What winter road cycling clothes are you wearing on cyclingforums?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by tejas129, Dec 27, 2020.

1. tejas129

tejas129 New Member

I was fairly damp and miserable in a long sleeve merino jersey and tights yesterday, and usually find I get wetter still from sweat if I wear a jacket for more than 20 minutes or so.

What's the right level of kit for the current weather on say a 2 hour, fairly light pace ride?

Are the deep winter, thermal type clothing brands advertise appropriate for this weather, or is that overkill on cyclingforums

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Cold weather tolerance is VERY individual. And HIGHLY dependent on type/intensity of riding.
    Personally, my body runs on a simplified procedure: pulse up=sweat on. It’s as much about moisture management as it is about keeping warm. What works best for me are garments with dissimilar panels. Windproof/wind resistant fronts and ventilating side and rear panels.
    That will usually keep me comfortable while moving. Still, for any ride expected to contain a ”proper” break, I prefer to carry a wicking inner layer to change to.

3. tejas129

tejas129 New Member

4. alphasports

alphasports New Member

Given that most of us have no clue where you are, "kit for the current weather" is a bit of a broad ask, no?

dabac likes this.
  5. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Active Member

Very subjective question. When I was younger living in the high mountains and riding I could ride on a 30 degree day or even slightly lower with just thermal tights and a long sleeve jersey. Now that I am in my 50’s, a thermal long sleeve jersey and tights on a 40 degree day! Getting older is hard on the body.

Then again since I moved from the mountains back to the flat lands or actually rolling hills, I can ride bib shorts and short sleeve jersey on days I see others in long sleeves.

Just depends on what setup makes you comfortable on a ride to be honest and that comes from experimentation.