What would be a good starter mountain bike in the $400 dollar range?

eduguy

Apr 18, 2016
I live in Canada, so I am pretty sure that will affect prices and selection.I know it's a really low budget, but I'm wondering if there is a bike that will hold up on blue square trails. I used to bike all the time at my local trails a few years back, but that was when I was kid bike size, which made it hard to find a good quality one. Now that I'm in the adult size range, I'm wondering what would be a good purchase.

I'd highly prefer a Hard Tail bike with front forks because I like the feel of them more than the dual suspension bikes, and I hear they're lighter at this price range. I'm not that picky about wheel size, but I would prefer 26 or 27.5 because a 29 inch wheel would look odd on a small frame. A few years back, I read that forks in this price range were basically "pogo sticks". Is that still true?

If this budget is too low, I'd even consider going for a fully rigid bike with better components as I hear they're fun to ride. I'm young as well, so my body should be able to take a bit of a beating, and the trails I'd be riding aren't extremely rough either.

If you're going to stick to blue trails don't worry about full suspension. There's no need for it and it adds TONS to the price. Look for aluminum framed hardtail 29ers. Dollars to donuts you can get a good one off of Craigslist in your area for no more than the price you're willing to spend.

No man I think that there are many mountain bikes that come under $400 and they are of the best quality too. See there are many, but according to me the best will be Diamondback bicycles. I have mine of black and deep red color. It really looks awesome. But you can check another also. They are also good. Have a good time. :)

Or you could go with a cyclocross bike though you get pounded around a lot. I'd upload a couple of pictures but they're too finely detailed and so the files are too large.

I live in Canada, so I am pretty sure that will affect prices and selection.I know it's a really low budget, but I'm wondering if there is a bike that will hold up on blue square trails. I used to bike all the time at my local trails a few years back, but that was when I was kid bike size, which made it hard to find a good quality one. Now that I'm in the adult size range, I'm wondering what would be a good purchase.

I'd highly prefer a Hard Tail bike with front forks because I like the feel of them more than the dual suspension bikes, and I hear they're lighter at this price range. I'm not that picky about wheel size, but I would prefer 26 or 27.5 because a 29 inch wheel would look odd on a small frame. A few years back, I read that forks in this price range were basically "pogo sticks". Is that still true?

If this budget is too low, I'd even consider going for a fully rigid bike with better components as I hear they're fun to ride. I'm young as well, so my body should be able to take a bit of a beating, and the trails I'd be riding aren't extremely rough either.

In a time and season where even the most basic of items has become expensive, owning a mountain bike might seem like a luxury. But what if I told you that you could buy a mountain bike for yourself and kids for under $300? This might seem improbable but the truth is that many bike brands are designing affordable biking options that everyone can fit into their budget. Check out the list of 8 Best Mountain Bike below $400... http://www.bikelance.com/the-8-best-mountain-bike-in-2016/
two.jpg

I have to agree with trying used. Give kijiji a scan before you pounce on a new bike. Even better, see if you have any friends or family, or anyone else you trust who has a bike collecting dust. Also keep an eye out on the sports-check and flyers. They have a good selection of bikes with a various combination of wheel sizes and frame configurations that may fit your budget.

Reactions: snoogins70
I firmly believe that you should just go to a trusted local retail store and just ask them what your money can buy. It really is an important thing, as you get a warranty for their product, and you will not have to spend more money on repairs in case things don't go your way with the new product that you have bought. There are also benefits for them, as you help your local businesses with a sale, and you won't have to worry about any other payments for the bike as long as the warranty holds. It's a win win for everyone.

Plus one for the local shops if you have access to them. I know my local shop sells well maintained and guaranteed used bikes as well, much like a car dealership would (but without robbing you blind LOL) They are usually higher end but there is massive savings to be had. They really know what they are taking about and give great advice.

I have to agree with trying used. Give kijiji a scan before you pounce on a new bike. Even better, see if you have any friends or family, or anyone else you trust who has a bike collecting dust. Also keep an eye out on the sports-check and flyers. They have a good selection of bikes with a various combination of wheel sizes and frame configurations that may fit your budget.

I got a Storm 7.1 with 26 inch tires, so pretty old, from my brother as he wasn't using it. It's definitely not high performance, but it's decently smooth! The fork is an XCT I think, so I didn't expect much, but at least it's not a pogo stick!

I was surprised by the title of your post. Well, there are thousands of mountain bike available under $400. Most of the people think that the mountain bikes are amazing and they cost much more than the normal bikes but that's not true. Actually, you can get it for a much cheaper price.

The important thing is to get riding and get an idea of wha you're going to need by riding with others more experienced. DO NOT try to keep up with others. I am presently recovering from a road crash from trying to keep up with someone else. I was going a very little faster than usual on a road that I hadn't been on in awhile and I hit something pretty hard - possibly a rock on the road - which took my attention away from the road for a second. That's all it took in a fast turn. I do not break but man it feels like everything is broken. And my C40 now has a front fork that can be used as a tooth pick.

I was surprised by the title of your post. Well, there are thousands of mountain bike available under $400. Most of the people think that the mountain bikes are amazing and they cost much more than the normal bikes but that's not true. Actually, you can get it for a much cheaper price.
Warren - a good front fork would cost $400. Now you are correct that there are a lot of MTB's available for that price and on flat ground or small rollers that would be fine and a lot of fun. But you do NOT want a frame folding up under you at speed on complex fast descents.

Agreed... I just picked up a 10 year old Kona Caldera on Craigslist for $200. It was an almost $1200 bike when it was new. It needs some brake work done, and new pedals, but otherwise it's perfect.