What's a good front derailler?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by asahitoro, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    It will be going with a SRAM ESP 9.0 setup. I'd like to stay under $40 if I can. Is the Shimano 750
    good? My bike is an older Giant CFM 4 that I"m gradually upgrading parts/components on. Thanks for
    any input,

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:41:10 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    None, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  3. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:41:10 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > None, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    > mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Bill,

    Thanks for the input. I figured that my choices were slim. I'll just kick my chain into gear from
    now on and save some money.

    Scott

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:41:10 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > None, Bill
    >
    > Bill,
    >
    > Thanks for the input. I figured that my choices were slim. I'll just kick my chain into gear from
    > now on and save some money.
    >
    > Scott

    Ignore the Bloody Wheeler, Scott - he's just on an obsessive singlespeed kick. There is no hope left
    for him, poor sod....

    Shaun aRe - Shimano LX?

  5. On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:49:58 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    > Shaun aRe - Shimano LX?

    LX is good. XT is only slightly more expensive, but frankly I haven't noticed any real difference
    between my current XT front mech and the Deore one on my old bike.

  6. Huw Pritchard wrote in message ...
    >On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:49:58 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    >
    >> Shaun aRe - Shimano LX?
    >
    >LX is good. XT is only slightly more expensive, but frankly I haven't noticed any real difference
    >between my current XT front mech and the Deore one on my old bike.

    Isn't it obvious? one says "deore" the other says "XT", thats got to be worth spending the
    extra, no?

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:49:58 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe - Shimano LX?
    >
    > LX is good. XT is only slightly more expensive, but frankly I haven't noticed any real difference
    > between my current XT front mech and the Deore one on my old bike.

    I find the Deore ones wear quickly at the pivots, causing slop that seriously limits the effective
    range of movement. Last one I had lasted about 5 months, this one is showing signs of getting tired
    - slow to pick up and drop gears already. That's my experience of recent Deore fr. mechs anyhow.

    Cheers.

    Shaun aRe - gonna replace it with LX or XT.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[)* <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Huw Pritchard wrote in message ...
    > >On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:49:58 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    > >
    > >> Shaun aRe - Shimano LX?
    > >
    > >LX is good. XT is only slightly more expensive, but frankly I haven't noticed any real difference
    > >between my current XT front mech and the
    Deore
    > >one on my old bike.
    > >

    > Isn't it obvious? one says "deore" the other says "XT", thats got to be worth spending the
    > extra, no?

    I think Shit-man-no spends more money on their Deore parts than the more expensive ones - it's gota
    take some serious research to find pivot/bushing materials that wear that fuecking quick. I have an
    LX rear mech on now, and it's already lasted longer than the two Deore ones I had before put
    together - same thing as with the front mechs - pivots wear giving too much slop for them to still
    function correctly.

    Shaun aRe

  9. [email protected] wrote:
    > It will be going with a SRAM ESP 9.0 setup. I'd like to stay under $40 if I can. Is the Shimano
    > 750 good? My bike is an older Giant CFM 4 that I"m gradually upgrading parts/components on. Thanks
    > for any input,
    >
    > Scott

    People are going to vote me off the island for even saying this, but I strongly recommend going for
    the gold and getting the XTR.

    Why spend the extra cash?

    They last. I just swapped over the front deraillleur from the NRS to the Blur. Cleaned it up and it
    looked like new. This same derailleur inhabited my NRS from the previous season, and the Schwinn
    before that. It is still bright and tight.

    The differential shifting plates really do work well, aiding in very quick and smooth shifting.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  10. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:41:10 GMT, [email protected] blathered:

    >It will be going with a SRAM ESP 9.0 setup. I'd like to stay under $40 if I can. Is the Shimano 750
    >good? My bike is an older Giant CFM 4 that I"m gradually upgrading parts/components on. Thanks for
    >any input,

    Don't get too hung up on the model; the design is more important. Assuming your frame design can
    handle it (and some FS frames can't) a conventional front mech -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoXTF-MechConventional.gif

    ...will be more durable than a top swing design -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/productimages/GearMechsFrontShimanoXTF-MechTopSwing.gif

    I haven't had a TS design of any flavour last more than a year, but I've got an old LX mech on one
    bike that's still going strong after 8 years.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  11. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Look hard, their still around Sram front derailleur.
    > 9. or Neos,I have one 9.0 and two Neos. Don't look for new line Sram stopp- ed making front
    > derailleurs.
    >
    > Fire up MTB 03

    Thanks for the replies everyone,

    Yes, I would like to find a SRAM 9.0 front derailleur. I've heard good things about them. Does
    anyone sell them online? My other components are SRAM 9.0. Wonder why they stopped making front
    derailleurs?

    Scott

  12. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    If you really looking for a Sram front derailler,check out Cambria Bicycle Outfitter.

    Fire up MTB 03