What's a Fred?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jiyang Chen, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > What kind of excercise on or off the bike can I try to increase my power during sprints? I am ok
    > when I bike at a sustained effort, but I am really lack in my sprinting.
    >

    > Jiyang

    Leg work with weights. As a Fred who hasn't won anything more than a training race, I suggest you
    set a goal of 250 lbs on the leg press. 300 would be better. Squats require exacting technique to
    avoid injury, so get a trainer's help.

  2. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > > What kind of excercise on or off the bike can I try to increase my power during sprints? I am ok
    > > when I bike at a sustained effort, but I am really lack in my sprinting.
    > >

    > > Jiyang
    >
    > Leg work with weights. As a Fred who hasn't won anything more than a training race, I suggest you
    > set a goal of 250 lbs on the leg press. 300 would be better.

    Recommendations for weight amounts are only relevant if you know what the person's current strength
    is and how much the person weighs. The amounts you suggested are less than what I used for squats,
    never mind leg presses.

    > Squats require exacting technique to avoid injury, so get a trainer's help.

    Why do you think squats and leg presses would do more for a person's sprint than sprinting up hills?

    You can do more effective strength training on the bike, that is, unless your legs are really
    weak, you're trapped indoors, or you're training for track events. A key component of sprinting
    and the ability to recover quickly (so you can do more sprints) is your aerobic fitness and that's
    better done on the bike. Most people also need to improve their technique and you won't learn that
    in the gym.

    -WG

  3. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    How do you measure your power? I use analytic cycling, but don't know if it's very accurate.

    Ji "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:010820032238124934%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, Nick
    Burns

    > > > Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a
    > > > Fred. He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.
    > > >
    > > > -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR
    > > > 139, max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.
    > >
    > > Excellent, indoor or outdoor?
    >
    > I never ride indoors.
    >
    > > It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.
    >
    > 237 watts is not alot for somebody who weighs 97kg. It was an easy, race tune-up ride.
    >
    > -WG

  4. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    According to Analytic Cycling, 237 is 10.78 meters/second, or around 24 mph. You must be really fit.

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820032238124934%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, Nick
    Burns

    > > > Since he can ride his bike well enough to have fun racing with the 3's or better, he's not a
    > > > Fred. He's trendy, which is so common here in CA that being trendy is not even trendy.
    > > >
    > > > -WG I just rode 78 minutes, average cadence 96, average power 237, max power 960, average HR
    > > > 139, max HR 168. How fast? How far? I have no idea.
    > >
    > > Excellent, indoor or outdoor?
    >
    > I never ride indoors.
    >
    > > It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.
    >
    > 237 watts is not alot for somebody who weighs 97kg. It was an easy, race tune-up ride.
    >
    > -WG

  5. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820032238124934%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, Nick
    Burns
    > > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Excellent, indoor or outdoor?
    >
    > I never ride indoors.
    >
    > > It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.
    >
    > 237 watts is not alot for somebody who weighs 97kg. It was an easy, race tune-up ride.

    Oh! How would you know that if you never tried it before? i.e. measuring your wattage output for
    over an hour.

    Just curious, I know that I couldn't do it outdoors because of all of the stopping and
    starting required.

    Dashii

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:010820032238124934%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:010820031857245175%[email protected]...
    > Burns
    > > >
    > > > Excellent, indoor or outdoor?
    > >
    > > I never ride indoors.
    > >
    > > > It's really difficult to get a high power output on the road.
    > >
    > > 237 watts is not alot for somebody who weighs 97kg. It was an easy, race tune-up ride.
    >
    > Oh! How would you know that if you never tried it before? i.e. measuring your wattage output for
    > over an hour.

    I assumed you meant an effort as hard as possible for the entire hour and I have never done that-not
    just the average during an hour of various efforts and intervals. Do you want to know my average
    power for a three-hour ride too?

    -WG

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > According to Analytic Cycling, 237 is 10.78 meters/second, or around 24 mph. You must be
    > really fit.

    You are neglecting the consideration of aerodynamic drag and the rider's weight. For me, 237 watts
    is a bit less than 20mph. I use a Polar S710 and the power attachment and it is accurate within 5%.

    -WG

  8. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    warren wrote:
    > .... Most people also need to improve their (sprint) technique and you won't learn that in
    > the gym.
    >
    > -WG

    So what constitutes good technique (or where is this question answered) ?

    Thanks in advance,

    Fred, sorry, &roo

  9. "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > warren wrote:
    > > .... Most people also need to improve their (sprint) technique and you won't learn that in
    > > the gym.
    > >
    > > -WG
    >
    > So what constitutes good technique (or where is this question answered) ?

    Not taking out half the field in the last kilo?

    -T

  10. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > warren wrote:
    > > .... Most people also need to improve their (sprint) technique and you won't learn that in
    > > the gym.
    > >
    > > -WG
    >
    > So what constitutes good technique (or where is this question answered) ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Fred, sorry, &roo

    I can't think of a clear way to describe technique in words. Do a search on my posts from the last
    week because I already posted on how to improve your sprint.

    -WG

  11. > Dumbass -

    > The state of Fredliness doesn't have anything to do with wattage output.

    Yes Good point! Lance Armstrong is a Fred 'cause he's nasty to slow rders! It should now be called
    "Tour de Fred"

  12. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Ken,

    I think you got that one mixed-up. The underwear/cycling short combo is very "Fredly".

    [email protected] (K. J. Papai) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    >
    > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    >

    > You are welcome, KJP.

  13. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken,
    >
    > I think you got that one mixed-up. The underwear/cycling short combo is very "Fredly".

    Obviously (and done on purpose on my part of course).

    > [email protected] (K. J. Papai) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Sorry... I am a newbie.
    > >
    > > If you do not wear underwear underneath your shorts you're a Fred.
    > >

    > > You are welcome, KJP.

  14. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Anyone with a US passport, of course.