what will CSC do with the yellow jersey?

hilljunkie

Sep 27, 2004
Well it now looks like the yellow jersey will indeed change teams. I don't think many people expected a veteran like voight to be wearing yellow into the second week. Things certainly are getting interesting. So now that CSC has the a rider in yellow how will they approach it? What exactly will their strategy be?

I don't think they will do anything seriously to try and keep it on Jens. He is not strong once the mountains get too steep.

another thing worth noting is that csc now has four riders in the top ten overall. So will this cause them to change their strategy? Will we see csc trying to control this race from the outset or will sit back content to launch timely attacks?

they will probably send a guy like sastre on the atack and let other teams do the work.

Most likely they will do timely attacks. If they go to the front with lots of riders, it will most likely be for the publicity than it will be to control the race.

Financially CSC (the cycling team, not the sponsor) is a dwarf, and they are still negotiating for a continued sponsor deal. They need alot of 'showing off' this time of year. Not only that, but they value the team competition quite highly because it gives guaranteed qualification to the next years TDF which helps when signing sponsors and riders.

I think sending off Sastre is a good bet as well. He is a desent solo rider, and big enough of a threat that the other teams cant afford to let him go very far. Julich is a better 'teamplayer' for Basso, so he will probably be kept in reserve, and its still too early to play the Basso card.

Yeah, the most logical thing is not to defend the jersey now.

They will have people attack off the front and force Discovery and T-Mobile to chase them down.

Hopefully that will then cause more trouble and we will see the big boys (Basso, Lance, Jan, etc) have to fend for themselves... :)

agreed.... CSC will do nothing to contol race.... they have no intrest in protecting yellow yet... it was a ploy to make Discovery do the work..... watch again on Tuesday when Voigt again will go up the road on attack early on meaning CSC won't have to cover any other moves..... Riis is a very smart man.....

Best thing I heard in Saturday was Ullrich saying this 'was fun'..... the guy is ready ! Armstrong was very jaded he could hardly stand-up.... you can't feign a feign.... :cool:

Powerful Pete said:
Yeah, the most logical thing is not to defend the jersey now.

They will have people attack off the front and force Discovery and T-Mobile to chase them down.

Hopefully that will then cause more trouble and we will see the big boys (Basso, Lance, Jan, etc) have to fend for themselves... :)

I think Basso will try to take it, Voigt is very strong, but not a real GC contender for a 3 week race. Maybe I`m wrong.

I don't go with theory that CSC won't defend the MJ.

They have four guys in the top 10 on GC going in to the rest day.
I think that they will defend it up to a point.
As I see it their view is "if you want it, you gotta take it from us".
Voigt punched the air as he passed the finish line on stage 10, knowing that he had the MJ.
He wanted it - CSC wanted it.

nonameboy said:
they will probably send a guy like sastre on the atack and let other teams do the work.
That is also my theory. Hopefully will make for a very exciting next two stages!