What's A Good All Purpose Moutain Bike?

May 9, 2015
I'm looking for a good mountain bike that is great for trails and can handle pavement preferably in a full suspension. Is there an advantage to disc brakes? Any information of any kind on the subject will help greatly.

Well, if you're planning on buying a full suspension bike its best to make sure you pay good whack for it as these bikes tend be more complicated to maintain, cheaper bikes are more likely to go wrong. Also cheaper bikes tend to be heavier which can be a bit of pain when you want to transport the bike or riding uphill. Wet, muddy British mountain biking is especially hostile to full suspension bikes, although proper post-ride cleaning and lubing helps a lot and better bikes have pivots that are more durable, better protected and easier to service. So yeah, if you are buying full suspension and you intend to get alot of use out of the bike and are serious abour your riding be prepared to pay $$$, you wont regret it.

Hardtail bikes are cheaper, easier to maintain and not as heavy due to there being less peices. With no pivots, rear shock and other complications, there’s simply less to wear out or go wrong with a hardtail. That means you spend more time riding and less time on repair and maintenance. Also with hardtail bikes you can get a way better quality and lighter frame for less money, so you will still have a swish looking bike! And, by the way, I have alot more respect for cyclists who use hard tails as they take way more skill to manuevre than full suspension bikes.
Oh yeah, and on hard ground and long distance rides hardtails are better for energy efficiency as less energy is wasted in bouncing the suspension up and down hile u peddle!

Thats my 2 penny contribution, please do your research, and go into some bike shops and test some bikes out, maybe even rent a couple of bikes for a day until you really know what you're looking for.

Totalarmordestine said:
I'm looking for a good mountain bike that is great for trails and can handle pavement preferably in a full suspension. Is there an advantage to disc brakes? Any information of any kind on the subject will help greatly.
What kind of trails?
Why do you prefer full suspension?
How much do you want to spend?

I agree with everyone else we would need more information on exactly what you want to do with that bike. Honestly, a good 'all purpose' can be bought at wall mart . We really need more information.

Grimp said:
Well, if you're planning on buying a full suspension bike its best to make sure you pay good whack for it as these bikes tend be more complicated to maintain, cheaper bikes are more likely to go wrong. Also cheaper bikes tend to be heavier which can be a bit of pain when you want to transport the bike or riding uphill. Wet, muddy British mountain biking is especially hostile to full suspension bikes, although proper post-ride cleaning and lubing helps a lot and better bikes have pivots that are more durable, better protected and easier to service. So yeah, if you are buying full suspension and you intend to get alot of use out of the bike and are serious abour your riding be prepared to pay $$$, you wont regret it.

Hardtail bikes are cheaper, easier to maintain and not as heavy due to there being less peices. With no pivots, rear shock and other complications, there’s simply less to wear out or go wrong with a hardtail. That means you spend more time riding and less time on repair and maintenance. Also with hardtail bikes you can get a way better quality and lighter frame for less money, so you will still have a swish looking bike! And, by the way, I have alot more respect for cyclists who use hard tails as they take way more skill to manuevre than full suspension bikes.
Oh yeah, and on hard ground and long distance rides hardtails are better for energy efficiency as less energy is wasted in bouncing the suspension up and down hile u peddle!

Thats my 2 penny contribution, please do your research, and go into some bike shops and test some bikes out, maybe even rent a couple of bikes for a day until you really know what you're looking for.
Thank you for the information. As I had mentioned the other day, I am contemplating on buying a new bike, a mountain bike. I have plans of biking from Manila to that cool place Tagaytay and spend the night. It would be fun to be like a teenager again. It's a long distance travel of about 80 kilometers in highways so I am having second thoughts not of my physical capability but of my bike because it is an old one already.

Hello,
I’m not sure what you would need the mountain bike for but the Mongoose brand is a good and acceptable price. If you’re just looking to go around town this would be ideal because it’s a trail bike but if you’re going to be cross training or doing time trials then you need to go with something a bit more efficient like the XC brand they have full suspension bikes. Either way you will have to choose which one suits your needs and then go with what you can afford.

Thank you,
Eileen100

My girlfriend and I recently just went through finding a suitable bike for general exercise, and for taking with us on our motorhome. We researched and found that what is considered a hybrid bike was what we both wanted. Strong, light weight, easy rolling resistance, adaptable! So then we wanted a good quality, may be American made? Unfortunately that last part got very expensive.
So we had to consider other alternatives, imports. But after talking with a lot of shops and research. We settled with the Trek brand. Model 7100, now listed as 7.0. And after a year of living with them, we have had only problems with some cheap components rusting. But no real failures. All in all, a robust bike (we have racks front and rear and some bags). Very easy to ride some long distances. Fair off road , excellent on road, up right riding stance.
At first we considered mountain type bikes, but the riding stance (leaning forward) and the exhausting resistance of having the wide tires. Was something we did not like.
Part of our research was actually renting different types of bikes for a day. Highly suggested! :D