Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

What year was this trek made?

Started by Rick · · Last activity · 4 posts · 748 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 May 2003
Last activity
21 May 2003
Original author
Rick
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
748
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all,

    I'm considering buying a used Trek. It has a red frame that reads "2200 Alpha SL". The components
    look to be Shimano 105. The rear wheel is a Campagnola Omega and the front is a Matrix. It says Air
    Rail on the Fork. The seat is a Sella Stratos.

    The asking price is $500, it's not in the best of shape (looks to have been dumped a couple of times
    at least). The seller stated in his ad that the bike is "1 year new".

    Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

    Rick

  2. First of all a disclaimer. I am no expert. But from the sounds of it, the rear wheel was replaced
    from the original. I'd have to wonder why one would do that while keeping the original front wheel.
    A nasty crash perhaps? I don't know how you keep the front wheel though.

    Trek used matrix wheels in the mid-late 90s. 1997 or so would be my estimate if my memory serves me
    correctly. I'd guess the frame is late 90s, early 2000s at the latest 01. A relatively quick and
    easy way to tell is to look at the headset. If it threaded, it is pre 2000, I believe that is when
    trek switched. If it is not threaded, most likely newer. Anyhow good luck, I would definitely have
    the frame looked over, if it appears to be taken down, there may be structural defects.

    David

    "Rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    I'm considering buying a used Trek. It has a red frame that reads "2200 Alpha SL". The components
    look to be Shimano 105. The rear wheel is a Campagnola Omega and the front is a Matrix. It says
    Air Rail on the Fork. The seat is a Sella Stratos.

    The asking price is $500, it's not in the best of shape (looks to


    have

    Quoted message said:

    been dumped a couple of times at least). The seller stated in his


    ad

    Quoted message said:

    that the bike is "1 year new".

    Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

    Rick

  3. Quoted message said:

    First of all a disclaimer. I am no expert. But from the sounds of it, the rear wheel was replaced
    from the original. I'd have to wonder why one would do that while keeping the original front wheel.

    Front wheels often last much longer than rear wheels because the loads are less and there is no
    dish. Another reason is that it is often possible to lift the front over an obstacle at the last
    moment, the rear sometimes takes a bigger hit.

    But for whatever reason, wheels rarely wear out/die at the same time so having a different wheels
    front and rear is pretty normal for older bikes.

    jon isaacs

  4. (Jon Isaacs) said:
    Quoted message said:

    First of all a disclaimer. I am no expert. But from the sounds of it, the rear wheel was
    replaced from the original. I'd have to wonder why one would do that while keeping the original
    front wheel.

    I have lost many rear wheels. All it takes is a good-sized pothole or a sewer grating, and a rider
    180 lbs or larger. The heat treated rims were the first on the part of manufacturers to make fragile
    disposible wheels. Once bent, a hard-anodized rim can seldom be straightened to perfection through
    trueing. I went through two of those.

    now i only buy 36H non-heat treated silver rims, and i haven't bought many lately!!!!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.