feel better. Man was he ever right.
By November I announced to my wife I was entering T.O.S.R.V. a local bike tour the following May held annualy for like 28 years straight. I trained hard doing 20 to 25 miles 3 weekdays and 50 milers every Saturday. In May 2002 I completed T.O.S.R.V. A two day 220 mile ride. 8.5 hours down and 8 hours back. It was the second greatest physical challenge of my life rivaling Army Basic Training.
The bike that brought me back is my avitar

My first "real" tour. In all the years I rode a bicycle I never participated in organized cycling. Not for any reason, I just did'nt.

In 2001 I had a really bad year. I ended up "resting" for a time. In March of that year My dad came to visit and gave me a gift from my brother. His 1994 Nishiki Optima hybrid. I said thanks man but whats this for? he said just ride it paul. Ride it every day and you'll feel better. Man was he ever right.
By November I announced to my wife I was entering T.O.S.R.V. a local bike tour the following May held annualy for like 28 years straight. I trained hard doing 20 to 25 miles 3 weekdays and 50 milers every Saturday. In May 2002 I completed T.O.S.R.V. A two day 220 mile ride. 8.5 hours down and 8 hours back. It was the second greatest physical challenge of my life rivaling Army Basic Training.
The bike that brought me back is my avitar

I got into a pace line with three other guys. When we approached the parking lot I out smarted the younger guys and to beat them in a sprint finish. Afterward, one of them complained that I had faked them out rather than beating them honestly on speed or power. It made me feel very proud. It was a nothing special Monday night ride and we certainly weren't among the fast guys but, if you ride like I do, you have to take what you can get.

Finishing third in a road race, aganist US Marines, on thier base, just 6 months after a nasty crash that left me off the bike for a month and out of work for a week.

Scarpelli said:

I have to cheat, as I have two favourite moments.

First one. Local D grade club race - my own club, but I had been racing elsewhere for months as I prefer another club's course. I was racing C grade at the other club. Return to my home club and still put in D grade. Not happy, but first race with my home club shows how little I know as I was dropped. Train hard for a while, and return to my club and go on to win D grade two races in a row, and after doing nearly all the work. Felt like my effort was rewarded and my poor prior attitude redeemed. DO it the right way and it feels better.

Second one. Entered a 100k mountain bike event as part of a 3 man team - I did the final leg. Despite a competitive field the only people that passed me on an ascent that I did not repass on a descent or flat were two elite riders, and no one passed me on anywhere else. Best part was running up the steep final climb (it was quicker) with a guy who had done the whole race solo, then hitting the dirt roads back to the finish, just cranking out 55 kph, with my new found solo buddy trying to hang on (he did until the final pitch). Why is this special? it was FUN.

Well just keeping up on distance every day of the week. Consistency with time and effort. So many fall out of it.

I've never cycled professionally, nor do I ever intend to. However, I did push myself to master a few stunts and tricks when I owned a BMX as a kid. They were quite difficult to master, I remember spending countless afternoons and weekends just practicing. I finally got good with BMX stunts around a year and a half of owning my bike. While not one of my greatest efforts in the grand scheme of things, I remember feeling quite proud of myself.

My best efforts that I accomplished were riding a distance of 8 miles in about 45 minutes.

It might seem rubbish in comparison but I was really pleased with it and managed to complete my goal which was getting back home before it got dark.