What would you do? (assaulted while Cycling)

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by knonfs, Aug 8, 2007.

1. knonfs

knonfs New Member

I wasn't really assaulted, but I let you be the judge...

There is a bike\running trail close to where I live; this trail runs parallel to a 2 lane (each way) parkway. On my rest days, I normally ride on the trail; however on my interval days, I ride on the street\parkway, mostly to avoid the runners\walkers\"Sunday bike riders"\dog on a leash, etc.

Today was an interval day, and everything was fine; until I was on my way back home, about 5 miles left to go. I am riding on the right lane of the street\parkway, about 6 inches to the left of the white line (there is absolutely nothing to the right of that line, except for grass & trees).

Well, to the point, this car pass me by REALLY REALLY close, to the point were there was less than 1ft between the car and myself. As soon as the car passed me by, the driver SLAMS on the brakes (locking the wheels up), opens the driver door, gets off with his left fist in the air while yelling obscenities (get on the F#$&ing trail, among others), and running towards me. Here is the kicker; the car was an unmarked police car, dark window tints, CB antenna on the trunk, and a nice Police Interceptor badge on the right side of the trunk.

All of this happened in a matter of seconds, and the only thing I could think of was yelled "Are you a cop, are you a cop?" (the person was wearing civilian cloth). As soon as he heard that, he quickly turned around, got on his car and hauled ass!

I was so freaking upset, that I pushed the 53X17 (I know, I should've done 53X11, but it was a hill; and I don't have what it takes :eek: :p ) all the way to the top and caught him at a stop sign (at the top of the hill, there is an intersection, with a 4 way stop signs), and got his tag number.

While riding back home, after this whole incident; I end up finding a cop that pulled over a citizen. I waited till he was done, and approached him with a couple of questions. The cop starts asking me what happened, and once I spilled the beans; the cop asks me what the offender in the unmarked car looked like, followed by a let me get your full name, phone number, and address; mind you that the cop never asked me for the tag number.

My mind went blank, and I felt a sudden sense of fear running through my veins. I honestly felt like if this cop knew the offender, so I played out the whole situation, and told the cop that I would go the station and report the whole situation.

So, what would you do? Would you report it? Knowing that they will probably cover each other, and that I live in the area; and "they" might start harassing me and my family.

I am tired of abusive people, especially those that have the power; but then again, I fell hopeless and defenseless :(

Tags:

2. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Wow, that's freakin' nuts.

I probably would've bailed on the patrolman as well, but would attempt to give a call to the station and talk to someone ABOVE the maniac cop.

It's pretty amazing that a COP doesn't know that bikes have equal rights on the road. After this, I don't know that I'd carry pepper spray or anything, but I might consider carrying a camcorder in case Officer Hitler decides to show up and flex his muscles again.

3. fleshbroiler

fleshbroiler New Member

That sucks! We have so many different police departments in my area its crazy. Local, municipal, county, state and federal. I have several friends scattered across most of these and I know there are professionals at every level, but I suspect that there are people that have slipped through the psych screening throughout these as well. I think there are fewer instances of unprofessional officers in the departments that are more selective. I would not have filed a complaint within the officer's department, but gone a level higher if possible.

-fb

4. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Fellas,

Thanks for the words!

I must admit that I am SCARED; I just can't trust them as a "family". I am not saying that all of them are bad people, just a few here and there. I have come to the conclusion, that by filing a complaint, I won't get anything out it; and it is possible that I get in deep s#it if I report him.

Be careful out there guys!

5. roadburn

roadburn New Member

You should report him and do it soon! Maybe he wasn't a cop after all. There are wannabe's out there, you know. If he wasn't a real cop he could be endangering other people's lives and needs to be taken off of the streets.

6. Piotr

Piotr New Member

The only thing that may work in cases of abuse of power is the media. They may not want to pursue this either unless you know someone and it's a slow news day.

7. willocrew

willocrew New Member

mind if I ask which country this happened in?

8. ilmooz

ilmooz New Member

Law enforcement vehicles that are retired by departments are often auctioned off publicly, and most of the time when I see these cars around they have all police markings removed but accessory items like spotlights, antennas, "Interceptor" badges, etc., are still intact. These cars are often bought by people who don't have a problem impersonating the police and will keep them looking "authentic" to help them do so.

Report the incident to the police. If a real cop did this to you it's uncalled for. If it's not a real cop, believe me when I say the police will investigate it. Police impersonators are more common than people might think and are highly despised by police for the very reason here in this thread - lots of people upset and blaming real police for something that sounds likely to have been committed by some random nut.

9. Lionfish

Lionfish New Member

I'd report it to a Cap'n. (not crunch)

10. fujibike

fujibike New Member

Tough situation. If he's a cop he may use his 'authority' to make life miserable if you were to report it. But then having reported it puts him on the radar. Not reporting it he may actually do someone serious harm someday.

11. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Oh no he was a cop\officer!

Dark window tints, however at a close distance the indoor "flashing\strobe" lights were visible :(

12. knonfs

knonfs New Member

I don't want that kind of attenion to myself, besides I ride in that area 3-4 times a week, and the last thing I want is an angry officer looking for revenge while I am ridding :(

13. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Virginia, USA

14. knonfs

knonfs New Member

What you are saying is true, however this one had the "indoors flashing lights\strobes" :eek:

15. knonfs

knonfs New Member

I figured that he will feel like he won a battle, like if he was on top; if we ever cross each other on the road (and hopefully laughed at me, and keeps going).

BTW - I am not saying by any means that all cops\officers are bad; just one or two.