What wheels are you riding on?

alfeng said:
I don't think that 205 lbs. qualifies you as being a Clydesdale.
Of course it does. 200lb or 90kg.

I ride WH-R550s and have about 500 miles on them with no problems. They stay true enough and are pretty low on the drag. The pavement is pretty broken in some of the places I ride but I manage to avoid most of the bigger bumps. I am also just barely qualified for clydesdale status.

6'6" and 265lbs I have close to 10,000 kms on these wheels over the last five years

snake belly tires, thorn proof tubes and 90 psi of air (keep it out of the sun when parked)

Oh the wheels a cheap set of teny,s off of ebay a little heavy but the least of my worries

i actually own a set set of Tag and Areospokes mag wheels I prefer the Teny's

plus if bike is stolen i am not out a ton of money

My dad is 6'8" weighs 325lbs and rides teny,s as well, his set has about 4000 kms on them standing up very well
I average 200 kms a week
A tip for some of the heavier riders have your spoked wheels built with brass spoke bushings almost bomb proof and no more broken spokes

IMG_0935_2.jpg

I'm 6'2" and 260 and my bike came with Campagnola Scirocco G3 wheels,24 spokes front & rear. I asked the dealer if they were strong enough for me and he laughed and said they were bullet/bomb proof, even for a big like me.
Anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Im 6'3 225, down from 240. My bike came with Shimano R 550A with the aero spokes. I have over 2600 miles and not a single problem, still true as can be. I was thinking about something a little lighter as hills are plentiful locally, and there is no way to avoid them. I used to hate hills, but now I kind of enjoy the pain and the results I get riding them. I wish I would have picked up riding 10 years ago!

I bought a Scott Speedster over the summer that came with a 20/24 front/rear wheelset on Alex rims. Since I'm 6' 4.5" and 200 lbs (technically a Clydesdale according to the forum header), these wheels were not cutting it, so I decided to build myself a new wheel set.

Being quite a bit heavier than the racer types most components are built for and rather strong (I can spin the back tire on dry pavement) I knew I would need something fairly beefy, but I didn't want to overdo it and end up with something extremely heavy. After much deliberation, I settled on Velocity hubs and Deep-V rims with DT Swiss straight-gauge spokes and brass nipples. The front is a radial 28 and the rear, which is still in progress, is 2x on the non drive side and crow's foot on the drive side.

I took the front out this last weekend for a short ride and it felt great. Very stiff both laterally and vertically with very little resistance in the bearings.
I'll post an update with pictures once I build up the rear.

I have 3 bikes and all have 36 spokes with 3X lacing. I am in the process of building a road bike and have researched the wheel design quite a bit. I think that for me at 5'11" and 250# the 36 spoke 3x configuration is best since I am also 55 and not racing anyone but myself, nor am I concerned with saving small amounts of weight. I retired 3 years ago and now for fun I work part time in a bike shop as a tech. This gives me good prices on equipment as well as great advice from the Master Tech who has been to Barnett and is very talented.

So the wheels that I am going to make now are Dura Ace 7900 Hubs with DT Swiss TK540 rims and DT Swiss 2.0/1.8 mm butted stainless spokes with DT Swiss brass nipples. I have not decided for sure on the tires but I will probably go with Michelin 700 X 28 City's.

The Pro-Lite Gavia 50 Carbons are very happy to put up with my 115kg. I spoke to Pro-Lite before buying them, and they've been a flawless wheel set. As my only wheels, they see daily use, either training on road, or on rollers.. and after many km's of riding.. are still straight, still true, and the spokes haven't loosened at all.

I've done a 5 min review of them on a blogsite I have (don't worry, no ads..)
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/

I started in Jan at 363 lbs on a 2010 Canondale CAAD9. I'm now 315 and I've put 560 miles on it. Still going strong! Great bike!

Edited... I'm a mental giant and thought by "wheels" you meant "bike". Wow.

I'm on the stock Shimano RS-10 wheels. They are holding up strong to my weight. My bike's happy that the load keeps getting lighter!

Hello, I'm new to these forums and to this thread. First, I must say I'm a little concerned about the name Clydesdale. I keep seeing myself pulling the Budweiser wagon. So I'm looking at some new wheels and came across this thread. I'm a little concerned about weight limits of wheels (if there is such a thing). I contacted 2 companies and asked them about the weight capacity. One said that their wheels are designed for riders weighing less than 190 lbs. The second said that their wheels have no weight limit. Not sure if it matters but I'm a casual (road) rider riding local bike trails. I'm looking at Vuelta Corsalite and easton EA50 wheelsets. I don't want to spend too much. Any suggestions?

I'm 5'8" 210lbs and have been riding reynolds solitudes. Have over 2000 miles on them and haven't had to true them yet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk