What will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananabrain

Nov 7, 2005
Assuming Landis is incriminated after his B sample, which I even now think is a heavy assumption (far too much hysterical gun-jumping in cycling circles for my liking), what will the outcome be? Will he be stripped of his TdF title?

At one point I was thinking maybe they should allow JU et all to race, thinking that to be found guilty after a successful tour would be even more distasteful than not being allowed to ride. In cycling though, this never seems to happen - all we get is an endless series of drug/doping/transfusion fiascos that are subsequently swept under the carpet. I've seen nothing in this tour to suggest that this latest round of shame and scandal will be any different to previous incidents..

bananabrain said:
Assuming Landis is incriminated after his B sample, which I even now think is a heavy assumption (far too much hysterical gun-jumping in cycling circles for my liking), what will the outcome be? Will he be stripped of his TdF title?

At one point I was thinking maybe they should allow JU et all to race, thinking that to be found guilty after a successful tour would be even more distasteful than not being allowed to ride. In cycling though, this never seems to happen - all we get is an endless series of drug/doping/transfusion fiascos that are subsequently swept under the carpet. I've seen nothing in this tour to suggest that this latest round of shame and scandal will be any different to previous incidents.

I think it'll follow the Heras case exactly.

1. A sample positive
2. B sample checked in presense of Landis's people (attorneys, scientists, whatever) if positive he's busted.
3. Appeal to CAS - if denied Pereiro gets another yellow jersey, a trophy and some money... probably about 4 months from now.

I took a quick look at the UCI rules and, from what I can tell, the thing is not over if he flags the B test. The UCI anti-doping folks are obligated to do a post-test investigation before making an official finding -- presumably this would include input from Landis and his medical experts. Even then, the whole thing gets adjudicated (including a full hearing) by the US Anti-Doping folks who will make a final determination. Is that right? In other words, whose decision gets appealed to the CAS?

If he is guilty....IF he is guilty, I hope they strike his name from the records. Only that kind of post facto action will combat the cheating. The message should be .."look, if we catch you and we will we will take any palmares won from you and ban you for at least 2 and preferably more years...in other words disgrace and end of career. NOTHING less will stop it.

bananabrain said:

At one point I was thinking maybe they should allow JU et all to race, thinking that to be found guilty after a successful tour would be even more distasteful than not being allowed to ride. In cycling though, this never seems to happen - all we get is an endless series of drug/doping/transfusion fiascos that are subsequently swept under the carpet. I've seen nothing in this tour to suggest that this latest round of shame and scandal will be any different to previous incidents.
ddfff

Status
Not open for further replies.