What wheelset do you ride and why?

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
This stems from a conversation with Altwegg. I'm on Rolf Vector Pros and Mavic Classics SSC's.

I weigh 84kg and consider myself a bit of a sprinter. I bought SSC's after the Vector Pros self destructed on an uphill sprint. The Pros have since been fixed and act only as time trial wheels now....

My own sentiments...
Mavic Classics SSC: front 840g / Rear 1010g (indestructable, comfortable training/racing wheel, too many spokes to be a time trial/lone break contender)
Rolf Vector Pros: front 750g / 950g rear (noticably faster than 'normal' wheels, ultra stiff, fragile if you have some grunt)

What say you?

I've always been a MAVIC SSC fan (my SCC tubbie racing wheels outlasted my old bike and still exist), so when the time came to buy new clincher racing wheels, Ksyriums were my choice. OK, so my racing weight is only 65kg, but I've been riding them since the beginning of the year and have no regrets thus far. Feel very stiff and responsive, roll forever with Conti GP3000 tyres and the pair weighs in 800g lighter than my training wheels. In sprints & climbing they handle like a dream, but haven't TT'ed with them yet - I'm sure they'll be great there too ;D .

Have you seen the specs for the new Ksyrium SSC SL? Mmmmm tasty. www.mavic.com

When my Rolf Vactor Pros finally give up the ghost a pair of shiny new Ksyriums will replace them... ;)

Only problem with these babies: they cost an arm and a leg.

ksyrium_sscsl.jpg

From what the rave reviews say those babies will more than make up for one legged riding ;)

As stated by Eldron in another post, my current wheels are good enough for training. I am also saving up for a 'racing' set, but will be on a budget. What do you think of the Mavic Cosmos? I've heard that thte Shimano R535s are pretty heavy...

Mavic Cosmos are pretty good for a budget set of wheels. The cosmos aren't much different from a normal hub/spokes/rim wheelset (apart from cartridge bearings - damn Mavic are good at bearings). The wheels are 1800g/pair - you could do a Record Hub/Open Pro Rim combo for about 1600g. I like the Mavic Ksyruim SL (2001 Ksyriums) - light, aero and not waaaay out on price. My training wheels are Mavic Classic SSC's (industructable middleweights).

I like the spoking of the Shimano wheels - a Rolf idea without infringing patent by putting the spokes throught the side of the rim. The bottom of the range (WH-R535) are 1900g/pair dropping to 1723g/pair for the middle of the range (WH6500) and 1660g/pair for the WH7700. If you sell your family you can have the carbon WH7700 at 1540g/pair (tubby only). I haven't ridden them myself but been told they're rigid and aerodynamic.

I use a pair of WH-R535 for training, they arnt bad considering their price......very very cheap :)

i ride the shimano WH-7700 because they are fast, quite lite, good acceleration and climbing. and they look real cool 8) 8)

wh7700fh.gif

roadwh7700.jpg

ha ha na ill keep my v8 fuel injected wheels ;D ;D ;D only $1450 aus dollars ;)

The hubs look really trick! Good idea too - none of those pesky 90 degree bends that have a habit of parting company with the rest of the spoke!

I can get hold of a set of Rolf Vector Pros, but do not know if they will be able to carry my weight as I weigh 95 kg. Can anyone offer advise These wheels are still virtually brand new and the price is also good.

The wheels will carry your weight no problem - a friend has a pair and he tilts the scales at 94kg (and he's a maniac sprinter). No problems to date.

I'm lighter at 84kg and broke a spoke on the front wheel a few months back - got a new spoke, fitted it and no problems to date. The spokes are standard DT bladed spokes and are easily available.

One thing that does concern me is support from the manufacturer - the rolf website mysteriously disappered (bought out by Trek apparently). Trek don't seem to support the wheels so I'm quite confused...

I haven't seen any 2002 wheelsets from Rolf so who knows?

Found this interesting info:

Rolf Dietrich and Trek has parted ways, but Dietrich will produce his own Rold Prima line in 2002. Rolf's line will use three different patents. One patent is for a ceramic impregnation for the braking surface on carbon wheels. Another is the design of the Vigor, which is 100 grams lighter than the Rolf Vector Pro but with a deeper well. The third patent involves the spoke lacing technique. We were at the Rolf booth and got a chance to meet and talk to Rolf. The wheelsets were impressive and extremely light, the hubs are also newly improved for 2002 and look very sharp!

I like to use Campy (Record) Hubs because they're tough, have more bearings, ( three sets) and the races are REPLACEABLE and many of the parts are interchangeable throughout the line.
I like to mate them with whatever the latest "bombproof" but NOT the lightest Mavic rim is. I'm using "Open Comps"? right now on one bike and some older MA 40s on another. I would consider some Campy rims as well, but the Mavics work...

Spokes?- DT 2.0 straight gauge or 2.0X1.8 double butted

Ride Tough
Pat

I'm with Pat 5319. Campy Record but I went for bulletproof Rigidas. ;)

Campag Omega rims, from around the early 90's laced up three cross to a Dura-Ace 36 rear and radial to an Ultegra 32 front hub. Why cause they were good at the time and because they still work well for me. Why the Ultegra front hub? Cause the front gets trashed easier than the back so it is cheaper to replace the Ultegra hub if I need to.

There's a lot to be said for a 'traditional' wheelset (hubs, spokes and rims) - they last forever and are about half the price of the new wheelsets around. There is no doubt that some of the new stuff is faster and lighter but you also want a set of bomb proof training wheels.....campag hubs all the way!