Whatever happened to...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nelson Binch, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    ...anodized alloy goodies?

    Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including chainring bolts) and other
    assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your bike. Now they're hard to find, even on eBay!

    Must...have...red...chi chi...

    ...make...bike...go...faster!!!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    >
    > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including chainring bolts) and
    > other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your bike. Now they're hard to find,
    > even on eBay!
    >
    > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    >
    > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!

    So, how long before you buy a set of those red LED valve cover things? Now that would be a
    conversation piece on a night ride. ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    >
    > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including
    chainring
    > bolts) and other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your
    bike.
    > Now they're hard to find, even on eBay!
    >
    > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    >
    > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!

    I guess impressionable people don't want light bikes anymore.

    Andy Chequer, Ducking to avoid the swinging fickle nature of fashion.

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    | >
    | > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including
    | chainring
    | > bolts) and other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your
    | bike.
    | > Now they're hard to find, even on eBay!
    | >
    | > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    | >
    | > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!
    |
    | I guess impressionable people don't want light bikes anymore.

    Light doesn't matter in this case. If they could make color anodized steel parts I'd take them. I
    just like color!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  5. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:57:42 -0400, Nelson Binch did issue forth:

    > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    >
    > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including chainring bolts) and
    > other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your bike. Now they're hard to find,
    > even on eBay!
    >
    > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    >
    > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!

    My LBS has a huge jar full of stuff like that. That's how I discovered that combining aluminium
    bolts with ceramic bushed jockey wheels was a Bad Thing.

    Huw "Pretty colours" Pritchard

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Jon Bond
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > I'm actually probably going to buy some red alloy water bottle bolts (to replace the white nylon
    > ones that came with the blur - saving some money, SC?).

    My Heckler came with those nylon bolts in '97 so probably not.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    > >
    > > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including
    > chainring
    > > bolts) and other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your
    > bike.
    > > Now they're hard to find, even on eBay!
    > >
    > > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    > >
    > > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!
    >
    > I have a set of red anno crank bolts, still in the unopened packaging. I have been saving them for
    > a special occasion. I wonder what they're
    worth...

    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I'll send you an empty IBC root beer bottle and 2 $20 gift certificates to Performance bike for 'em.

    Jon Bond
    note: gift certificates might be used already ;)

  8. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    | >
    | > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including
    | chainring
    | > bolts) and other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your
    | bike.
    | > Now they're hard to find, even on eBay!
    | >
    | > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    | >
    | > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!
    |
    | I have a set of red anno crank bolts, still in the unopened packaging. I have been saving them for
    | a special occasion. I wonder what they're
    worth...

    Solid alloy or steel with a pressed on alloy dustcap?

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  9. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    | On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:57:42 -0400, Nelson Binch did issue forth:
    |
    | > ...anodized alloy goodies?
    | >
    | > Used to be you could find pulley wheels, assorted bolts (including chainring bolts) and
    | > other assorted knickknacks, gadgets and doolollies for your bike. Now they're hard to find,
    | > even on eBay!
    | >
    | > Must...have...red...chi chi...
    | >
    | > ...make...bike...go...faster!!!
    |
    | My LBS has a huge jar full of stuff like that. That's how I discovered that combining aluminium
    | bolts with ceramic bushed jockey wheels was a Bad Thing.
    |
    | Huw "Pretty colours" Pritchard

    That's interesting. A ceramic bushing in good shape isn't supposed to turn on the bolt. Granted, I
    clean mine every now and then, taking care to remove all dirt and grease from the ceramic bits and
    re-lubing them with dry graphite (neat trick is to use a sharp pencil on all the places ceramic
    touches ceramic.) Needless to say, I've never had a problem (every one of my bikes has an XT ceramic
    bushing pulley in the top position and half of them - including my MTB - have alloy bolts.)

    Maybe you've got to be a maintainer nut to use them.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  10. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

  11. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | | I have a set of red anno crank bolts, still in the unopened packaging. I have been saving them
    | | for a special occasion. I wonder what they're
    | worth...
    |
    | Solid alloy or steel with a pressed on alloy dustcap?

    The one I hate I missed was the type with the chrome 8mm steel bolt and a threaded dustcap with the
    two holes to use with a Shimano chainring bolt tool.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > The one I hate I missed was the type with the chrome 8mm steel bolt and a threaded dustcap with
    > the two holes to use with a Shimano chainring bolt tool.

    http://www.middleburn.co.uk/crankbolts.htm

  13. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Nelson Binch wrote:
    |
    | > The one I hate I missed was the type with the chrome 8mm steel bolt and
    | > threaded dustcap with the two holes to use with a Shimano chainring bolt tool.
    |
    | http://www.middleburn.co.uk/crankbolts.htm

    Those things look fantastic. Too bad I've never seen them in the US.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > | http://www.middleburn.co.uk/crankbolts.htm
    > |

    > Those things look fantastic. Too bad I've never seen them in the US.

    You won't have done. They're one of those quirky English engineering companies that bring out top
    drawer stuff (their cranks and rings are some of the best in the world). Send them a mail, they're
    small enough that they might well help someone on the other side of the world who's drooling over
    their products. And, at the end of the day, how much does it cost to ship crank bolts?

  15. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

  16. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    Nelson did say:

    > Light doesn't matter in this case. If they could make color anodized
    steel
    > parts I'd take them. I just like color!

    I kind of circumvented this issue by having an anodised red frameset - this makes the bike as
    a whole as anodised as you could ever want it to be, thus negating the need for further
    anodised trinkets.

    Andy Chequer

  17. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Nelson did say:
    |
    | > Light doesn't matter in this case. If they could make color anodized
    | steel
    | > parts I'd take them. I just like color!
    |
    | I kind of circumvented this issue by having an anodised red frameset -
    this
    | makes the bike as a whole as anodised as you could ever want it to be,
    thus
    | negating the need for further anodised trinkets.
    |
    | Andy Chequer

    Despite the fact I Looooooooove red bikes, most of mine have dark colored frames with colored bits
    as highlights. Things that don't carry a load, like crank dustcaps and headset spacers, etc.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003