What your Maximum Distance in a day?

howierart

Mar 10, 2005
My favourite personal cycling challenge ever since I was a teenager is beating my maximum distance for a days cycling. Some wonderful things happen to you in those long hours on the bike, and oddly I often find that my best form of the day is in the final third of the ride! Ive my mileage increase over the years and remeber the absolute joy of my first century (miles) two years ago. Now my personal best is 125 miles though im hoping to top that in the next couple of weeks. Ive even hope aged 27 that in the next few years ill attempt a 200 mile day, though I suspect this will take alot of planning and carfeul training/preperation. Anyhow id be interested to know what other peoples honest maximu daily distances have been, how they fueled themselves and how they train for them.

howierart said:
My favourite personal cycling challenge ever since I was a teenager is beating my maximum distance for a days cycling. Some wonderful things happen to you in those long hours on the bike, and oddly I often find that my best form of the day is in the final third of the ride! Ive my mileage increase over the years and remeber the absolute joy of my first century (miles) two years ago. Now my personal best is 125 miles though im hoping to top that in the next couple of weeks. Ive even hope aged 27 that in the next few years ill attempt a 200 mile day, though I suspect this will take alot of planning and carfeul training/preperation. Anyhow id be interested to know what other peoples honest maximu daily distances have been, how they fueled themselves and how they train for them.
But what was your AVERAGE SPEED for the 125 miles?
Muhuhahahaha!!!

130 km.

Not far, I know.

It was unplanned: I cycled up to watch my fiancée in a rowing regatta at a remote lake. I didn't really know how far away the lake was (foolish, I know); it turned out to be 65 km, on top of a mountain.

First thing I did was hit the corner store, and buy the two closest items to the cashier, which turned out to be Doritos and a mars bar (ka3 crucify me now...hey, they were 'raw' to me).

~Stallionforce
[font=&quot] [/font]

After this weekends cycling training camp, 149 km, avg speed was 31.5 km/hr (19.5 mph), temp 7-9 degrees C, sunny. I got tired at 149 km and couldn't keep up with the 8 man group and since I've ridden 60 km at the most in one go I was picked up by the team van for the remaining 14 km. A pretty big hill (the biggest one of the ride) at about km 135 killed me. Right now it hurts a bit to walk. Yesterday we rode 50 km at about 30 km/hr with light to heavy rain at 3 Celsius. Pretty much everybody's feet and hands started to freeze up.

-Bikeguy

Longest day in the saddle was 217 kms at an average of 30km/ph. Did have a ferry trip across the mouth of the bay in the middle to break the day up. Was part of the "Round the Bay in a Day' in Melbourne.

Also done a couple of the Lake Taupo Challenge in NZ which is 160kms.

"only" 130km

might sound like a lot, but not really for someone who's been riding for about 18 years

209 miles (double century). That one had plenty of climbing (around 13,000 feet), but a 206 miler, 18-20,000 feet of climbing was far tougher.

215km, averaging 30kph, solo ride from Newcastle to Sydney, with a train trip and food before riding 90km home.

I bonked on the way home :mad:, and I should try it again.

When I was 15, a friend and I decided to cycle from London to West Wales,
1st day - 130 miles
2nd day - 160 miles....this day was pure uncensored hell mainly because the road was soooo horrible, from Bath to Camarthan its just dual carraigeway that just goes on and on and on and......and always seeming to be on an eternal incline

we stayed for 2 nights with relatives and then headed home. Again it took us 2 days but this time we went through the Brecon Beacons, nice n scenic, and felt pretty good for most of it. God I was superfit then, unfortunately a couple of months later I started Art College and started smoking....quit 12 years later!

howierart said:
Ive even hope aged 27 that in the next few years ill attempt a 200 mile day, though I suspect this will take alot of planning and carfeul training/preperation. Anyhow id be interested to know what other peoples honest maximu daily distances have been, how they fueled themselves and how they train for them.
There's an event around here, Seattle, called the STP, Seattle to Portland which is 200 miles and you can ride it in one day or two. They have some pretty good training tips http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/pdf/stptrainingtips2005.pdf if you are interested.
I've never done it in one day. About 120 miles is probably the most I've covered in a day. An orgainized ride like this helps with long distances. You don't have to worry about food or water, they provide it and group riding can take some of the pressure off.

most I have done is 200 miles at an avg speed of 16mph. Solo into a stiff headwind all day. Stopped at gas stations for water and ate gu and cliff bars every 45 mintues. Though vary your food because I now throw up at the sight of a cookies and cream cliff bar. Was easy until the last 10 miles, those were hell.

This past Sunday, Bike Across Florida, 139 miles, 18.1 avg speed.

Not that it is much compared to other posts, but I am proud as prior to it my longest was 54 miles.

A tip that I got before the ride was to take 2-3 endurolytes (or comparable) pills before the ride and 2-3 at the halfway point to prevent cramping. I did and I didn't cramp until about 130 miles and even then it wasn't that bad.

We have a yearly ride in Indiana called RAIN, Ride Across Indiana and it is 162 miles. I did it at an average speed of 22 mph. I hung with the lead group and sucked wheel for the first 120 miles before I was on my own. There is no way I could have averaged that pace solo for that long.

I've recently done rides of 230, 250 and 290km but as it's winter here I have to start in the dark and finish in the dark so I don't think I'll go higher until there is more light.

With the exception of the the 230 ride, they were done solo on dead roads.

I found milk helps my body to locate a secondary energy supply. Not sure if it prompts me to burn fat or protein and many can't stomach milk during a long ride, but it works for me.

howierart said:
140 mi., twice.
Don't ask me specifics on training...I am a relative newbie on a bike, but trained at the direction of friends who are serious about the bike.....I did a minimum of 45 min. a day during the week and a little longer on Sundays. All this was on the trainer in my office/bonus room upstairs as I have 3 girls not yet 5 years old and my wife works nights....Saturday was my longer day on the bike. Typically 50-60 miles, always solo. This was for 3-4 months. The actual 140 mi. ride was a group ride.....Lots of water, gatorade, bananas, fresh oranges, powergel, and m&m's....oh, and one sub along the way....

150kms, which was the "beactive" tour ride here in Adelaide. Followed stage 2 of the tour down under with lots of rest stops and free bananas/powerade and about 1600 other cyclists for company. I finished just managing an average of 25 kph, but with at least an hours worth of rest stops along the way!

My training mainly consisted of usual commuting (about 10km each way) along with one or two rides a week of about 40-50kms and one ride a week that gradually increased each week starting at around 40kms and working up to 110kms. I was training with a friend of mine who hadnt cycled in a very long time and he managed with about 8 weeks of training in this fashion. He is one of those freaky people who can pick up any sport and be good at it very quickly though.

Some friends and I normally try to do one long day a week. We usually try to target for about 120+ miles.