Whatever Happened to:

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, May 1, 2006.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Erik Breukink?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

  3. benjo maso

    benjo maso Guest

    > Erik Breukink?

    Breukink was one of the most gifted cyclists of his
    generation.Unfortunately, after the PDM-scandal he promised his fiancée
    never to take doping again and faded quickly into anonimity. He is now team
    manager of the Rabobank team.

    Benjo

  4. benjo maso wrote:
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Erik Breukink?

    > Breukink was one of the most gifted cyclists of his
    > generation.Unfortunately, after the PDM-scandal he promised his fiancée
    > never to take doping again and faded quickly into anonimity. He is now team
    > manager of the Rabobank team.
    >
    > Benjo

    Didn't he have some success with Once? So are your trying to say he was
    clean those years?

    RVD

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    benjo maso wrote:
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Erik Breukink?

    > Breukink was one of the most gifted cyclists of his
    > generation.Unfortunately, after the PDM-scandal he promised his fiancée
    > never to take doping again and faded quickly into anonimity. He is now
    > team
    > manager of the Rabobank team.
    >
    > Benjo

    Didn't he have some success with Once? So are your trying to say he was
    clean those years?

    RVD

    Some, but not much.
    No wins in 1991, 1992 and 1994. World Champion ITT 1996. Vuelta, 2nd place
    1993. Tour 8th place 1994.

  6. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Didn't he have some success with Once? So are your trying to say he was
    > clean those years?
    >
    > RVD
    >
    > Some, but not much.
    > No wins in 1991, 1992 and 1994. World Champion ITT 1996. Vuelta, 2nd place
    > 1993. Tour 8th place 1994.

    Given what was taking place in the sport at that time, it would
    have taken a very gifted cyclist to have achieved that level of
    success while clean.

    Bob Schwartz

  7. benjo maso

    benjo maso Guest

    > "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > benjo maso wrote:
    >> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Erik Breukink?

    >> Breukink was one of the most gifted cyclists of his
    >> generation.Unfortunately, after the PDM-scandal he promised his fiancée
    >> never to take doping again and faded quickly into anonimity. He is now
    >> team
    >> manager of the Rabobank team.
    >>
    >> Benjo

    > Didn't he have some success with Once? So are your trying to say he was
    > clean those years?
    >
    > RVD
    >
    > Some, but not much.
    > No wins in 1991, 1992 and 1994. World Champion ITT 1996. Vuelta, 2nd
    > place 1993. Tour 8th place 1994.

    That's not quite correct. In 1991 (the year of the PDM scandal) he won the
    Tour Dupont and the Grand Prix Eddie Merckx (TT), in 1992 the Giro del
    Piemonte and finished 7th in the Tour; in 1993, 7th (not 2nd) in the Vuelta
    and first in the Criterium International , in 1994 no wins and 29th (not
    8th) in the Tour. And he didn't win the world championhip ITT in 1996 (he
    didn't even participate), but 17th in the ITT of the Olympic Games. Rather
    poor results for a man like he, but, yes, he was "clean".

    Benjo

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> benjo maso wrote:
    >>> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>

    >>> Breukink was one of the most gifted cyclists of his
    >>> generation.Unfortunately, after the PDM-scandal he promised his fiancée
    >>> never to take doping again and faded quickly into anonimity. He is now
    >>> team
    >>> manager of the Rabobank team.
    >>>
    >>> Benjo

    >> Didn't he have some success with Once? So are your trying to say he was
    >> clean those years?
    >>
    >> RVD
    >>
    >> Some, but not much.
    >> No wins in 1991, 1992 and 1994. World Champion ITT 1996. Vuelta, 2nd
    >> place 1993. Tour 8th place 1994.
    >>

    > That's not quite correct. In 1991 (the year of the PDM scandal) he won the
    > Tour Dupont and the Grand Prix Eddie Merckx (TT), in 1992 the Giro del
    > Piemonte and finished 7th in the Tour; in 1993, 7th (not 2nd) in the
    > Vuelta and first in the Criterium International , in 1994 no wins and 29th
    > (not 8th) in the Tour. And he didn't win the world championhip ITT in 1996
    > (he didn't even participate), but 17th in the ITT of the Olympic Games.
    > Rather poor results for a man like he, but, yes, he was "clean".
    >
    > Benjo

    Right you are. I had a Senior moment and posted Zulle's record. :)

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    In the Tour DuPont Erik looked like a cycling God. I'm quite happy to
    know that he did most of his riding clean.