Whats a good budget?

dm3553

Jul 21, 2009
I'm planning on buying a mountain bike sometime before next spring. I've been looking around for a while now, but there is so many different options at so many price points so I don't really know what is a good target price range. This isn't the first time I'll be getting a bike, just the first time in a few years so I don't want to buy a budget entry level bike. However I also don't want to buy a top of line the line bike. So what is a price point to shoot for that will get me a solid bike? Also any suggestions in particular?

dm3553 said:
I'm planning on buying a mountain bike sometime before next spring. I've been looking around for a while now, but there is so many different options at so many price points so I don't really know what is a good target price range. This isn't the first time I'll be getting a bike, just the first time in a few years so I don't want to buy a budget entry level bike. However I also don't want to buy a top of line the line bike. So what is a price point to shoot for that will get me a solid bike? Also any suggestions in particular?

We can't tell you what your budget is.

What are you looking for; road bike, mountain bike, hybrid bike?

GT Fanatic said:
We can't tell you what your budget is.

What are you looking for; road bike, mountain bike, hybrid bike?

I'm looking for a mountain bike. I guess I just wanted to find out a ballpark estimate of what I should expect to pay for a nice solid bike.

Whatever it is, it won't be enough. You could have a bike designed by a consortium of all the best engineers, hand built by Lamborghini with a titanium frame, solid iridium bearings, grips padded with hand-stitched lambskin, and somebody would post within an hour to tell you how much better it would have been if you'd just put another $200 into some part.

Depends on too many factors. Instead, I would suggest looking for these features:

• 27 gear drivetrain (9x3)
  • Front suspension forks by Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi, or RockShox

dm3553 said:
I'm looking for a mountain bike. I guess I just wanted to find out a ballpark estimate of what I should expect to pay for a nice solid bike.

For a nice, solid bike, you could spend as little as about $550 for a mountain bike. My wife got a 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc for $380 (retail $550) on sale at Performance Bike and it has taken a beating. The only complaint either of us have is the front derailleur, which is **** at best. I have a new one on order for her ($40).

I have a 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0. I got it for $765 (retail $900). I've been on the same trails as my wife has, and both bikes have held up very well. My bike has the better componentry (smoother derailleurs, longer handlebars, better fork) but aside from the front derailleur on my wife's bike, no complaints about either!

My recommendations for a solid mountain bike (no order):

GT Avalanche 3.0 DISC, 2.0, 1.0
Giant XTC1 or XTC2
Cannondale F5
Specialized Rock Hopper Expert Disc

Also look into a few Treks, Kona, Jamis, and Gary Fisher.

dm3553 said:

A personal choice, as others have said, but you might consider the Trek 4300 or 4500 or the Specialized Hard Rock Sportdisc.

I think, but this is just my personal opinion (I have to do that bold stuff because some here can't read and miss that point whenever I write it normally), that $800 plus or minus roughly $100 will buy you a very good mountain bike. In my opinion, anything over that and you run into a situation of small gains but larger outlays of cash plus being a mtb you will crash and burn and don't want to mar up a $2,000 bike; anything under the price I mentioned and the components won't hold up to abuse as well.

Another excellent brand of MTB's is the Kona brand, but there are at least a dozen others just as good as others have and will mention, such as Giant.