What Year did you start riding ?(roughly)

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by cfsmtb, Feb 15, 2004.

1. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

I really enjoyed the poll about what age people started cycling, now I'm curious to roughly what years people started, ie: 1960-65 etc and what type of bike, ie: kids bike, early BMX, 70's roadie etc.

I commenced cycling, well, wobbling to be more precise, in about 1972 on a little pink kids trike with a tray for toys between the rear wheels. Kinda grown up a tad since, sorta...:D

Tags:

2. davebee

davebee New Member

Interesting topic. I started riding when I was about 6 so I guess being born in 84 I would have started cycling around 88-89. My first bike was a single speed jobby with a rack and a white plastic box thing for toys. I think I always used to put freshly mown grass from the local park in it! I think I had a BMX at some point for a couple of years when I was still really young (under12) so I didn't really use it for tricks. More of a kids BMX than a serious one.

Then I went through a phase of second hand mtb's but didnt really understand them until about 1997-98. I got my Dawes Galaxy when I was 17 so that would have been 01, and I guess that was when I became really serious about cycling.

I am currently wheeling and dealing to upgrade a 7spd mtb into a quality piece of kit.

Sorry to bore the a**e of you all! :)

3. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

Just about 8 months ago, and I can't imagine what I was doing with all my free time (and money:D) before I started riding.

4. Bikesoiler

Bikesoiler New Member

Circa early seventies.
    Several trikes, then a gold dragster with banana seat & ape hangers. :cool:
    Closely followed by a 24" road bike with flat bars & coaster brake , pre dating singlespeed MTB's by 20 years but ridden just like one. :)

5. JohnO

JohnO New Member

It's interesting to look at the results - pretty even distribution. I started in the 68-71 time frame, on a gold Western Flyer, banana seat and all. We weren't filthy rich, so I didn't get an Apple Krate - that's what all the kids wanted at the time.

6. Nitromike

Nitromike New Member

First time ever on a bike was in 1974 on a friends Schwinn with no seat, no training wheels, just got on and crashed til I could ride. First thing I did was ride down the road and show my parents. The next weekend I got my own bike. A Junior Stingray just like the red one in this pic

http://www.geocities.com/sldbconsumer2/1974/74ccpg35.jpg

I was 4.

7. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Hmm, no takers yet for the years 1983/86, 1989/92 or pre 1962.....was either the fox trot or vert and street style skating more fashionable in those years? Discuss.

8. amorevelo

amorevelo New Member

I started terrorizing the neighborhood on my big wheel when I was 4 (1985) soon thereafter my parents thought that I needed to start riding a "real" bike, an old bmx with Winnebago stickers all over it. 3 years later I started racing. I can't imagine living without those two wheels.

9. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Still no takers for 1989 - 1992?

Was it the horrid late 80's fluro lycra that put potential cyclists off?

I wouldn't know really, I was a goth at the time. :D

10. mikeg

mikeg New Member

I started in 1969/1970 when I bought a rebuilt 28" wheel, 22" frame bike 3 speed Sturmey Archer Hub gears, with what they called then skid bar handle bars, at the age of 13. After some recent research I believe it may have been a Speedwell Roadster style. It was definitely not a road bike.

Stopped riding in the 1980's except for ultra short trips to shops at lunch time while I lived in Leeton NSW in 1983 to 1986. Lent the bike to a co-worker in Leeton who was without transport, and got it back in 1990. It then sat in the shed/garage till now.

Started riding again December 2002 when I bought an entry level Apollo MTB, and have put over 2700 kms on it in the last 12 months.

Mike

11. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Evel Knievel big wheel circa 76...78 I rode my new BMX down the street on Christmas day in my underware...waving the .22 rifle I also got-
    It was a good day

12. moonfroggy

moonfroggy New Member

i started 2001 not counting the bike i had for a few monthes when i was a kid, my bike is a hybrid but i want a road bike, i don't have any money right now so i will just keep riding my hybrid, it is a nice bike and i like it a lot, but when i go on longer rides 30+ miles my arms get really tired

13. Mart

Mart New Member

I started racing bmx in the late 1970s through to the early 80s, it ruled the world then (my world anyway).
    After that I gained an interest in road cycling, my best mates dad, who used to take us all over the country to race bmx, was a keen roadie and he influenced me a lot - thanks - anyway I've been a roadie ever since, but still get excieted about old school bmx stuff especially SE racing.

I don't think I'll ever stop - nothing beats rolling on two wheels - nothing I've found yet anyway.

14. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

i first started cycling competitivley around 87, but i first threw a leg over a bike back in 78, when i was 3, no stabilisers, my dad didn't believe in them.
    my dad is a firm believer in the saying, "you'll learn from your mistakes", and still is to this day. :)

15. wyllisx2

wyllisx2 New Member

I kind of remember riding a tricycle when I was 3 in 66. That is I remember seeing pictures of me on it. Then came the plastic Bigwheels. Those were the greatest things of all time. Since I grew up in low-income housing for recent veterans (now they're called the projects) I had to share with mine with my 2 brothers. Surprisingly the most often stolen thing on our street was the big wheels.

When I was 5 I inherited my older sisters 2 wheeler with traing wheels. I DO remember the day I got the training wheels off. Then shortly after that riding as fast around my yard as I could so I could skid the rear wheel out on the grass. My dad hated when we did this. Man that was fun.

Soon after that I got my big brothers 2 wheeled Huffy with a banana seat. That was 2nd the coolest thing there was. Sissy bars on the back were the absolute coolest seat. Every kid HAD to have the banana seat.

I actually think about this stuff while I'm out riding. Great memories for a 41 year old.

Hmm do you think I could fit a banana seat on my roadie????

16. bannerrefugee

bannerrefugee New Member

I started when I was younger than 10 and rode on and off through high school. I never really was serious with it though. I high school I would just cycle to the beach parties which were a mile or two from my house. In college I started cycling to the train station, then all the way to school. In the early 90’s I got into touring, fast riding, and racing in that order. That is the time I selected on the pole because prior to that I never treated cycling as a sport.

17. hophead

hophead New Member

I got my first bike in the early 70's. I didn't start riding roughly (mountain) until about 3 years ago :D

18. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I have always been riding roughly but hope to get better.

19. jcthomasjr

jcthomasjr New Member

Started riding a road bike in 1989, though I had a bmx bike in the late 70's to early 80's and also a 10 speed during the same time frame but only rode it for fun or with friends. Then, while in college in the late 80's I bought a decent road bike and started riding it considerable distances with the goal of having fun, relieving stress, keeping in shape, and challenging myself in terms of improving my speed, form, and endurance. The rest is history, I have been hooked for the last 15 years or so.

20. Bikerbill98

Bikerbill98 New Member

I lived in a small town in northern New York State in the 50's. I got my first bike when I was 4. No training wheels. I recall pushing off the steps of the front porch several times before mastering the first 50 feet to the corner. After that I couldn't get off my bike. At five I would ride to the next town 4 miles away by myself. How times have changed. I did two solo rides across the USA in the 70's and have toured ever since. I've owned more bikes than cars. I passed the 100,000 mile mark years ago.