what would you want on a bike computer?

tribiker

Sep 30, 2002
The best bike computer would have what on it ? if you were designing a new<br />bike computer what would you want it to do? <br /><br />

My Flightdeck's got almost everything I want. I would just like to replace the gear ratio with a backlight for eraly morning and add an altimeter.

Sorry, did not read the subject properly. You want to know the ultimate computer and not what we would like changed on our current comps.<br /><br />My ultimate computer must be cordless and have all the usual stuff like speed, total distance, trip distance, ave. speed, max speed. Maybe a second trip distance to measure a certain section of a road (Mitty 3). CADENCE!!! preferably virtual so that you don't have wires running down your down tube. Gear indicators. How about a warning so that you don't ride in the wrong gear for instance small-small or big-big. Buttons integrated into shifters. Maybe a back light and altimeter like I've already mentioned.<br /><br />Here's something very sci-fi. How about the display integrated into your specs and you switch it on as you require it.<br /><br />How about you can pre-program it so that you get a warning of a hill coming up or it remembers all the detail from the same race a previous time.<br /><br />Damn, I'm reading to many sci-f novels. I need to get on the bike more.

[quote author=Mampara link=board=20;threadid=2489;start=0#21372 date=1033468498]<br />Sorry, did not read the subject properly. You want to know the ultimate computer and not what we would like changed on our current comps.<br /><br />My ultimate computer must be cordless and have all the usual stuff like speed, total distance, trip distance, ave. speed, max speed. Maybe a second trip distance to measure a certain section of a road (Mitty 3). CADENCE!!! preferably virtual so that you don't have wires running down your down tube. Gear indicators. How about a warning so that you don't ride in the wrong gear for instance small-small or big-big. Buttons integrated into shifters. Maybe a back light and altimeter like I've already mentioned.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Wells thats a few features the polar 710 doesnt have.......The thing i find most usful is being able to record data during the ride and upload it to the computer, that would be worth adding to your wish list Mampara ;)

Thats what I want to know! all the little &quot;I wish it did....&quot; <br />I started just wanting a computer that had a large read out, and showed speed, candance, heart rate ect all at once. I got talking to a guy who could build it, then thought why not find out what every one else wants and try to build it in. <br /><br />Cheers

[quote author=Vo2 link=board=20;threadid=2489;start=0#21378 date=1033470654]<br />This thread rings a bell. Click here...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />And the following posts on the aus.bicycle news group;<br /><br />I did find the one about use the speed function on your computer for cadence interesting@!<br /><br />The best bike computer would have what on it ?<br />
<br />The best bike computer would have what on it ? if you were designing a new<br />bike computer what would you want it to do?<br />
<br /><br />and<br /><br />is there a data logger type bike computer?<br />
<br />is there a data logger type bike computer? that can be downloaded to a puter<br />for a training diary? or whats just a really good computer for training<br />
<br /><br />and<br /><br />Any cycling computer can be made into a cadence computer <br />
<br />Any one know if this works?<br /><br />Any cycling computer can be made into a cadence computer by mounting the<br />magnet and sensor on the cranks and by setting the wheel size to 1667mm and<br />the readout to km/hr (instead of mph). This is true for any bike, any wheel<br />size. The speed will indicate cadence, such that 9.7 km/hr will be a cadence<br />of 97 rpm.<br /><br />You can thus convert a cheap or damaged cyclocomputer to a cadence meter.<br />You may need to splice some additional wire in to reach the cranks.<br /><br />It works well, is accurate, and fun!<br />
<br /><br />and<br /><br />aussie bike market<br />
<br />Would the aussie bike market be big enough to support a &quot;custom carbon<br />frame&quot; or indeed custom bikes?<br />

There is the need for a decent computer tho....the 710 has no competitors<br /><br />cheers

This is a great little thread, love these flights of fancy. How about a tire pressure alarm (if we're going mad). Tells you just those few seconds earlier if a puncture is coming (Ok, pretty meaningless I guess). The power sensors sound like a nice feature in the S710 though. Damn, can't think of anything more at the mo

[quote author=Rhodent link=board=20;threadid=2489;start=0#21422 date=1033553134]<br />The power sensors sound like a nice feature in the S710 though.[/quote]<br />They look pretty messy though....

beam up food from my house onto my bike so i dont have to stop. probably have to wait a few years for that :)

My perfect cyclecomputer would be some sort of mix between a Polar S710 and a Flight Deck/Ergobrain: something with the S710's features that can be controlled from the shifters, and can also display/record gear information for the ride.<br /><br />If it's going to take the form of a watch, a half decent bike mount wouldn't be bad too -- the one that came with my S710 is pretty crappy (but it gets the job done I guess.) A more responsive data refresh rate for the LCD would be nice too.<br /><br />Some sort of way to keep the display lit for extended periods at night (a small &amp; lightweight optional external battery-pack or something?)<br /><br />And to finish it off, it all to be connected using a spread-spectrum wireless system, so it isn't affected by power line interference etc. ;D<br /><br />I don't ask for much do I! ;)

I agree the 710 has got pretty much everything you need. The software is pretty crappy though.<br /><br />It would be nice if:<br /><br />1. It could read and store the heart rate recovery functions<br />2. Could store more than 5 graphs<br />3. Update your weight in the watch's user settings from the daily inputs<br />4. Could perform mathematical functions (like devide calories with time) and the graph them.<br /><br /><br />Come on Polar you can do it.<br /><br />Leon

How about stealing some technology from Timex and make it a GPS system without magnets and sensors.

Start off with the basic functionality of the Flightdeck (integrated buttons in the hoods, gear indicators etc.) Add wireless -real- cadence, wireless rear wheel speed sensor. Configurable LCD display like the Cateye OS, built-in HRM. Add data download capability with configurable output so you can import the data into whatever training/tracking program you choose.

I'm testing a cycling data logger at the moment... It logs speed, cadence, distance, avg speed, avg cadence, altitude, etc every 2 seconds for up to 18 hours. Download the data to your PC at the end of the ride and graph the results, email to a friend, etc. It's at prototype stage at the moment, but won't be long before it's on the market...

hmmm....

what i want?
1. I want a bright full color display...
2. I want a light sensitive backlight. The computer should automatically turn on when its dark.--assuming #1 is not possible.
3. I want GPS. Comes Standard with almost all SUVs these days.
4. Hey, since we are at it, a security system...
5. A Data Bank, and A direct link to any computer
6. Bluetooth would be nice.. MP3, Radio -- I ride to relax.
7. And get it free. haha!

Is it possible to fit a whole laptop into a small cyclo computer? if it is, i would like that..... dream on...................

Gerald, I assume that cyclingforums members get a special discount? Or do I assume wrong?

VO2,
Gerald, I assume that cyclingforums members get a special discount?
See point #7 on dexmax's reply, thats the most important item on all the lists I've seen till now! :D :D