What would be the next step up from this?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ken Marcet, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
    like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
    like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my rear
    end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.
    http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1248711 Now I would much
    prefer like a selle or some other higher quality brand name. I don't like
    Wally World stuff. This saddle seems like it has about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of
    foam in it. I compressed the foam with my fingers and it wasn't too soft,
    and it didn't feel like a "Real Man" granite saddle either I was looking at
    the Selle Italia FLX Brookland model.at nashbar.

    Ken
    --
    More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
    And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

    Tags:

  2. Brian Wax

    Brian Wax Guest

    Hi Ken,

    Wally World = no good! You are and have already received lots of advice.
    However, a saddle generally will not feel good out the box. Your back side
    will most likely protest a bit. I now ride on the Selle Italia Flite Trans
    Am. To me it is the best. Padding can be very misleading. You should rely on
    a chamois in your shorts.

    I have a few different saddles laying around. Tell me the application (type
    of bike) and I will see what I have. If I have something appropriate, we can
    work something out if you are interested.

    Brian

  3. "Ken Marcet" wrote:
    > Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
    > like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
    > like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my
    > rear
    > end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.

    Forget Wally World. But if you're secure in your masculinity, Nashbar has a
    great deal:

    http://tinyurl.com/3qlpx

    Art Harris

  4. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:28:00 -0500, "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
    >like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
    >like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my rear
    >end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.
    >http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1248711 Now I would much
    >prefer like a selle or some other higher quality brand name. I don't like
    >Wally World stuff. This saddle seems like it has about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of
    >foam in it. I compressed the foam with my fingers and it wasn't too soft,
    >and it didn't feel like a "Real Man" granite saddle either I was looking at
    >the Selle Italia FLX Brookland model.at nashbar.
    >
    >Ken

    Hi Ken, most bike shops will have saddles similar to the Bell. They
    will be sold as Oasis, Planet Bike, Serfas, or a number of other
    names. The pice will range from about $20 up to maybe $45. If you are
    going to ride without padded shorts and your rides are under about 20
    miles, then try one similar to the Bell. It will probably be fine.
    The first year back riding, I rode a little over 700 miles, average
    ride was 14 miles and I rode a men's specific Oasis CRZ saddle. I wore
    sweat pants or plain old gym shorts and the saddle was fine.

    You seem to want to try a saddle like the Bell, do it, it will be a
    learning experience. A relatively inexpensive one. Just wait until you
    get the urge to try the various Selle Italia, at $75 and up.

    One other place to look for saddles, both new and used is Ebay. I have
    bought 4 Selle Italia Prolinks used on Ebay. I have got some very good
    deals.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    "Brian Wax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > Wally World = no good! You are and have already received lots of advice.
    > However, a saddle generally will not feel good out the box. Your back side
    > will most likely protest a bit. I now ride on the Selle Italia Flite Trans
    > Am. To me it is the best. Padding can be very misleading. You should rely

    on
    > a chamois in your shorts.
    >
    > I have a few different saddles laying around. Tell me the application

    (type
    > of bike) and I will see what I have. If I have something appropriate, we

    can
    > work something out if you are interested.
    >
    > Brian

    I KNOW Wally - World=No Good! That is why I have not rushed to buy one from
    there! I would prefer to get on online, because dealing with the local bike
    shop can be more of a pain than riding on my steel saddle that I am
    currently riding. The bike I am looking for a saddle for is an old road
    bike, I plan on riding around town, and maybe some light touring. I don't
    want to put a high dollar saddle on it, but would like it to be comfortable
    enough to ride 20 - 30 miles a day without the need for padded cycling pants
    / shorts.

    Ken