What winter road cycling clothes are you wearing on cyclingforums?

tejas129

Dec 27, 2020
I was fairly damp and miserable in a long sleeve merino jersey and tights yesterday, and usually find I get wetter still from sweat if I wear a jacket for more than 20 minutes or so.

What's the right level of kit for the current weather on say a 2 hour, fairly light pace ride?

Are the deep winter, thermal type clothing brands advertise appropriate for this weather, or is that overkill on cyclingforums

Cold weather tolerance is VERY individual. And HIGHLY dependent on type/intensity of riding.
Personally, my body runs on a simplified procedure: pulse up=sweat on. It’s as much about moisture management as it is about keeping warm. What works best for me are garments with dissimilar panels. Windproof/wind resistant fronts and ventilating side and rear panels.
That will usually keep me comfortable while moving. Still, for any ride expected to contain a ”proper” break, I prefer to carry a wicking inner layer to change to.

Very subjective question. When I was younger living in the high mountains and riding I could ride on a 30 degree day or even slightly lower with just thermal tights and a long sleeve jersey. Now that I am in my 50’s, a thermal long sleeve jersey and tights on a 40 degree day! Getting older is hard on the body.

Then again since I moved from the mountains back to the flat lands or actually rolling hills, I can ride bib shorts and short sleeve jersey on days I see others in long sleeves.

Just depends on what setup makes you comfortable on a ride to be honest and that comes from experimentation.

I got back into cycling 'proper' last year. When I say proper, I mean I cycle most days I can through winter.
Southern UK ranges from 0-10 degrees C as a guide, and I bought myself a few merino base layers as a starter.
For dry days, I bought a jacket from Endura, the Pro SL Windproof Thermal, which has been good although I did find that when arriving home, I was damp to say the least, when wearing just a merino base layer underneather, or similarly damp wearing a thin fleece mid layer and base layer on colder days.
Finding a jacket that is breathable enough to keep you warm, and still able to dissipate perspiration is really quite a challenge, let alone adding some degree of rain proofing. I also bought a Pearl Izumi WXB jacket which is totally waterproof, and breathes remarkably well, when wearing the right combination of layers beneath it. I say this because I found that when using a Pearl Izumi roubaix thermal mid layer and merino base layer dissipate most perspiration away, when compared to wearing a DHB thermal fleece mid layer with a merino baselayer.
I think that each brand within its own layering system, is able to achieve good results, but as soon as you start mixing brands together as a layering system, you lose breathability performance.
On the subject of keeping warm, I think the worst purchase I've made this winter was some entry level Assos bibtights, the unpadded version. Unless I was doing tempo or more intense work, I was verging on getting cold, and they have zero waterproofing. These bibtights are more like the Spring/Autumn bibtights they also advertise, good above 10celcius as long as it isn't raining. I should add, I'm a long standing Assos fan from 20years ago, and whilst their products generally are still good, I don't know why the 'Airblock' technology hasn't filtered down and being used in the entry level gear of today, and I'm dissappointed by what they offer at entry level and it's price point.
If you want good, warm bibtights with maximum waterproofing and good breathability, look no further than Pearl Izumi AmFib bib tights, padded or not are without doubt the best bibtights I've ever used. If it's slightly cold or likely to rain, I always wear these. They're made using softshell panels, so feel a bit less stretchy than most other bibtights, but you get used to them and they do their job very well.

Hey! Great to hear that you've been dedicated to cycling through the winter. It's important to dress appropriately for the temperature. Consider adding a lightweight, breathable rain shell on top of your layers to prevent dampness. Stay warm and keep pushing those pedals!