What's a '700c' wheel?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan Paterson, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Hi

    Forgive what I'm sure is a real dumb question, but I haven't ridden for
    years and I just bought a Dawes Warwick tourer - a 'standard' '70s mens
    bike - and I'm really chuffed with it, except for the wheels, which are
    wobbly and pitted. Looking on ebay, a lot of the right-looking wheels seem
    to be described as 700c - would these fit? (The tyres are marked 27" x 1
    1/8".) Thanks a lot.

    Tags:

  2. "Alan Paterson" <[email protected]>typed

    > Hi

    > Forgive what I'm sure is a real dumb question, but I haven't ridden for
    > years and I just bought a Dawes Warwick tourer - a 'standard' '70s mens
    > bike - and I'm really chuffed with it, except for the wheels, which are
    > wobbly and pitted. Looking on ebay, a lot of the right-looking wheels seem
    > to be described as 700c - would these fit? (The tyres are marked 27" x 1
    > 1/8".) Thanks a lot.

    The critical dimension is the 'bead seat diameter' the effective wheel
    diameter at the base of the tyre. This is usually 630mm for a 27 inch
    wheel and 622mm for a 700c wheel.

    The two are not interchangeable, I'm afraid :-(

    You *might* be able to swap wheels *if* you can get the brake blocks to
    move that far.

    You may see all kinds of markings on a tyre sidewall. 27 x 1 1/8 would
    also bear 630-28 for example.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Alan Paterson wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Forgive what I'm sure is a real dumb question, but I haven't ridden
    > for years and I just bought a Dawes Warwick tourer - a 'standard'
    > '70s mens bike - and I'm really chuffed with it, except for the
    > wheels, which are wobbly and pitted. Looking on ebay, a lot of the
    > right-looking wheels seem to be described as 700c - would these fit?
    > (The tyres are marked 27" x 1 1/8".) Thanks a lot.

    Your wheel rims will be 27".

    700c rims are 8mm smaller in diameter than 27 inchers. If it has rim
    brakes, your bike could take 700c rims as long as the brake blocks can be
    lowered by 4mm. Sometimes caliper slots can be filed a bit, sometimes the
    whole brake(s) needs replacing.

    700c tyres don't fit 27" rims.

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

    The rear hub needs to fit the frame (standard modern hubs are wider than
    70s hubs) or else the frame would neeed to be sprung or spread. See:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

    Modern front hubs are bound to be compatible, though occasionally the fork
    dropouts need a little filing to acommodate larger diameter axles.

    Quick-release hubs can be used front and rear.

    ~PB

  4. Alan Paterson wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Forgive what I'm sure is a real dumb question, but I haven't ridden for
    > years and I just bought a Dawes Warwick tourer - a 'standard' '70s mens
    > bike - and I'm really chuffed with it, except for the wheels, which are
    > wobbly and pitted. Looking on ebay, a lot of the right-looking wheels seem
    > to be described as 700c - would these fit? (The tyres are marked 27" x 1
    > 1/8".)

    700c tubes are interchangeable with 27", but rims and tyres aren't. A
    700c rim is 8mm smaller in diameter, you see.

    27" tyres are readily available mail order and, as I've already said,
    tubes are no problem. 27" rims are a little more difficult, but they
    *are* out there if the brakes won't reach a modern 700c rim.

  5. Thanks v much for your responses - v helpful. I now know I *can* use a 700c
    wheel, at least on the front (the brakes will easily go down 4mm), and
    that's by far the worst one. I think |I might stick with the rear at the
    moment - this talk of wider hubs has me all of a quiver!

    Thanks again all.
    "Alan Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    >
    > Forgive what I'm sure is a real dumb question, but I haven't ridden for
    > years and I just bought a Dawes Warwick tourer - a 'standard' '70s mens
    > bike - and I'm really chuffed with it, except for the wheels, which are
    > wobbly and pitted. Looking on ebay, a lot of the right-looking wheels seem
    > to be described as 700c - would these fit? (The tyres are marked 27" x 1
    > 1/8".) Thanks a lot.

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Alan Paterson
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Thanks v much for your responses - v helpful. I now know I *can* use a
    > 700c wheel, at least on the front (the brakes will easily go down
    > 4mm), and that's by far the worst one. I think |I might stick with the
    > rear at the moment - this talk of wider hubs has me all of a quiver!

    You can still get 27" rims, so your friendly local bike shop can quickly
    lace you up a new 27" wheel if you really need one. It will cost a
    little more than a machine made 700C wheel but should be better
    quality.

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"