What wheel profile...for crits and...?

LouisN

Feb 9, 2007
Hi there,
With all the wheel profiles out there, it's hard for me to follow up since I haven't trained or raced for 19 years(!!!) I'm back at it now but would like to have your advice on what type and profile of wheels to buy. I will mainly train for a maximum time of 2 to 3 hours on short distances (average distance per summer is 5000 km), mostly interval training. The races I will take part in are short and fast criteriums (30-50 km) and short road races (50-80 km).
I'm 170 lbs for 5'10"
The wheels will serve as my trainig AND racing wheels, so I can give up a hundred grams or two to get stronger wheels.
Budget is around $250-300 USD.
Thanks to all,
LouisN

If they are your only set of wheels, then you obviously need something that is both dependable and easily repaired in the event of a crash or mishap. If it were me, I would get the best hubs you can afford in that price range (Campy centaur or chorus? Ultegra if your drivetrain is Shimano?) built up with 14/15 spokes (32) and a decent set of rims (Open Pros, CXP 33s, FIR Zenith, Velocity, etc), and brass nipples. That would probably be more useful than any pre-built in that price range.

domaindomain said:
Could you run to some Mavic Kysirium (even second hand)
+1. For a couple of years I had only one set of wheels, Ksyrium Elites, picked up used for $225 USD. Raced them , trained hard on them. No problem whatsoever. Still in use today.