What's a Fred?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jiyang Chen, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    Sorry... I am a newbie.

    Thanks, Jiyang

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:44:01 +0000, Jiyang Chen wrote:

    > Sorry... I am a newbie.

    A ~Fred~ is anyone you happen not to agree with or perhaps who does not understand some of the finer
    points of cycling.

    It is a derogatory term the use of which is intended to imply that the user is a real hot-shit.

    It's a noun of neuter gender so a woman can also be a ~Fred~

  3. Jamce1

    Jamce1 Guest

    chris

    >Subject: Re: What's a Fred? From: Benjamin Weiner [email protected] Date: 8/1/03 3:31 AM
    >Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Sorry... I am a newbie.
    >
    >Someone who doesn't use google to research questions in the rbr archive (which does bear some
    >resemblance to Borges's Library of Babel). Especially FAQs like this one, which has been answered
    >often, e.g.
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=91the3%24hd5%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

  4. Jamce1 wrote:

    Well it will now, just below your name :)

  5. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorry... I am a newbie.

    If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.

    If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.

    If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts, non-bibs,
    you ARE a Fred (in a major way).

    If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    err... Fred.

    If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros train by
    hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."

    You are welcome, KJP.

  6. stilltime1

    stilltime1 Guest

    went to the google site, thanks < these maroons are not only super freds but witless idiots > I'm a
    newbie too, what is a maroon? thanks

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    >
    > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    >
    > If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    >
    > If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts, non-bibs,
    > you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    >
    > If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    > err... Fred.
    >
    > If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros train
    > by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    >
    > You are welcome, KJP.

    If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.

    Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?

  8. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > went to the google site, thanks < these maroons are not only super freds but witless idiots > I'm
    > a newbie too, what is a maroon? thanks

    Anyone who uses WebTV

  9. Jay Pique

    Jay Pique Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:34:32 -0800, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    >>
    >> If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    >>
    >> If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    >>
    >> If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts, non-bibs,
    >> you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    >>
    >> If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    >> err... Fred.
    >>
    >> If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros train
    >> by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    >>
    >> You are welcome, KJP.
    >
    >If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    >
    >Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?

    I'm not sure, but I think I saw a Fred the other day. I was shooting for a personal best, but the
    wind wasn't cooperating so I was really trying to push it through the turns. About 1 square foot of
    road rash later I passed a guy that made me feel a whole lot better about myself. Fred was on a road
    bike with toe-clips, sneakers, white tube-socks (pulled up), black biking shorts and a bright yellow
    helmet. Nothing else. He didn't appear to have been out long, as his fat, doughy body was still a
    sickly white. Even with blood streaming down the left side of my body I still felt less Fredlike
    than that cat.

    JP
    **************************
    Is the wind *always* in your face going around Lake Dillon?

  10. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    > >
    > > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    > >
    > > If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    > >
    > > If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts,
    > > non-bibs, you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    > >
    > > If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    > > err... Fred.
    > >
    > > If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros train
    > > by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    > >
    > > You are welcome, KJP.
    >
    > If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    >
    > Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?

    Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a Fred.
    He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.

    -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR 139,
    max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.

  11. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    > >
    > > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    > >
    > > If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    > >
    > > If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts,
    > > non-bibs, you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    > >
    > > If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    > > err... Fred.
    > >
    > > If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros train
    > > by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    > >
    > > You are welcome, KJP.
    >
    > If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    >
    > Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?

    Do you see me wearing any of it? Do you see me buying any of it?

    Nope.

  12. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts,
    > > > non-bibs, you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    > > >
    > > > If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    > > > err... Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros
    > > > train by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    > > >
    > > > You are welcome, KJP.
    > >
    > > If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    > >
    > > Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?
    >
    > Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a Fred.
    > He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.
    >
    > -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR 139,
    > max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.

    Excellent, indoor or outdoor? It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.

    Dashii

  13. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    What kind of excercise on or off the bike can I try to increase my power during sprints? I am ok
    when I bike at a sustained effort, but I am really lack in my sprinting.

    Jiyang

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you do not have a mirror attached to your helmet you're a Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you wear a pro jersey then you're a pro. If you wear nothing but Performance shorts,
    > > > non-bibs, you ARE a Fred (in a major way).
    > > >
    > > > If you use chamois gel for a 10 mile ride and have hairy legs then of course you're a dork...
    > > > err... Fred.
    > > >
    > > > If you calculate your average speed to the 100th's of kph or mph then you ARE a Fred. Pros
    > > > train by hours. Freds aim for "19.34 mph on today's 30 mile training ride."
    > > >
    > > > You are welcome, KJP.
    > >
    > > If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    > >
    > > Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?
    >
    > Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a Fred.
    > He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.
    >
    > -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR 139,
    > max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.

  14. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > went to the google site, thanks < these maroons are not only super freds but witless idiots > I'm
    > a newbie too, what is a maroon? thanks

    dude what no Roger Rabbit? You not know about RK Maroon and tha Matoon cartoons? No Toon Town...
    dam deprived.

    Also the famouse B Bunny quote "Whatta Maroon..."

  15. There really are no "freds", it is a term that primarily speaks to the state of its user as a bitter
    never-was, still in the high-school mode of trying to feel better by pointing out the shortcomings
    of others.

    Any grandmother on a bike is way cooler than a nasty little racer who actually thinks his "wattage
    output" means something to anyone.

  16. "remove the polite word to reply" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There really are no "freds", it is a term that primarily speaks to the state of its user as a
    > bitter never-was, still in the high-school mode of trying to feel better by pointing out the
    > shortcomings of others.
    >
    > Any grandmother on a bike is way cooler than a nasty little racer who actually thinks his "wattage
    > output" means something to anyone.

    Dumbass -

    The state of Fredliness doesn't have anything to do with wattage output.

  17. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > If you take any advise from a NG on what defines a Fred , you are one.
    > > >
    > > > Ken, what are you if you have all USPS gear, "pro" or "Fred"?
    > >
    > > Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a
    > > Fred. He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.
    > >
    > > -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR
    > > 139, max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.
    >
    > Excellent, indoor or outdoor?

    I never ride indoors.

    > It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.

    237 watts is not alot for somebody who weighs 97kg. It was an easy, race tune-up ride.

    -WG

  18. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What kind of excercise on or off the bike can I try to increase my power during sprints? I am ok
    > when I bike at a sustained effort, but I am really lack in my sprinting.

    You need muscle strength and the ability to be efficient at 100+ rpm's.

    I do 5 or 6 different variations of sprint intervals. You could try sprints that are 15 seconds
    long, rapid acceleration, and hold 130+ rpm's for the last 5 seconds or so. Use 90-100% effort.
    Seated or standing (until you're up to 100+ rpm's then finish seated). On the flat or a slight
    hill. On a hill is better for strength. 2 minutes recovery between sprints. Do sets of 2-4 sprints,
    rest 5 minutes between sets. 1 to 4 sets. Do them on a day you're well-rested after a good warm-up.
    Don't plan on being able to do anything after this training. I can do 10 of these sprints. Micheli
    Bartoli does 20.

    -WG