What's a cycling dork?

Haha- 5'6" and 210...not fat, but with a small beer gut- just built literally like a tree trunk,
And every bit of it gets crammed into lycra every chance I get:)

cachehiker said:
I am also a cycling dork.

Physically, I have a build better suited to carrying heavy packs: 160 lbs. on a 5'7" frame. I furthermore won't shave my legs until I give up carrying heavy packs and spending nights in sleeping bags.

LOL - -

BTW - Descente, Assos and others make nice jerseys that don't look like billboards.

IMHO - wearing an 'advertising' jersey is incredibly narcissistic. The cycling form of Kanji character decals and Type R stickers on your Honda.

Fine if you're on a team, but if you're not you're a poseur.

Rudy said:
You've lost weights and feel better on a $1000 investment, that's GREAT!!!!
Now this $1000 bike will last you many more years to come, so it's a worthy investment. Just think of those who've spent tons of money on exercising equipments and health club membership but never use them.
I guess I too must be a cycling dork. I ride a Claud Butler San Remo road bike and wear a U.S postal or the yellow jersey (Women can dream too!!) with my cycling shorts I can't afford cycling shoes so I wear my trainers and the dreaded white sports socks, but I do enjoy getting out on my bike and trying to improve.

I was going to list all of the reasons that I'm a cycling dork (couldn't are less if I dent and scratch my car but can't stand it if I dent or scratch my bike(s), ride my bike to work in nasty weather because I prefer that to driving my car, wear cycling cloths that make my coworkers think I'm nuts, etc., etc., etc...) but I realized it could take all day. Suffice to say... I'm a dork.

I think we need to clear the air here.

There are two terms being thrown around here that are NOT interchangable.

Bike Dork: baggy shorts, street shoes, etc

Bike GEEK: loves the gear, wears the clothes proudly, high end bikes, etc

There are some circumstances where a person is both a Geek and a Dork, such as:

Rides a $4000 tri bike, but his position is so out of wack, it looks like he's in a perpetual squat, with a pedal stroke of about 1 inch...all the while in matching "sponsor" outfit (complete with socks and matching helmet)

Full Postal outfit and matching Madone.. at 10 mph

I, for one, am a Bike Geek

hdtvkss said:
hmm im a pretty serious cycler but mainly in the mountain bike arena. My MTB is ok, middle of the road and par for the course as a entry level racing bike goes. However given that i live miles from the track, my training focuese on my Road bike

I found my roadie out the front of my next door neihbours house ready for the junk heap. Its a no name brand i think " Bennet"??? and had buckled wheels, old heavy gear changers that didnt work, non existant pedals etc. All it took was a little TLC and now i have a bike that i love. I take it out to the Olypmics area at homebush in sydney and ride along with all the other pro cyclists and i really dont give a flying about what they think about my bike. Sure in a race they would eat me alive but on my free bike im having at least as much fun as they are and at the end of the day it more than serves its purpose as my training mule for my MTB.

Good on you. I spend many hours a week riding around the same area. I'll be riding the inexpensive Blue Kona, with the dorky aerobars out the front and I'll be doing what I love. I saw somewhere a quote attributed to H.G.Wells which went something like, "The more adults I see on a bicycle, the less I despair for the human race". Dorky or not, I agree.

Rudy said:
OK I've seen the term being used loosely here from time to time. And this thread may open up some very wide difference of opinions.

But I've seens posts where a people were being referred to as a cycling dork when they use aerobar on a road bike.

OR

Someone who just started out in cycling purchasing an expensive bike or a tri bike

OR someone who's not yet a strong rider (or will never be) riding on a race tri bike.

But isn't it all about enjoying something ? and get the experience of doing all these things?

I saw someone on the weekend in an 80km community cycling event wearing a short sleeve button up shirt, shorts with a belt, long socks and loafers on a Chinese K-Mart special. I thought the ensemble interesting, but to his credit, he was out there on the road as well and for that he deserves credit.

Am i a cycling geek because i read "ProCycling" during class, read these forums on my lunch break, stick funny looking cycling pics on random student's lockers and get them beat up. Now besides school, am i a cycling geek because i practice my winning pose while training, wear my black tour de france tee to a funeral jk there, make sure i have 2 month supply of gatorade powder, and rent videos and go to the grocery in all my gear.

I am told by my friends I am a cycling geek, for many reasons, including:

1. I train more than any of them can believe. (Meaning more than the football team)

2. I, also, often read magazines at school.

3. I'm never embarassed about the subject of skintight clothes.

4. The walls of my room are covered with posters and stickers that are bike-related.

But don't these sound perfectly normal to all of you?

Cycling Dork? My thought is that might be someone who feels really cool (but definiately is NOT) -- because they ride. Most cycling look moronic on their bikes...I am sure I am included here, but THINK that they look really neato-stylish -- Dorkism indeed.

One of my friends called me a 'geek' the other day after I told her I was buying my sixth bike. But she didn't mean it the way most of you guys would understand it. I would never ever ever wear the cycling gear or have a high-end racing or touring bike. I ride cruisers and customized choppers and when my friend learned I bought a Firebike (8' 2" long) she rolled her eyes and called me a 'geek.'

I guess we come in all colours and flavours. But if owning a Firebike makes me a geek I am one proud geek.

:D

Saeco'ligious said:
Cycling Dork? My thought is that might be someone who feels really cool (but definiately is NOT) -- because they ride. Most cycling look moronic on their bikes...I am sure I am included here, but THINK that they look really neato-stylish -- Dorkism indeed.

Hahaha! I think you're right. Most of us (myself included) probably look like dorks to most everyone else when we're riding. Despite the fact that we think we look really cool.

4.) I've been known to walk around a supermarket, forgetting to turn the tail-light off.

LOL that is so me! I think I've found my room
I'm a big girl riding in street clothes ( because my bike is my car, too) My 90 is the most expensive thing I've ever bought (I know it's no litespeed but one of these days I want to afford a rivendell)
None of my gear matches.I'm thankful just to have it :eek:

Without any shadow of a doubt, the goofiest looking guy that I ever saw on a bike was just cresting one of the toughest passes in Colorado when I saw him on my drive headed in to Crested Butte.

A dork? Far from it.