What's a good age to start serious cycling?

sportsmed

Feb 24, 2007
Many of you probably belong to clubs with programs for children. What's your experience with starting young people with cycling?:rolleyes:

I for one, don't believe in parents forcing their kids to start being serious at a young age.. in the sense of forcing them to training or forcing them to do this or that. I prefer the word encourage. Encourage them to take up an outdoor activity and get out more.

I have passed throught the junior ranks in aussie tennis and in my time I have seen many such 'sports parents'. The full-on fanatical kind.

Most of these 'sports parents' kids are pretty damn good at the earlier ages, but when you hit the 16 - 18 age groups, you can see that some of them tend to just fall behind - burn out etc.

The point is, the motivation must come from the kid themselves and a pressurising parent may kill that motivation.

While you may love cycling heaps, I think its best to just introduce you kids to the sport and see if it clicks. Maybe football or swimming might be more their cup of tea? Who knows.

*Awesome blog by the way.

What age do they start with racing bikes? I suppose coordination is a problem for under 10 yrs.

sportsmed said:
Many of you probably belong to clubs with programs for children. What's your experience with starting young people with cycling?:rolleyes:
Swim programs start at 6 months. I suggest cyclng before full upright walking begins, say 3 wheelers at 12 months, running is a natural ability by 2. I guess a fully trained Try-Athlete by 3. :eek:

See here for open competition from 7: http://www.weetbix.com.au/try/