what're the best budget no-flats tyres?

AP

Guest
ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
that makes a difference.

AP wrote:
> ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
> that makes a difference.

try Michelin Transworld City
iain

AP wrote:
> ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
> that makes a difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schwalbe Marathon Plus
(don't forget the Plus).
They may be a bit heavy, but they'll fart in the general direction of
all the broken glass and nails on the mean city streets.

"AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
> that makes a difference.

I like my Schwalbe Blizzards (700x23). Are you talking road or MTB?

Hi

Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that the
Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy and not
terribly grippy. They're also £25 apiece, give or take. Which seems to be
about twice the price of, eg, the Michelin Transworld City. (Would they last
longer? How would wet/dry grip compare with a bog-standard tyre?) To answer
your question tho' (and sorry - I should've said) - road: 700 x 23. Thanks
again.
"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather,
>> if
>> that makes a difference.

> I like my Schwalbe Blizzards (700x23). Are you talking road or MTB?

"AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
> lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that the
> Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy and not
> terribly grippy. They're also £25 apiece, give or take. Which seems to be
> about twice the price of, eg, the Michelin Transworld City. (Would they
> last longer? How would wet/dry grip compare with a bog-standard tyre?) To
> answer your question tho' (and sorry - I should've said) - road: 700 x 23.
> Thanks again.
> "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather,
>>> if
>>> that makes a difference.

<snip><snip>

If I say it very quietly -- I have been running, on road 98% of the time,
with Marathon Plus for over 5000 miles without a visit from the p*nct*re
fairy.

I have had one self inflicted puncture, in 2006, after replacing a broken
spoke and retruing the wheel -- and nipped the tube.

I suppose the only problem with these tyres is that I lose the skill of
swift and easy repair action. However I always carry a repair kit and 2
spare tubes with me at all times!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

That's 'cos the puncture fairy was busy with me - six in the three weeks up
to Christmas - we're talking maybe 250 miles?
"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
>> lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that
>> the Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy
>> and not terribly grippy. They're also £25 apiece, give or take. Which
>> seems to be about twice the price of, eg, the Michelin Transworld City.
>> (Would they last longer? How would wet/dry grip compare with a
>> bog-standard tyre?) To answer your question tho' (and sorry - I should've
>> said) - road: 700 x 23. Thanks again.
>> "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

> <snip><snip>
>
> If I say it very quietly -- I have been running, on road 98% of the time,
> with Marathon Plus for over 5000 miles without a visit from the p*nct*re
> fairy.
>
> I have had one self inflicted puncture, in 2006, after replacing a broken
> spoke and retruing the wheel -- and nipped the tube.
>
> I suppose the only problem with these tyres is that I lose the skill of
> swift and easy repair action. However I always carry a repair kit and 2
> spare tubes with me at all times!
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.
> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Specialized Armadilloes. We've got 4 cyclist in our office on them. 1
puncture in the last year between the 4 of use and that was a huge nail
that ruined the wheel. I just got a new bike in December I asked about
trying another commuting tyre. the guy says nothing comes close.

AP wrote:
> Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
> lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that the
> Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy and not
> terribly grippy.

I'd be sceptical of individual reports of a tyre being 'not terribly grippy'
unless someone has done some kind of vaguely scientific testing. Road
conditions have a large effect on friction, making comparison difficult,
and I doubt anyone pushes their tyres to the point of slipping out often
enough to reliably test grip anyway. If you search hard enough you'll
probably also find lots of other people claiming that the Marathon Plus
grips like a leech.

Anthony