What's a good MTB for around the £1500 mark?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Patthedog, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Patthedog

Patthedog New Member

I've been left some inheritance money and I wanna buy a new bike! I mainly do trails and small jumps and really just want to have a nice looking full sus I can show off to my friends... Any help would be great. Thanks!

Tags:

2. Patthedog

Patthedog New Member

Sorry, just realised I started this in the wrong section.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

How small-or-large are those jumps?

4. Patthedog

Patthedog New Member

Hand dug (well spade...) jumps and banks, not massive. Maybe 1m drops. Why?

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Well, depending on your riding skill AND the quality of the "landing zone" (I don't know what the aficionados call it) you will want either more or less suspension travel ...

A great rider can probably handle a 1 meter drop with a Hardtail which has a Rigid fork more smoothly than 'I' can with the latest-and-greatest ...

Regardless, if one of the objects is to impress your Mates, then I recommend that you consider buying something like a SANTA CRUZ BLUR frame ...

Why settle for an off-the-peg bike?!?
    Depending on your current bike's fork, if it has sufficient travel, then I would just transfer it to the new frame ...

If you need-or-want a new fork, then (FWIW) I recommend Marzocchi over other brands.

Ditto for your existing wheels, etc.

Shimano SLX is considered to be a "best buy" ...

Certainly, there doesn't appear to be a significant difference in Shimano's front derailleurs beyond the material-and-appearance of the clamp in most instances ...

I was once a big fan of XTR rear derailleurs because XT rear derailleurs were decidedly heavier (they were mostly being used on Road bikes), but solely for aesthetic reasons, XT would probably be my choice over SLX for the rear derailleur & crankset.

et cetera