what's a good heart rate monitor?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by su22, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. su22

    su22 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Hi, im looking to buy a heart rate monitor of some sort, and I am stumped by the different models out there!

    ive only started doing tri's, but am really keen on improving. any experience/advice on good models? has anyone used the Polar computer software? how useful is that?

    id really appreciate any help!

    Thanks

    Su

    Tags:

  2. Blimp

    Blimp New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2002
    Polar S710/720

    don't bother with anything else

  3. "su22" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, im looking to buy a heart rate monitor of some sort, and I am stumped by the different models
    > out there!
    >
    > ive only started doing tri's, but am really keen on improving. any experience/advice on good
    > models? has anyone used the Polar computer software? how useful is that?
    >
    > id really appreciate any help!

    I have a polar with lot's of whistles and bells and to be honest, all I ever use is the
    current/average/max heart rate. Although I do occasionally look at the calories burned. Save your
    money and get a basic model. I do recommend a polar though, for one simple reason. When the weather
    forces me to the gym to work out, my chest strap is compatible with every machine there...

    James

  4. Theodor Seiz

    Theodor Seiz Guest

    720i

    Every other Polar works fine as well, but you wont be happy until you have the top model. Speaking
    from experience ...

    The cadence unit is very useful in theory (and on my indoor roller) but absolutely useless
    on the road.

  5. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    I have a Polar S410 ... very pleased with it. I upload my data to my PC to keep track of my
    progress. The software is okay (it could use an update ... but it works just fine).

    BBB "Theodor Seiz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 720i
    >
    > Every other Polar works fine as well, but you wont be happy until you have the top model. Speaking
    > from experience ...
    >
    > The cadence unit is very useful in theory (and on my indoor roller) but absolutely useless on
    > the road.

  6. Rookie

    Rookie Guest

    [email protected] (Theodor Seiz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > 720i
    >
    > Every other Polar works fine as well, but you wont be happy until you have the top model. Speaking
    > from experience ...
    >
    > The cadence unit is very useful in theory (and on my indoor roller) but absolutely useless on
    > the road.

    I disagree. I have been using a pretty basic Polar model (simply has heart rate, stopwatch, upper
    and lower training zones, a backlight and a clock) for about 6 years now and never had any problems
    with it or felt that I needed more features. They don't make my particular model anymore but you
    could pick up something with similar features for less than $100. I reckon that there are quite
    enough other toys to blow your money on - as long as it's waterproof and tells you how hard you are
    going what more do you need?! Although I guess having altimeters, thermometers, calorie counters,
    etc built in could help stave off boredom on those long training sessions and downloading your
    training graphs into your laptop must be a great way of killing a bit of time at work without
    looking like you are slacking...

    Would recommend Polar though as I had two other brands previously which fell apart.

  7. su22 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, im looking to buy a heart rate monitor of some sort, and I am stumped by the different models
    > out there!
    >
    > ive only started doing tri's, but am really keen on improving. any experience/advice on good
    > models? has anyone used the Polar computer software? how useful is that?
    >
    > id really appreciate any help!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Su

    I have a S150--pretty basic, doubles as a bike computer. It's as sophisticated as I care to get. No
    download capabilities (I sit infront of a computer too much already). It'll give you average HR as
    well as percent max HR in addition to the more common readings. It's reasonably priced at a little
    more than $100.

  8. I have a Sportcraft from Walmart. $37. Waterproof, I can wear chest strap under bathing suit but it
    5% of the time showing a 0 reading for heartrate in the water so it malfunctions occasionally.

  9. [email protected] (LighthouseView99) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Sportcraft from Walmart. $37. Waterproof, I can wear chest strap under bathing suit but
    > it 5% of the time showing a 0 reading for heartrate in the water so it malfunctions occasionally.

    I think you're wearing your speedos too high ;-)

  10. Polar A5 has everything you need.

    Average, %age you can look at how you did in the last session to!

    save your money and go for this.

  11. Dsmoothe

    Dsmoothe Guest

    Hey! If anyone wants a great deal on a Brand New Polar S720i Heart Rate Monitor(well below retail),
    send me an e-mail at [email protected]

    Thanks

    Blimp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > su22 wrote:
    > > Hi, im looking to buy a heart rate monitor of some sort, and I am stumped by the different
    > > models out there! ive only started doing tri's, but am really keen on improving. any
    > > experience/advice on good models? has anyone used the Polar computer software? how useful is
    > > that? id really appreciate any help! Thanks Su
    >

    > Polar S710/720
    >
    > don't bother with anything else

  12. Witheld

    Witheld Guest

    Blimp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3f1f22d9
    > Polar S710/720
    >
    > don't bother with anything else

    Not so fast... ; )

    I have a basic Polar model; I used it a couple of years. I am now using a Timex. Both performed
    equally well.

    I prefer the Timex because the company has broader distribution channels. This may not be important
    to your situation.

    I like the knowledge that I can stop at any drug store and be able to get the right replacement
    batteries. I can then change the battery myself, without voiding the warranty.

    With the Polar I end up shipping it to Woodbury, NY. This makes Polar allot like Oakly to me. They
    are very "user-friendly", but far less "owner-friendly".

    If fretting over the in transit security of your Polar for a week or two, plus shipping costs,
    doesn't bother you - - get a Polar.

    In summary, general usability features fall slightly in favor of the Polar. Total cost & hassle of
    ownership fall greatly in favor of Timex - - IMO.

    rsquared