What's A Common Mistake That You Think Rookie Cyclists Make?

Bark

Aug 21, 2015
I would have to say that I think, when buying their first bike, newbies have trouble finding moderation. They'll either end up spending way too much, or far too little. In that same vein, I think that rookie cyclists will also tend to struggle to find that middle ground when they first start cycling. So, they'll either start off with too large of a route, or too small of a route.

Reactions: AlanManley
Hmm I'd probably say having the wrong set-up on a bike, like having the seat way too low for example.

It's a mistake I made in my early years of cycling and it was one that was kinda hard to break out of.

For me, it was controlling gearing,I would spin like crazy(100+ rpm) on flats on a low gear and not be able to make it uphills due to trying to shift on the hill. I've gotten better at it, but still need to master gear control. Numerous people have told me that I have the physical tools to be a very strong cyclist and will become much better when I master gear controlling and overall handling skills. Another issue I've had was cornering technique.I would have to come to a near compete stop to go around most corners, I would try to steer with the handlebar as opposed to my body. I'm still somewhat a rookie after only 4 months and those whereto of my biggest problems adjusting.

When I started mountain biking the big thing for me was letting go of the fear of falling.
I would get way too into my own head and end up losing my focus and usually bailing. It was too easy to end up hesitating at the last minute and then losing control. It also really held me back as far as bettering my technique because I was too scared to go off drops or try anything out of my comfort zone.
The hardest thing for me to learn was probably just to pick my line and go for it.

sunshiney said:
When I started mountain biking the big thing for me was letting go of the fear of falling.
I would get way too into my own head and end up losing my focus and usually bailing. It was too easy to end up hesitating at the last minute and then losing control. It also really held me back as far as bettering my technique because I was too scared to go off drops or try anything out of my comfort zone.
The hardest thing for me to learn was probably just to pick my line and go for it.
I really relate to this. I've always been a really cautious person, and when I first started mountain biking...It was a really anxious experience for me. I didn't have any physical problems going up hills or through narrow areas, but going back down absolutely ruined me. My first time, I actually ended up walking my bike down the majority of the way, I thought it was too steep and that I would fly over my handlebars.

Bark said:
I would have to say that I think, when buying their first bike, newbies have trouble finding moderation. They'll either end up spending way too much, or far too little. In that same vein, I think that rookie cyclists will also tend to struggle to find that middle ground when they first start cycling. So, they'll either start off with too large of a route, or too small of a route.
Couldn't agree with you more. Most rookie cyclists in my area tend to splash out on the most expensive bikes they can afford. Only to give up on cycling a month or two later after they've figured out that this isn't the sport or hobby for them. The local classifieds are flooded with beautiful and expensive used bikes that have hardly been ridden. The cheap bikes are often bought by school kids who at least ride their bikes on a daily basis.

Definitely think that inexperienced cyclers over do it when they are first starting out. Theres this tendency to think you are going to be really good off the bat. Then reality sets in that cycling isnt as easy as it looks. It can be really hard actually. And its a steady process to build up the stamina and strength to be really good at it.

Thinking they'll become pros.

Besides that, they don't know proper safety and etiquette and thus cause a lot of crashes which damages bikes and body parts; and the knowledge of when to pull and for how long before your spent, along with that learning how to pace oneself. They also fail at proper nutrition, I did that in my first race, I didn't know my body well enough, bonked at about the 65 mile mark of a 100 mile race after running through all the food I was told take along, rode into a mini mart gas station and bought a sandwich! Along with that knowing when to eat. Having the proper tools to fix their bike along with the skills to fix it especially flats. Failure to read the local weather and then carrying the wrong clothing. Failure to ride the course before the event to get an idea of what the course is all about. They try to copy what pros do, but they're not pros. Practice eating and drinking without weaving all over the road trying to do so, this is where a lot of crashes happen in the amateur ranks. Failure to make sure they can afford to fix or replace damaged bikes and or parts.

Reactions: AlanManley
For me it was which bike was most suitable... I had always ridden mountain bikes as a kid and so that's what I got a a commuter. I realised it was sucking my energy up and so then I got a hybrid just because this was the closest to a mountain bike that I could get without being a mountain bike and losing speed on the roads... I was hesitant about getting a road bike as I wasnt sure if I would have gotten on with it.

I have just ordered my first road bike and in hindsight with the style of riding i do (all on road) I should have done it a year ago instead of buying a hybrid.

Nutrition is probably the second mistake I made, I often over ate when doing longer rides however I have now sorted this I believe.